The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Questions about steelies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Those look like 16 x 7... just like what I've got.
Perfect. They want $5.99 a piece, which seems like a great deal. I'll have to take the tires off though. They have the equipment to do it there, and they let people use it for free. I've never done this before. Can somebody please tell me how to use this to remove the tires?

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Check you tube for tire changing videos. They're not to tough to figure out. Make sure you take some soapy water with you for lubrication. It's a dirty job, but not too difficult.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

I'm not sure what year Ford went metric (170mm) but make sure on that,first.The wheels must say Accuride to be SAE

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm not sure what year Ford went metric (170mm) but make sure on that,first.The wheels must say Accuride to be SAE
Oh great. Any chance of seeing that on the wheel somewhere before taking the tire off?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
Check you tube for tire changing videos. They're not to tough to figure out. Make sure you take some soapy water with you for lubrication. It's a dirty job, but not too difficult.
This is funny. I searched, and found a video that appears to have been filmed at the same salvage yard I took the picture, and on the same equipment. I'm guessing this is an example of how NOT to do it? This guy is the typical "smash square peg into round hole" type. Anyway, besides being way too rough and stupid, what else did be do wrong?
http://youtu.be/fw7nHJmKxNg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #31
s_nova69

Alright. Enough. Those wheels will work but u do need to verify the bolt pattern sae vs metric. Just take one of them over to one of those parts trucks of our generation and test it out. You could come over to my place on a Sunday or sat and check out what the 3/4 t caps look like on my truck and yours. I happen tO have a few "extra". Send me a pm if ya want to come by

Phil
Posted via Mobile Device
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_nova69 View Post
Alright. Enough. Those wheels will work but u do need to verify the bolt pattern sae vs metric. Just take one of them over to one of those parts trucks of our generation and test it out. You could come over to my place on a Sunday or sat and check out what the 3/4 t caps look like on my truck and yours. I happen tO have a few "extra". Send me a pm if ya want to come by

Phil
Posted via Mobile Device
If it says Accuride it is SAE. If it doesn't it's metric. There's a picture in this thread that shows the stamp right next to the wheel size. The metric pattern is almost the same. I mean very very very close. They almost fit

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #33
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

I know on the powerstrokes they went metric on 1998 and newer models.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoyah View Post
I know on the powerstrokes they went metric on 1998 and newer models.
That's what I was thinking,sometime around the body change. Maybe later for vans for some odd reason. It seems dumb to not use the same thing on both,but it is Ford we're talking about here.

Tim

Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's what I was thinking,sometime around the body change. Maybe later for vans for some odd reason. It seems dumb to not use the same thing on both,but it is Ford we're talking about here.
Ah, I see it now. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #36
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_nova69 View Post

Phil
Posted via Mobile Device
You bet. That sounds good. Thanks!

I'll PM you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #37
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I found some hubcaps!

I met up with s_nova69 today (nice guy), and he sold me a set of caps for $60. I realize these aren't 100% period correct for a '69, but they're real close. I'll be painting the yellow parts blue. They are 3/4 ton, and used to be on his '69 3/4 ton, so I know they'll fit. I will be going with white wheels (you guys talke some sense into me)

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #38
s_nova69

Can't wait to see them on your rig!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #39
JOJABOY

I'd love to see those things repainted.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #40
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Ok guys, I bought my wheels today. They are 16x7 Accuride 8 lug. I got all 4 off one vehicle... A late 90's or so ford truck. I got them for $5.99 a piece, with a $12 core charge.

It was actually kind of fun taking the tires off the rims. Something I've never done before, but I guess I looked the part because I removed my first tire and moved on to my second, and this dude comes up to me and says "Do you mind if I watch you do this? I've never done it before". I told him what to do, as I did it (thanks to you guys and YouTube), and made no mention that this was only my second wheel lol.

Anyway, here they are. One of them isn't pictured, but you get the idea. I'll be sanding these down and painting them gloss white, and then painting the yellow part of the hub caps blue

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #41
Spartan

Mister-B
Great finds and good work.
I'm currently trying to decide myself. Stay with the split rims and 6 inch bias ply? I also have Chevy 8 lug 16x6 and I like the pizza cutter look and have the ford 16x7. The split rims are body color with the ring painted white. I'm thinking I'd like to mimic the splits but the the 16x7s
Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #42
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Ok guys, I bought my wheels today. They are 16x7 Accuride 8 lug. I got all 4 off one vehicle... A late 90's or so ford truck. I got them for $5.99 a piece, with a $12 core charge.

It was actually kind of fun taking the tires off the rims. Something I've never done before, but I guess I looked the part because I removed my first tire and moved on to my second, and this dude comes up to me and says "Do you mind if I watch you do this? I've never done it before". I told him what to do, as I did it (thanks to you guys and YouTube), and made no mention that this was only my second wheel lol.

Anyway, here they are. One of them isn't pictured, but you get the idea. I'll be sanding these down and painting them gloss white, and then painting the yellow part of the hub caps blue

Posted via Mobile Device
Making me rethink my wheel selection. Ha-Ha- Those look great. Plan on getting them powder coated? I have a powder coat hook up here in Orange County. I am going to get my spare (steelie) powdercoated. I have plans on making an in bed mount on the back of my toolbox and mount it in an upright position.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #43
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Mister-B
Great finds and good work.
I'm currently trying to decide myself. Stay with the split rims and 6 inch bias ply? I also have Chevy 8 lug 16x6 and I like the pizza cutter look and have the ford 16x7. The split rims are body color with the ring painted white. I'm thinking I'd like to mimic the splits but the the 16x7s
Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Decisions, decisions. Stay tuned to this thread, and maybe it'll give you some ideas
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #44
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Making me rethink my wheel selection. Ha-Ha- Those look great. Plan on getting them powder coated? I have a powder coat hook up here in Orange County. I am going to get my spare (steelie) powdercoated. I have plans on making an in bed mount on the back of my toolbox and mount it in an upright position.
Thanks, man. I was just going to paint them myself. Powder coat would be cool, but would probably cost more than the hubcaps, wheels, and tire mounting/balancing combined. What is this place going to charge you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #45
JOJABOY

I don't even have any idea what the going rate for powder coating is. One of the reservist that trains at my center owns a powder coating shop (well his father owns it anyways). He will media blast and powder coat thing for me from time to time free of charge.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #46
s_nova69

I just inquired about blasting and powder coat locally and it was 50$ per wheel. A rip off I think. 30$ if I blasted them myself.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #47
Gumby

One of the best tools I ever bought was the HF tire changer on sale for $35, once you get the hang of using that dead zone in the rim for slack, ive saved allot.

http://bit.ly/YGuAMo

https://www.facebook.com/ChevyGmcTrucksFindOfTheDay or http://ChevyGMCTrucks.com
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #48
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
One of the best tools I ever bought was the HF tire changer on sale for $35, once you get the hang of using that dead zone in the rim for slack, ive saved allot.

http://bit.ly/YGuAMo
I have one of those and I have used it a lot. Mostly for motorcycle tires, but I did my trailer tires and a few car tires along the way.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #49
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Thanks, man. I was just going to paint them myself. Powder coat would be cool, but would probably cost more than the hubcaps, wheels, and tire mounting/balancing combined. What is this place going to charge you?
Posted via Mobile Device
I painted my used steelies with Rustoleum rattle can gloss white and they've been on the truck now for about two years and still look great. It was cheap and easy and I got great results.

Good luck!

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #50
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
I painted my used steelies with Rustoleum rattle can gloss white and they've been on the truck now for about two years and still look great. It was cheap and easy and I got great results.

Good luck!
Great to hear. That's what I was planning on using. How many cans did it end up needing for all 4? Did you put down a coat of primer first?
Posted via Mobile Device