The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
bddcustoms

Deciphering My Rear End

Hey,

I've got a '69 C20 with a full float rear end (on coils), and 4.57 gears. It's either an HO52 or HO72. I've read (mainly from posts) that HO52 was for 3/4 tons, while 1 tons got HO 72s. But Randy's Ring and Pinion says 3/4 tons got HO72s also. Here's what I've been able to visually verify about the axle under my truck:
- 10 bolts
- 3rd member
- pinion bearing bolt
- "HU" stamp (4.57 gears)

Other visual ques are undecipherable by me, and I'm hoping for some help and feedback from ChevyNation. Specifically, next to the pinion bearing bolt appears a 7-digit number, a six-spoke wheel icon, the letter "D", and the number "2" (see image). What the hell?

Ultimately, I want to swap in disc brakes, which I believe I can using 14-bolt kits. I would also love to get highway gears. This is a cruiser. I've read a few places that the aftermarket offers 3.90s but I can't find them on the web. Any hints? What about lockers or limited slips?

I purposely chose a 3/4 ton LB because everyone on the custom scene is doing C10 SB. I want the this big boy to be sexy and trick but still true to itself.

Any direction or perspective you might offer is welcome and appreciated.

David
Attached Images

bddcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote