The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #26
CHEVYE
my gas saver

HEY CHEATHAM, WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I`VE GOT TO KNOW YOU FROM AROUND HERE, THAT IS IF YOU ARE FROM CHEATHAM OF COURSE.
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:27 PM   #27
dinnut

for my stereo:
i already got a 208 watt sony xplod headunit. silver face
i have 2 sony 6x9 3 ways.
looking to get some 5 way pioneers. heard them and they sound great! theyre $140 tho...
ive been thinking of 2 12" subs or 2 10"s with some sort of amp. i havent figured out the amp part or how to mount my head unit
Old 01-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #28
RICHARD MORGAN

well as a circuit city road shop employee i can agree with 90% of the ideas. i think if you want a descent system on a budget buy a name brand deck with a built in crossover (99% now adays have one) and run a pair of power low power component sets with it (infinity reference, polk ex ,etcc) definetly not the power hungry mb quarts !! for competion yes but a budget system off the deck, hell no. as far as amps pick up a name brand 2 channel amp and run it mono - bridged (usually cheaper than a 4 channel). as far as subs, get what you can fit. one 10" will do fine for skynard or mcgraw. now brands i love alpine decks. you can get a new one for $150. subs id go with fosgate, mtx, kicker, or jl. they all have descent entry level subs for the price and quility youd want. as far as amps go all the new models are comming out so you can pick up a 2003 model cheap. jbl, mtx,kicker,fosgate, ppi, they all make good amps. id stay away from used. and i personally see to many sony,pioneer,kenwood,jvc etc... crap come back defective.
hope this helps. let me know if you have any questions. and be aware that independent ly owned shops are usually willing to degotiate on price !!!
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 PM   #29
69c10stepside
Large Member

Yeah, If you have a local non national chain they will (should) work with you on prices.. When I worked up front i would sell about 15% above cost, now from what I hear my previous employer will fire anybody that does that lol.

1972 Gmc Jimmy

1972 Chevy C10 SWB Sold
69c10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:15 AM   #30
Gary

Old trucks sure are anemic on places to put speakers New trucks aren't much better though but a little.

The amp you linked to on Ebay I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, the Sony Xplod amps I'd also avoid but they're "allright".

Start with a good head unit, if your sound is already crap before it gets amplified it's really gonna be crap after amplification. Most of your big names will be ok, Pioneer, Alpine, etc etc. Then keep in mind what someone else said, 1600 watts is total bs, the stereo in my Tracker is around 1400-1600 watts and I had to have a hand built alternator to run it, along with 0/1 guage wire from alternator to battery to batcap to amp. 100 watts of true power will probably make you happy as can be.

Look for a nice small kicker or fosqate amp, or HiFonics (I like HiFonics personally even though they're not quite what they used to be). 40x4 in real wattage is gonna be loud, and if you can find someplace to cram a nice 8 inch sub you should be happy. Lotsa folks are moving their gas tanks just to have room behind the seat for a small box of subs.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:43 AM   #31
tswore
built not bought

good sound

okay, i will probably repeat some of the advice already given, but here i go. for the last 11 years, i have lived car stereo, my advice if you want kick a$$ stereo would be to start with a good deck(alpine, clarion), put a nice 4 channel amp, if you are on a budget, the coustic amps are very nice for around $250. as far as fronts go, a set of 6x9 in the doors sound real nice, but a component set would be better. i like the alpine type-r set (around 200 bucks). for the subs, if you still have the gas tank behind the seat you could put either a single ten, or 2 jl audio 6w0 woofers. the jl 6w0 is a pretty killer sub for a 6 inch. if you have the gas tank relocated, subs behind the seats is easy. i have had a couple of my customers put the seats from a 93-or so chev in their truck and i built a box for 2 tens under the seat. as other people have said, you get what you pay for. hope this helps, good luck
tswore is offline   Reply With Quote