The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
redneck6

Re: !965 Chevy C-10 Take 2: Project Tanya

looks very good brother , i think i will have the 64 drivable agin this weekend .
redneck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Thanks bro. You should cruise over to the 'ville this weekend. There is the Main St. Cruise (car show) going on Saturday 3-6 pm, and my Car Club is going to be there. I'll have Tanya out there with me, and we are pushing hard to get my wife's '63 Cadillac on the road for the show as well.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Well, got a few minor things done over the passed week or so. Most of my time has been spent on my wife's new car a 1963 Cadillac Series 62 4-door. After sitting in an old guy's back yard for 20+ years it only took very minor work to get her running and driving again, and man does she ever drive. We spent a good portion of the weekend just cruising, and my wife is completely beside herself (she has been wanting an early 60's Caddy since I met her 12 years ago). I managed to get my old worn out antenna replaced (can be seen in the picture below), put a new seat cover on since the old one was rotting apart beneath me, and just today I got my "Custom" trim panels installed. Even though they weren't original to my truck I still love how they look, plus they were just laying around. This is the only pick I have at the moment to put up, but will have a few more soon.

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  33.2 KB
Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
SulphuriousSam

Nice Caddy And Tanya is coming along nicely too!

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
chad64chevy

question what parts do you need to do the rearend swap?? i would just unbolt it and slide it out then slide in the other rearend! i've been reading your threads, not a lot of people comment on my build thread , i have like 10 comments other then the ones from myself! so somethings it's like talking to yourself! i like the people that do the work them selfs and are on a basic budget , i guess thats because thats what i am!! don't get me wrong if i had all the money for my truck, my truck would be done already! this heat is slowwing me down thats my reason, about the caddy love it! i would leave it stock too, polish them caps with new tires! what about the interior? are you leaving it stock or thinking about new interior with caddy emblems sewwed into the seats!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Is it a trailing arm rear or leafs????
THIS would determine what you can do and use. The trailing arm setup needs that bar on top so a late model rear housing won't work on them very easy..
I talk to myself all the time on my build but I attribute that to me just being boreing....

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

For parts needed I basically mean just parts to replace the consumables. If I am going to the effort of pulling apart a differential to move it around, might as well replace axle bearings and seals, any brake parts that may look worn enough, replace the fluid, and even clean and paint the one going in. That's just how I am, hard for me to put something together and not replace things like that, then have to do it again when they need to be replaced a few months down the road. That's why it is taking me a while to gather stuff for the front end swap too. New Calipers, new rotors, bearings, seals, bushings, steering linkages, booster, master cylinder, and a good cleaning and repainting while I am at it. Might as well do it right the first time.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Here is my little bit of progress over the weekend. Wasn't much, but I spent one day hanging with some car club members, and most of the next day driving my Camaro around the north state. I used a self etching primer by Rustoleum, then a few coats of a semi-gloss white. Came out looking so nice that now I want to get my truck painted before I put it on......

all sanded and ready for primer
Name:  grill1.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  37.5 KB

And finished, sorry no primed pictures....I kinda forgot about the phone for a bit.
Name:  grill2.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  23.4 KB
Name:  grill3.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  23.6 KB
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
chevyrestoguy

The grille turned out nice! To really make it pop, you could get one of those letter kits from Brothers or The Truck Shop for the Chevrolet logo. Black letters on a white grill look cool.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
The grille turned out nice! To really make it pop, you could get one of those letter kits from Brothers or The Truck Shop for the Chevrolet logo. Black letters on a white grill look cool.
That's actually exactly what I was thinking. I think LMC has the lettering kit too, and I have a couple of other things I would like to order from them as well. They'll probably go on around the same time the grill does.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

As far as rear brake suggestions go.....Personally I plan to keep mine drums for a while. I have no intention of making my truck some wild street machine or corner carver, so aftermarket kits don't interest me (let alone the larger diameter wheels almost always required to utilize those kits). Maybe as my fabrication skills improve I will figure something out, but I want to keep it 6 lug, and cheaper is better for me. Plus I have driven rear drum, front disc combo cars and trucks for years, never really found myself wanting or needing more.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
chad64chevy

fryer.. that grille is awesome good job!! and i'm the same way when it comes to putting new and new used parts on my truck and my whole frontend and rearend its brand new! i do need to do the brake for the rear don't know if i what to keep the drums or go to disc! i don't see a big differents in disc other then the looks and they cost more!! but i'm going to do a hydro boost for sure, so what do you think i should do drum or disc??

chevyrestoguy.. thanks for that info. i'll need to put that on my list too. i have an aluminum grille that i painted silver with black painted headlight bezel!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
fryer.. that grille is awesome good job!! and i'm the same way when it comes to putting new and new used parts on my truck and my whole frontend and rearend its brand new! i do need to do the brake for the rear don't know if i what to keep the drums or go to disc! i don't see a big differents in disc other then the looks and they cost more!! but i'm going to do a hydro boost for sure, so what do you think i should do drum or disc??

