The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #26
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Re: 84 with a Dropmember

looks awesome man... i really got to move out there by you...lol

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #27
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
The Dropmember is a nice piece (like everyone says).
Thanks for showcasing it here.

I've followed your thread (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=201898) in the Suspension forum as well as some of the other's Dropmember threads. Most of the information provided centers around the 67-72 crowd. If I may, would you field a few questions about the Dropmember in the 73-87 trucks?

1) I understand that the Dropmember is designed with the use of the Strong Arms LCA, although it will also work with the stock LCA with no modifications necessary. Is it correct to assume that the air bag mounting plates are parallel to each other at ride height? Is this also the case if one uses the stock LCA with, say, a plate (or cup) for the lower air mount? What would the distance between the two parallel mounting surfaces be? I'm wondering if a 224C (instead of a RE7) would maintain the parallel mounting surfaces of the bag's ride height at ~5 1/4".

The air bag mounting plates are parallel at ride height. Stock arms work great,and I also can supply a bolt-on plate to be used for the lower bag mount. An ART lower arm will allow the truck to set approx. 1 inch lower than the factory lower arm and PB plate combo (when using a Slam bag). The Firestone bag will bolt-up and work just fine... and allows the truck to rest approx. .5" lower when deflated.

2) Although the Dropmember relocates the engine a ‘couple of inches’ forward and upward, no modifications are needed to the firewall and tunnel for clearance. Would this be accurate for a SBC as well as a Gen III?

This is accurate with a SBC and as for the GenIII... I have not installedone in the square body, but Hill's Hot Rods' has and did not mention any firewall clearance issues... they're even running the coil-pack covers on the motor (it's in Jason's Hard-top Blazer).

3) Is it possible to retain the geometry of the R&P steering, if the stock outer tie rod ends are shortened and re-threaded? You mentioned in your thread, that both the outer tie rod ends and the R&P, had to be shortened. I'm wondering for these trucks, if only the outer tie rod ends can be shortened without shortening the R&P.

The outer tie-rod end of the rack needs to be shortened... the actual outer tie-rod end used on the kit is a chromoly heim joint with associated hardware. Factory C-10 outer tie-rod end will not work.

BTW, you mentioned that the tracking of the Dropmember setup is narrower where the rotor face to rotor face width on the regular Dropmember is 60". From my measurements, the stock width is ~ 61 5/8” from outer surface of the rotors.

Well... one issue I have found when measuring trac-width is that different numbers can be derived by measuring at different spots, and different height of the suspension travel...these trucks do have some scrub built into the factory design that can skew measurements if not taken from the same place at the same height etc. What I have since done to correct this and give an accurate measurement of trac-width difference is to measure the distance between the inner pivot centers of the lower control arm (bushings) and then compare. The Dropmember is narrower by approx. 3"give or take.

Finally, one last request:

At ride height, do you know how high the front fender lip is from the ground on the 84? What is the size of the front wheels, drop spindles and front bags?

The front wheel is a 20x8.5 and has a 5.25" backspacing.The tire is a 255 35 20... I willhave to measure the wheel lip height when the front end gets reassembled... everything is at the powdercoaters.

Any information you may provide is appreciated.

Thank you.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #28
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Nate,
Thank you taking time out to address my questions.

I haven't quite graduated 'down' to the 'worm digger' stance, yet. Right now, I'm more interested in low stance and drivability at ride height. I've been pushing some numbers around on paper and have a possible drop combination in mind for the front. It'll required more than the typical drop spindle and dropped springs (or bags). It seems like one benefit of the Dropmember is that it'll maintain the suspension geometry of the front end. A much lower ride height with more ground clearance over the stock is a plus. And, a lower drop (in the future) using the Dropmember is possible.

I was just wondering 'bout an alternative to the heim joint for the outer tie rod end. I was curious to see if there is a stock outer tie rod that would mate between the R&P unit and the spindle... I've seen some of the other aftermarkets front members with R&P use what looks like a stock tie rod ends for some of the 60s Chevies and rods. I don't know if the length and size is comparable... My guess is probably not.

I hadn't considered the scrub, but I understand what you're saying. I'm curious now on what specs a good alignment shop will use to set up the front at ride height. Hmmm...
Given a narrower track in front with the Dropmember, now have me wondering what the minimum BS one can go with and still avoid rubbing the inner fender lipp with a couple of inches tucked (at ride height).

I'll stay tune for the wheel lip height (and, of course mo' pics) when you start reassembling everything. Should look purrrty.

Thanks again.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #29
PBFAB.COM

Got the thing back on the ground and snapped a few teaser pics...

The truck is not completely aired out in the pics... about an inch to go. I need to remove a couple brackets on the frame that hang down below the frame's scrub line. Also, don't know why, but every single one of these square bodies has a funky frame bend (looks like it's tweaked) on the driver's side below the cab. A little heat and a special dolly I made flatten it right out... just haven't gotten there yet!
Attached Images

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #30
PBFAB.COM

few more...
Attached Images

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #31
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Let me know when you get prices together for the rear kit. Also what are the wheel specs that will work on the rear? Looks like a 22/20 combo. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #32
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

sweet

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #33
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
...Also, don't know why, but every single one of these square bodies has a funky frame bend (looks like it's tweaked) on the driver's side below the cab. A little heat and a special dolly I made flatten it right out...
That tweak is to get the frame away from the catalytic converter. Most people panic when they first see it. I did! At least all the 1/2 and 3/4 tons have it...
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #34
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGracho View Post
That tweak is to get the frame away from the catalytic converter. Most people panic when they first see it. I did! At least all the 1/2 and 3/4 tons have it...
First time I saw it... I thought that maybe the truck had been pulled out of a ditch with a hook there or something!

After seeing a few more... I realized it had to be a factory deal. Never paid attention to seeif it was for cat clearance! Thanks for the input.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #35
copperchevy

Any underhood pics????
Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #36
Dinos63
chevy only

nate looks killer, i love the back half ,i will have to stop by and check it out.nice job as usual and those are 22 on the front right.

Last edited by Dinos63; 02-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Dinos63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #37
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
nate looks killer, i love the back half ,i will have to stop by and check it out.nice job as usual and those are 22 on the front right.
20's up front... same size as your 78.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #38
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
20's up front... same size as your 78.
are those his wheels? or the west coast trucks
Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
are those his wheels? or the west coast trucks
These are his... same style wheel though. West Coast has 22's all the way around.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #40
chevyrestoguy

I love the way that thing sits. It's refreshing to see one slammed and not have the camber all whacked out.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #41
SCOTI

Nate,
I can't believe I missed this thread. Is that the same truck we pushed in/out of the shop when Keith & I were out there?

What's the rear suspension going to be?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #42
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Nate,
I can't believe I missed this thread. Is that the same truck we pushed in/out of the shop when Keith & I were out there?

What's the rear suspension going to be?
That's the truck... but it didn't feel like you "helped" push it!
At least you didn't try to sever the fingers off my left hand!

The rear features a bolt-on notch that'll lay the frame on a 30" tire, bolt-on parallel four-link with panhard, sleeved bags, and some pretty blue Monroe shocks. I will get some more pics up of the rear over the next couple/few weeks. I have to take it apart and finish weld a couple spots, have it powdercoated, and then reinstall everything.

I will also include some engine compartment pics... good news for you guys wanting to keep the factory A/C and heater box... it fits with a 27" tall tire. You can slide a piece of paper between the tire and the blower motor when it's fully deflated. I would recommend a new blower motor that is a bit shorter than the factory one, or one can always section the box a little... not much.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #43
n2billet
Village Idiot....

I'll never live down the "finger incident" will I?

Quote:
That's the truck... but it didn't feel like you "helped" push it!
At least you didn't try to sever the fingers off my left hand!

The rear features a bolt-on notch that'll lay the frame on a 30" tire, bolt-on parallel four-link with panhard, sleeved bags, and some pretty blue Monroe shocks. I will get some more pics up of the rear over the next couple/few weeks. I have to take it apart and finish weld a couple spots, have it powdercoated, and then reinstall everything.

I will also include some engine compartment pics... good news for you guys wanting to keep the factory A/C and heater box... it fits with a 27" tall tire. You can slide a piece of paper between the tire and the blower motor when it's fully deflated. I would recommend a new blower motor that is a bit shorter than the factory one, or one can always section the box a little... not much.

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
I'll never live down the "finger incident" will I?
Maybe once the scars go away!

and not just the physical ones!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #45
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Are there any clearance issues on the drivers side with the power brakes, brake lines and such?
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #46
mrenj23

Those dropmembers are crazy. I'm not even finished with my truck yet and I'm thinking about redoing it...First I need to save up my lunch money so I can get one.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #47
baggedcten
86 C10

are you running a parallel four link on the rear?
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #48
VROD383

Nate,
whats the price for the dm, ART a-arms and slam airbags.

Last edited by VROD383; 02-22-2008 at 11:45 AM.
VROD383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #49
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBowtie79 View Post
Are there any clearance issues on the drivers side with the power brakes, brake lines and such?
The brake lines for the front calipers need to be moved a little bit for the rack and pinion c-notch... but as far as the booster/master cylinder clearance, there are no issues...with a 27" tall tire. I don't think a 29" will have any issues either, I will check and get some good pics for reference.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #50
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedcten View Post
are you running a parallel four link on the rear?
Yep...its a parallel four-link (the whole thing bolts in... even the notch) and it's running a panhard bar. Through 7.5" of travel the axle shifts a total of 1/4 inch laterally.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson