The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #26
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Re: My New '68 GMC ... kinda Ouch

From the looks of the brake fluid, it needs a complete system flush. Hydraulics and contamination are enemies. If they work okay for now, keep an eye/foot on things until you do the disc swap.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #27
Droff

The brakes are going to be on my mind every time I drive it, at least until I get the disc setup swapped onto it.

I'd like some input on adding the brake booster on the truck. I took a pic of the transmission linkage and where it connects to the column. It looks to me like it's going to cause a brake booster install problem, but I haven't done this install yet, so I'm not positive if there is a workout or not.

A certain size booster or relocation of the linkage somehow?
Attached Images

Droff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #28
clay68c10

The stock booster has a spacer bracket that moves it up and forward, so no clearance problems.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #29
Droff

I figured I'd just do a test fit of the booster and see how close everything was, but having some other input helps.

A previous post in this thread questioned whether the '86 A-arms would bolt up to the '68 cross member. I found an older thread that said the A-arms should be interchangeable. Don't have a link, just did a search on control arms and conversions. If someone has some other info that contradicts me, jump in here because I plan on using the '86 parts. I can tear them down, clean them up have everything ready to go when I do the swap.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #30
Droff

Still moving forward on the A-Arm swap, all of the '86 parts need a lot of cleaning - along with ball joints and most likely bushings. The brakes are still holding pretty solid so far, no problems there.

I worked on replacing a few hoses under the hood due to some previous leaks at the PS pump and one of the tranny cooler lines. I think I got both of those corrected but I still have some problems with the PS pump.

I'd like some input on my power steering.

As the pics show, the alternator bracket is pretty much right on top of the PS pump cap, I can't get the cap off without removing the alternator AND the bracket. I need to get this corrected, just for my own use and whatever maintenance I might need to do. This is not an original setup, I have a mid 80's crate motor and I'm not so sure the truck came with PS. With that info, I don't know what year PS pump I have. So..

1. Any recommendations on a different bracket, if that is the route to take?
2. I don't think a leaky line was my only problem. I think the PS pump and maybe the gear box need rebuilt. For the pump, rebuild or just buy a reman, since I don't really know what I have? I have a 25% off coupon for a PS pump at Autozone. If I need a short neck pump, then a reman seems to be the way to go. I need a new belt as well, so a longer or shorter belt is doable either way.

Thanks for the input.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #31
Droff

Bump.
Lots of activity on here, this fell out of sight real quick. I've found several threads but still not positive on a fix, just that I'm not a one off for this problem. Maybe a bracket modification or change along with some PS pump work?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #32
jjzepplin

First...That looks to be a very nice truck. Fear not the engine stuff is minor and can all be fixed. Looks to me that your belt is a bit short. You have the correct bracket. You can get a new pump but I would hold on to your old reservoir. They just look nicer than the newer ones. I rebuilt my old pumps with ebay kits for about 12 bucks shipped. I found my steering box leaked but I just replaced the seal. 3-4 bucks. I have heard of guys going through lots of issues when replacing the whole unit. Whatever you choose - do yourself a favor and don't turn in the core until your are up and running for a week or so. That way you can still return parts if you need to to get things running right. Good luck!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #33
Droff

Thanks for the truck comments, I've gotten a lot of those.

I'll check into how much room I have to swing the pump farther from the pulley, there may be enough room to get the cap off without disassembly.

I picked up most of the front end out of an '86 3/4 ton and also grabbed the sway bar. I've read it should be 1-1/4" but I'm not sure that's what I have. I measured the width and it looks to be running 1", unless I'm measuring wrong. I need to know the size to pick up some bushings.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #34
Droff

Bump
Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #35
Droff

Any sway bar input??

I also need to add a couple license plate lights, been putting that on hold a little. I'm looking for some suggestions for my license with the bumper I have.

My only thought was drilling some holes and mounting LEDs on either side of the plate, but any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #36
Coley

That sway bar looks too small to me....for a 3/4ton?
Hmmm....my '72 is a 1/2ton and I think it has a 1-1/8"ø sway bar.....but I would have to check and its in storage right now.
Maybe some of the other guys can weigh in on what the 3/4ton sway bar diameter should be.
.....nice truck by the way!
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #37
Droff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
That sway bar looks too small to me....for a 3/4ton?
Coley
That's kind of what I was thinking, but I watched him pull it off the '86 truck. Now, I had no way to identify it was a 3/4 ton parts truck other than him telling me that and the 8 lug wheels it was sitting on.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #38
68Gold/white

Most of these pickups don't even come with a front sway bar...
I've seen varying sizes, none ever looked as large on the O.D. as I thought they should be. I am sure that the 73-87 bars fit the same. Might install what you have, look for larger O.D. bar...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #39
71cheyennesuperlongb

Check into the street rod crowd for license plate lights.I remember seeing bolts with lights built into them.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
Droff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cheyennesuperlongb View Post
Check into the street rod crowd for license plate lights.I remember seeing bolts with lights built into them.
Some good advice, didn't know these were out there. I found several suppliers and decided to give these a try. Fairly simple to mount and then clean off a spot for a good ground and splice in with the running lights. They're pretty bright but take care of the problem.

Slow progress, but some progress....
I got the lights installed, replaced the front shocks with KYB Excel G's and slid the power steering pump out from underneath the alternator. I can now remove the cap without additional dismantling of parts. Added new belts which took care of the squealing when turning the wheel and provided more of a warm fuzzy when driving. Jury is still out on how much the KYB's help the ride, still 'solid' on the maiden trip this morning, will need more drive time to decide.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #41
Droff

I haven’t decided on the front sway bar yet but if I go with one, it’ll be the 1” that I currently have available.

Something I’d like more help with is rebuilding the power steering pump and the steering box.

I found a couple threads on both, TX Firefighter mainly, but I’m a bit confused on what rebuild kits I actually need. I have a typical Saginaw box, nothing special. TX Firefighter lists two repair kits, an 8766 and 8525, which I can get a hold of and follow directions for installing but what about this kit?

http://https://www.rockauto.com/en/m...032769&jsn=267

Just wondering what I need to be buying. I’m going to rebuild the rag joint too.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #42
Droff

Any input on which parts to go with for the steering box rebuild?
The two listed by TX Firefighter (8766 and 8525) or the kit I posted in the link?
Would it just depend on what all I want to replace on the box?
Thanks.