The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #26
UK62LW

Re: Butchered radio opening! What'd you guys do?

I went with gauges - need a second push button for the other hole still, but you get the idea..

1962 Chevy C20
1974 Ford Econoline
1987 Peugeot 205 GTi
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
UK62LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #27
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

This is what I did with mine.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #28
LDO

Conrad,
sorry, I can't remember but did you receive the panel?

What's the status of your repair?

Happy 4th.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
ConradBSomething

I did receive the panel, and thank you again for that.

Unfortunately, a combination of a lot of over time at work, and a rental house of mine catching fire last week. Any work on the truck is on the back burner for a while.

On top of all that progress on the truck is going backwards at the moment. As heavy storms rolling through chattanooga knocked some branches off a tree in my yard knocking a big ol dent in my hood and passenger side drip rail!

The hood wasn't in great shape anyway,and the drip rail can be fixed, but dang...it's been a long couple of weeks.

That said, I've got the loan of a mig welder in the works,so as soon as I get my ducks in a row, I'm gonna attempt the radio repair. I will definitely post pics of my victories or failings.

Thanks again
ConradBSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #30
LDO

oh wow, sorry to hear about all that stuff man. Don't worry, things will turn around, that's how it usually rolls with me too. Glad it got to you ok. Standing by for moral support and pictures of your progress/victory!
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #31
zplightning

I didn't want to mess with any paint on my dash, so I made a radio blockoff plate to fit as best as possible
Attached Images

zplightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #32
ConradBSomething

That came out NICE man
ConradBSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #33
dougf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
thats a really nice offer bud thanks but im on perm disability and dont have the extra cash right now even just for shipping .. so i have to stick with my cheap home made fixes for now but ty for the offer
WOLFMANmike, just came across this thread. Did you ever find a resolution? I'm about to repair my radio opening to stock since someone cut mine up too. When I make my stock template (as soon as I find measurements) I will make you one too and send it for free. I can drill holes in each corner so you can bolt it on if you can't weld. Should look nice with the right fasteners. Just let me know buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #34
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf View Post
WOLFMANmike, just came across this thread. Did you ever find a resolution? I'm about to repair my radio opening to stock since someone cut mine up too. When I make my stock template (as soon as I find measurements) I will make you one too and send it for free. I can drill holes in each corner so you can bolt it on if you can't weld. Should look nice with the right fasteners. Just let me know buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey that would be awesome of you brother ... I would be very thankful
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #35
dougf

No problem man. I'm good with metal, have plenty of it, and know how it is. I've looked high and low for the measurements for stock radio, but can't find any templates. Im gonna hit some antique stores few tomorrow for a cheap one. If I get lucky I'll post again, otherwise it will be a new thread asking for a measurement or two 😜
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #36
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
No problem man. I'm good with metal, have plenty of it, and know how it is. I've looked high and low for the measurements for stock radio, but can't find any templates. Im gonna hit some antique stores few tomorrow for a cheap one. If I get lucky I'll post again, otherwise it will be a new thread asking for a measurement or two 😜
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool brother
Old 09-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #37
Praxiss454

Quote:
No problem man. I'm good with metal, have plenty of it, and know how it is. I've looked high and low for the measurements for stock radio, but can't find any templates. Im gonna hit some antique stores few tomorrow for a cheap one. If I get lucky I'll post again, otherwise it will be a new thread asking for a measurement or two ��
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey dougf,

I am facing a similar dash mangling. I have a stock 1965 GMC radio sitting right next to me, should be exact same as stock Chevy minus the name badge. I can take exact measurements of the radio knob locations and face dimensions if that helps you at all. I would also be interested in a patch panel if you don't mind making an extra. LMK if measurements from the actual radio are what you're looking for.

EDIT: Here's what the PO did to my radio opening. They peeled back the top and bottom a little bit like a tin can, and added extra holes on both sides. Sorry for the not so great pic. Not sure if the panel you were looking to make would help me but in any case I'm happy to post measurements of the radio if it helps you and Wolfman.

Last edited by Praxiss454; 09-17-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Praxiss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #38
dougf

Praxxis454, that looks is like my dash minus the holes! Exact measurements would be awesome! The size of the stock holes and square center, and distance to center of the knob holes should be enough. I'll then make a cardboard template to transfer to the metal and I'm going to make them out of 18 gauge so she fits right into the depression, so it can either be bolted in on top of existing openings or welded in. Ill send you one for free as well for helping with measurements, it will help a ton!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #39
dougf

Quote:
Praxxis454, that looks is like my dash minus the holes! Exact measurements would be awesome! The size of the stock holes and square center, and distance to center of the knob holes should be enough. I'll then make a cardboard template to transfer to the metal and I'm going to make them out of 18 gauge so she fits right into the depression, so it can either be bolted in on top of existing openings or welded in. Ill send you one for free as well for helping with measurements, it will help a ton!
Posted via Mobile Device
Looks like I may have stumbled across the measurements in the attached image. Just need some verification. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #40
Praxiss454

Quote:
Looks like I may have stumbled across the measurements in the attached image. Just need some verification. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
I took mine with a digital micrometer and here's what I came up with. They are all very close to those reported measurements.

EDIT - I should add that my micrometer is pretty cheap (<$20) so I don't know how accurate it is. I've never tried to calibrate it against a known dimension.

Face: 4.439" x 1.523" (close to 4 1/2" x 1 1/2")
Space between holes center-to-center: 6.275" (close to 6 3/8")
Threaded Post diameter (fits through holes): 0.433" (close to 7/16")

Here are a few pics of the measurements:

Old 09-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #41
dougf

Excellent! Thank you. I just went to 6 antique and thrift shops with no luck. Headed home to try and figure this out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #42
Praxiss454

Let me know if any other photos or measurements from the radio would help.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #43
dougf

Thanks. I have the cardboard template complete, I'll post a picture when I'm done with my morning run and I'm out in the garage. Since I don't have one of these radios, how heavy are they and how do they stay secure? Is it just from the threaded nut/trim around the knob or is there supposed to be a support piece to hold its weight ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #44
Praxiss454

Quote:
Thanks. I have the cardboard template complete, I'll post a picture when I'm done with my morning run and I'm out in the garage. Since I don't have one of these radios, how heavy are they and how do they stay secure? Is it just from the threaded nut/trim around the knob or is there supposed to be a support piece to hold its weight ?
Posted via Mobile Device
The radio weighs 4 lbs. The threaded posts around the knobs have nuts on them. You insert the radio from behind the dash and you put the nut on from the front side. There is also a bracket attachment location on the back of the radio but I am not sure whether that is only for the speaker mount or if it is also to add support for the radio, so it might be 100% supported from the nuts on the front.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #45
dougf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxiss454 View Post
The radio weighs 4 lbs. The threaded posts around the knobs have nuts on them. You insert the radio from behind the dash and you put the nut on from the front side. There is also a bracket attachment location on the back of the radio but I am not sure whether that is only for the speaker mount or if it is also to add support for the radio, so it might be 100% supported from the nuts on the front.
Thanks! Making progress!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #46
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Thanks! Making progress!
Posted via Mobile Device
The bracket on the back is for support .... you wouldn't want to just use the knob posts they will flex with every bump in the road .... and short out the electronics inside them after a while . Happy Truckin
Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #47
dougf

Quote:
The bracket on the back is for support .... you wouldn't want to just use the knob posts they will flex with every bump in the road .... and short out the electronics inside them after a while . Happy Truckin
Any pics of the bracket? Took me 3 hours, and this is as good as I can do with my tools. My only issue is I made every hole to the sizes I was given. Should I enlarge them slightly to account for some wiggle room between radios?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #48
dougf

Quote:
Any pics of the bracket? Took me 3 hours, and this is as good as I can do with my tools. My only issue is I made every hole to the sizes I was given. Should I enlarge them slightly to account for some wiggle room between radios?
Posted via Mobile Device
Anyway, here's a couple more pics. Cleaned up my radio open ending a littl, I still have to make the metal flat from the butcher job the previous owner did to make my patch fit, but it's looking better! It would be super cool if someone with original holes could post some measurements before I make the other two to mail out 😀
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #49
Lugnutz65

Quote:
This link shows how the speaker bracket also supports the rear of the radio. I agree, supporting the back of the radio is ESSENTIAL.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #50
Praxiss454

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
If you went dead nuts on 4.5" x 1.5" that might be a bit of a tight fit top to bottom. My radio face protrusion was a hair under 4.5" wide but 1.51" to 1.52" from top to bottom measured at different spots of the face. I have no idea if a hundredth of an inch is big enough to be a problem.

I also was about 1/10th" of an inch smaller in my center to center measurement for the holes than the 6.375" measurement you found elsewhere, but that could easily just be a slightly off starting or finishing point.

Short of trying to put a radio through it, I don't know how else you'll find out.