chevyrestoguy.. thanks for that info. i'll need to put that on my list too. i have an aluminum grille that i painted silver with black painted headlight bezel!!
I paid $14.99 each for calipers and $14.00 for pads, $19 each for the brake hoses for the front. That is what it cost to make my brakes new. The wheel bearings made it slightly higher.
I found wheel cylinders for 9.99 each for the rear and 14.99 each for the front.
Looking at the math I would venture to guess that disks cost about the same to rebuild.
I got my spindles and rotors on flakes list for $75.
There is a disk rear for $150 right now too.
Check around, there are deals and inexpensive ways of improving your truck.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
chad64chevy

well, i got my front all done with 6 lug rotors, i was wondering what i should do for the back!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
66-PMD-GMC

Never checked out 6 lug disk brakes for the rear. Are kits available or would it be cheaper to go with bigger drums off the 6 lug 67-68 trucks?
That might be a way to go.
On my truck, the majority of the braking comes off the front unloaded or without a trailer. I opted for the 13" rear drums and my truck screeches to a stop.
Are disks advantageous in your application chad64?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
chad64chevy

well i'm not to sure what i what to do! i can rebuild my drums with all new parts for around 200, and disc brake kits i've seen on ebay for 444! i know that i'm going with a hydro boost set-up too! that is what will increase stopping alot, it's more about looks i guess, and money,LOL!! like i've said i don't see the differents between rear disc or drums!!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #16
SulphuriousSam

Wow...nice work on the grill surround. Looks good I wish I had a pile of parts like that in my garage! Lack of parts is what's holding me up right now Well, I can use that excuse anyway since I really don't have any parts

Keep it up Tanya is lookin' good

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Hotchkis

Fryer1979 - nice truck project. Lots of boxes! The grill looks mean blacked out. Do you have pictures of your 1979 Camaro? How are the "big" mods coming? Are you turning it into an electric car or diesel power? We're trying to think outside the box. Can you give us a hint?
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #18
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Fryer1979 - nice truck project. Lots of boxes! The grill looks mean blacked out. Do you have pictures of your 1979 Camaro? How are the "big" mods coming? Are you turning it into an electric car or diesel power? We're trying to think outside the box. Can you give us a hint?
It's going to be a while before I can do a whole lot of the "big" mods on the car. I would never do an electric car, but a diesel would be cool.....not really my style though (nice try with outside the box, I'll give ya some points there). I don't want to say too much about it, but it is going to be a big block, and it is not very commonly done. In fact I don't think I have ever seen it done, and certainly can't find one on the internet......it will piss off a lot of people though, hell even talking about it ruffles some big feathers. I'll just say it's one of those engine a lot of people say they have, but few actually do. I have to get a hold of a new body though, mine is really badly rusted out, and the aftermarket T-top inserts (car and concepts) won't hold up to the big torque. Once I get all the pieces gathered up and start work on it, I'll get a build thread going for it in the "alternate tinkerings" section. It'll be fun for sure. Here is the only couple pictures I have saved on this computer of the car, both are reasonably current (I am the only one who works on this car BTW, all work is done by me):

Name:  my79.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  twocars.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  37.6 KB
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
Hotchkis

Fryer1979 - We're intrigued. We'll keep our eyes peeled for some more details on your Camaro project in the future. Good luck!
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #20
redneck6

looking good brother , seems i am winning the fight with dmv title is in the mail . stoked will be able to drive it before snow falls .
redneck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 AM   #21
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Fryer1979 - We're intrigued. We'll keep our eyes peeled for some more details on your Camaro project in the future. Good luck!
I'm not really trying to keep it some big mystery or anything, I am only trying to keep my build thread from becoming a big debate. For real gearheads it's going to be a sick build, but the purists and "car guys" are gonna be upset. Once I get the parts together to start the build I'll get a build thread going and put a link in my signature. It's gonna be a blast. Thanks for the interest, I'll be fun to see the reactions to it.

Last edited by fryer1979; 08-27-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
chad64chevy

so what big block are you talking about?? it's one of those engine a lot of people say they have, but few actually do!! a hemi, lol?? ive seen people but a ford motor in a chevy, and chevy in a ford, im very interested in what big block your talking about! but i can wait to see it in the alternate tinkering section!!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
chad64chevy

that caddy is sooo bada$$, my wife likes it too! so what color will you be painting the truck?? since you painted the grille and surrounding and the bumper it sits it off nicely!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Thanks man, my wife actually brought home a second place trophy for the Caddy at the show. Completely made her day!

I'm going to use just a standard Rustoleum white for the top (window base up), and I'll be using a color called Apline Green for the body. The Alpine Green is an engine paint in a spray can. Should come out decent, and will be close to the original colors (which is how I want it to stay). Plus it will give me cheap and easy paint to spray as I do the body work, not to mention an easy color to match.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
66-PMD-GMC

here are a couple color charts for Chevy/GMC. My truck was originally the same color as your truck.
I found a ton of these on the internet.
Attached Images

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac