The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #26
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Re: Classic Industries dash pad

For a driver truck there is nothing really "wrong" with them, but for a perfectionist, they aren't going to like them. I sell them both, but I generally ask what the usage and let them know the difference.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #27
tswore
built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBob View Post
Good thread and excellent pictures. Do the Classic Industries pads have a metal backing like the ones from Brothers? How many clips do you need as I am sure mine will be missing some or will be broken? Urethane vs Vinyl - which is better? Classic Industries wants $199. Brothers wants 289 for the urethane and 299 for the vinyl. Looking for the best product not the cheapest as I figure this will be the last dash pad I get. Just don't want to be stupid and spend more than I have to. My truck will not be a "show" truck. Just hate looking at the cracked dash and hole over the speaker.
Yes, this one has the metal frame. I think there were 6 or 7 clips. And i think it was vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
I am curious, is this the rubbery dash that has the wood holding the cluster area straight? If so, this is Dashes Direct, they make a vinyl skinned version of these also. I don't know of any other company making aftermarket replacements for these.
No wood in this one, and it didnt feel rubbery. I think i have seen those dashes, I think these are a bit nicer.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #28
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswore View Post
No wood in this one, and it didnt feel rubbery. I think i have seen those dashes, I think these are a bit nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswore
it had a piece of wood screwed to to the dash pad to keep the diver side opening straight.
The piece of wood is the one you stated it had in it to keep the piece straight, which is want i was talking about. When you removed the wood it looked like the picture I attached.

That is the Urethane version (or rubbery) that I am talking about. If it comes in any other color but Blue and Black (or paintable) it is urethane, otherwise it is vinyl.

I have the vinyl ones for $325 + shipping
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=DC
Attached Images

1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #29
tswore
built not bought

Ahh, I see what you were talkin about. Ya it had wood for shipping, and it did flex like that after I had removed it. Its been a few weeks so the details are getting fuzzy
Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
spudz

Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com part number 15641405 Price is 343.01 for a brand new GM dash pad... Will fit perfect. BUT you have to dye it.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #31
bigunde
Rusty Rockerfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com part number 15641405 Price is 343.01 for a brand new GM dash pad... Will fit perfect. BUT you have to dye it.
Gmpartsdirect.com is pretty good but with tax (NC)and shipping. ouch.

All

PAD ASM-I

$343.01

Cost $343.01
Shipping$82.32

$425.33

Non-NC Residents Total:

$425.33

Sales Tax (NC Only):

$26.58

NC Residents Total:

$451.91
bigunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I stopped buying GM dashes because the availability is so sketchy. Last time I trying to buy 20 for inventory, 0 were available. Last Friday I could get 3. Problem is most people don't want to pay that much as bigunde pointed out. I have 1 here and its $525 + shipping.

As for it fitting perfect because GM made it, that is an illusion. I have had to fit everyone I have ever put on to make them correct. Trimming 90% of the time is required.

The GM ones I have are listed in here when I have them. I generally only keep 1 or 2 now.
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=DC
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 02-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #33
RuralRoute C-30

Been following the thread as I too want to replace the cracked dash on the c-30 one way or another for a new one.

So from what I understand here is that getting a saddle tan dash just isn't possible without dying even a $400+ dash?

May rethink this and stay with a black one. Can a dash be 'dyed' without looking splotchy?

Leaning towards the Classic Industries so far from hearing even a new oem dash from GM often requires custom fitted. Have yet to find a local upholsterer who does recovers.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
Been following the thread as I too want to replace the cracked dash on the c-30 one way or another for a new one.

So from what I understand here is that getting a saddle tan dash just isn't possible without dying even a $400+ dash?

May rethink this and stay with a black one. Can a dash be 'dyed' without looking splotchy?

Leaning towards the Classic Industries so far from hearing even a new oem dash from GM often requires custom fitted. Have yet to find a local upholsterer who does recovers.

Mark
According to their site, Just Dashes restored dashes are dyed "the exact factory color to match your interior", but they're supposed to cost a fortune...

Anyone ever used Dashboard Restorations USA?
DriverDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #35
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post

Mark
ALL dashes are going to require some trimming and adjusting to fit. EVEN the one from Dashes Direct that was purchased from Classic Industries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswore View Post
the fit isnt too far off, there was a little trimming on the passenger side, were it meets the a piller, and along the windshield it is a bit wavy. I think that will smooth aout after the sun warms it up a little.
GM dyed the dashes all the time, so yeah it will look fine. See this write-up.
http://73-87.com/7387garage/interior/vinyl_dye.htm

You can get a tan one, it is just going to be the "rubbery one".

I sell them all, so if you want one ask. I have no problem telling you the truth about them...

And Just Dashes restores dashes to be just like factory and they reskin them. Last I check about 3-4 years ago it was $850 to restore a GM truck pad...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 02-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #36
Stitch
Account Suspended

You can also order a sewn dash cover from me. They are fairly easy to install and look good. I will be posting a tutorial with lots of pictures on how to repair your cracked dash and how to install my dash cover. I just need to finish it first. Also I can sew up your dash cover in any color vinyl you'd like and any stitching color you'd like also

They are $129 with FREE Shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
DesertBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
You can also order a sewn dash cover from me. They are fairly easy to install and look good. I will be posting a tutorial with lots of pictures on how to repair your cracked dash and how to install my dash cover. I just need to finish it first. Also I can sew up your dash cover in any color vinyl you'd like and any stitching color you'd like also

Posted via Mobile Device
I am interested. Do you have any pictures of the finished product? Mine is a 85 Custom Deluxe 20 in Black.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #38
Stitch
Account Suspended

Here's pictures of the dash cover I offer installed on a repaired dash. the first 4 pics are the finished product. The last 2 are during the install process just to show the stitching on the cover.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Stitch; 02-11-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #39
DesertBob

Wow- I really like that look. I must say I really like how smooth that is and the stitching is very cool. Do you have any provisions for the center speaker. Does it come as a kit or do I send you the original dash? If it is a kit what skill level is requires? My dash has a few holes and is warped up by the VIN hole.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #40
Stitch
Account Suspended

It comes as a cover. I sew the covers up to order so they are done by me when they are ordered. I can do them pretty much any color vinyl and any color stitching. As long as you have are able to line up the seams on the dash, it's not that hard to install and make it look great. It does not glue on the front side of the dash. It only glues on the underside. So there is alot of adjustment to get the seams lined up straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #41
inovermyhead

Quote:
It comes as a cover. I sew the covers up to order so they are done by me when they are ordered. I can do them pretty much any color vinyl and any color stitching. As long as you have are able to line up the seams on the dash, it's not that hard to install and make it look great. It does not glue on the front side of the dash. It only glues on the underside. So there is alot of adjustment to get the seams lined up straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch just a quick question b/c I know others might be wondering the same thing. If someone were to ship their dash to you would you install the cover on it?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #42
Stitch
Account Suspended

I'm trying to stay away from that for a couple of reasons. The price would go up $100 and you would have to pay shipping back and forth. Shipping seems to run about $55 one way. So the price would go up about $210 depending on shipping
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #43
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by inovermyhead View Post
Stitch just a quick question b/c I know others might be wondering the same thing. If someone were to ship their dash to you would you install the cover on it?
Based on what Stitch just said about shipping, you'd be better off taking Stitch's cover to a local upholstery place for install if you didn't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Quote:
I can do them pretty much any color vinyl and any color stitching.
Any extra cost for doing it in a non stock color?

Last edited by TheApocalyptican; 02-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #44
Stitch
Account Suspended

Exactly. It would be cheaper to take my cover to your local upholstery shop and have them install it on your dash. And custom colors are no extra charge. I can also make them in a variety of different embossed vinyls such as ostrich, emu, alligator, and crocodile. There will be an extra charge for the difference in the cost of the material if you want the embossed vinyl but it won't be that much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #45
inovermyhead

Well honestly when I get to that point in my build I am leaning more towards your cover Stitch. I have no problems putting it on myself since I have a history of working w/materials but just asking as a general question. Thanks for answering it though.

Hope I didn't get too far off topic of this thread.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #46
DesertBob

Quote:
I will be posting a tutorial with lots of pictures on how to repair your cracked dash and how to install my dash cover. I just need to finish it first.
Looking forward to this thread. Thinking this is the way I will go but since my dash has some damage I am looking to see what is involved in the repair before I make my choice. Thank you and your work looks fantastic.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #47
merc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBob View Post
Looking forward to this thread. Thinking this is the way I will go but since my dash has some damage I am looking to see what is involved in the repair before I make my choice. Thank you and your work looks fantastic.
Kind of curious...what is the best material to use to repair the cracks in the original prior to putting on the cover? I'm assuming it would be best to repair the cracks for a smoother look once the cover is on.
merc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #48
lilpoindexter

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd love to see that tutorial...I'm getting pretty close to getting door panels and a dash pad...I was thinking classic industries from the good review here, but your dash cover looks pretty damn nice...

Also...do you do them in leather, and if so, how much would that cost?

Last edited by lilpoindexter; 02-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #49
kevinr1970

You do anything for door panels, to match the dash?
What about headliners?
Quote:
Exactly. It would be cheaper to take my cover to your local upholstery shop and have them install it on your dash. And custom colors are no extra charge. I can also make them in a variety of different embossed vinyls such as ostrich, emu, alligator, and crocodile. There will be an extra charge for the difference in the cost of the material if you want the embossed vinyl but it won't be that much.
Posted via Mobile Device
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #50
Stitch
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the compliments guys. It means alot to me because I treat every upholstery order like it was my own. So if I wouldn't put it in my vehicle it doesn't leave until it's right.

I can do them in leather, but leather is much more expensive than vinyl and there will be and extra charge of around $175

And yes I do make door panel covers also. They are $129 with free shipping for the pair. If you have a crew cab, I make them for the rear doors also ad they will be another $129 for the rear pair...here are some pictures of a front door panel cover installed on a door panel so you can get an idea.

Thanks
Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Stitch; 02-12-2011 at 08:51 AM.