The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
mr402

What they say about China using a lot of as is quite true. I've been to Beijing and Shanghai a few times. Let me tell you that the car traffic there is worse than most big cities here. Lines in the road are treated as suggestions. 3 lane streets running 4 or 5 cars wide are normal. They're also running a lot of 2 stroke motorcycles and weird looking cart things. Since we're exporting so many jobs there they now have more money to purchase cars etc. China will soon have as big an appetite for gas as the US and may easily surpass us.

Also heard about record profits at Texaco recently. The richer get richer while I go broke.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:02 PM   #27
68gmcdually

Shane 65

I just got back from the local Petro Canada and super is 1.009 a litre, I never that I would see the day. I guess that all of my families classics will be parked for a while. The idea of converting my 68 to propane is getting better and better every day. Shane65 from Lakefield, have you ever attended the car show held in Fenelon every August, there are alot of nice vehicles that show up.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:54 PM   #28
Shane65

Yipes, $1.009/litre puts it at $2.78 US per US gallon. I would imagine people will be putting on less miles on their vechicles this year then they have in the pass.

I've yet to get to that show. Have you been to the Peterbourough show in June?
Shane65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #29
68 Suburban

Im sure I will take some heat for this, but it is our own fault. We were warned back in the 70's. We tried to changed for a while, then instead of going back to big cars, everyone went to even bigger Trucks and SUV's.

We put ourselves in this position and have no one else to blaime.

A few of us have posted on here quite a few times how to conserve gas, and there are always comments like:

"mine will only get 8 mpg no mater what, so why try"

"if you want gas mileage, don't own one of these trucks. Buy a rice burner"

"I get 5 mpg, but I can do 12 in the 1/4 mile"

"I don't belive these trucks can get 19+ mpg"

My answer to the last statement is, they can
Old 05-10-2004, 05:52 AM   #30
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Ahh stop whining and try living in the UK! :p The average price of unleaded in the UK has just officially hit £0.80/litre, this works out at $5.37 per US Gallon, diesel is slightly more as is premium gas. I am now seriously contemplating buying an old diesel station wagon (much better MPG 40+mpg) as a daily driver as I just can't afford to go far in the truck any more, damn thieving government/oil companies.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #31
Bobalouie
Fetzer Valve Technician

Thats why I am proud to be an American. Bottom line to this whole deal is, if Bush wants to get re-elected, he is going to have to open up the strategic reserves in order to drop prices. The Saudis and the rest of OPEC (which Venezuela is a member of) know that Bush and Cheney are both products of the oil industry. They also know that the mere notion of them manipulating the oil prices to line their pockets will cost them the election due to public outrage. Alot of the leaders in the middle east have already publicly anounced their support of Kerry.

One could say that it looks like the middle east is trying to rig the upcomming election by causing public discontent, and installing a person to the White House that is "more favorable" to them.
Bobalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #32
ChrisK10
1971 C20 Custom Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72C203503ONTHETREE
Gas prices in Alabama and in Iowa are around $1.68 to $1.73 for the cheap stuff and $1.93 for the expensive stuff.
Nope. Now try $1.85 for the cheap stuff, and $1.99 for the expensive stuff. Getting bad here too. (Of course it's been bad since $1.30....)

'97 GMC K1500 5.7L
ChrisK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #33
gregfull

I guess I should keep my mouth shut! I was about to complain about $1.78 for regular. I feel for you on the West Coast, and especially you guys in the UK. Good Luck this summer everyone.
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM   #34
JIMs70GMC
user # 2756

I'm glad I only drive 4 miles to work. And here I'm getting ready to put a truck on the road with 4.56 gears! As I understand it, there's more oil in the gulf of mexico than all of the middle east. Also understand that the northern parts of russia are sitting on some large oil fields, but it's so undeveloped that it'll be decades before it's tapped.

Pumps around here just broke the $2 a gallon barrier for the first time for the 93 octane. Still around $1.80 for 87 octane.
1986 M1031 6.2 diesel, TH400/NP205 locker in the rear and a LS in the front, all stock for now.....
1986 K30, 350/400/205 dana 60 and 14 bolt. I kept the drivetrain. Body/bad and chassis are gone.
1981 K30, 350/465/205 dana 60 and dually 14 bolt. Has a G80, and a flat bed. Going to replace the flat bed.

1985 K20, 350/400/208 10 bolt and SF 14 bolt. I wonder where I can find some 1 tons. Hmmmmm
JIMs70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM   #35
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

2.17 for regular right now ..i've seen it up to 2.19 a few days ago

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:11 PM   #36
724x4a/cchevy
Self-proclaimed LED man

Here in central missouri gas is still $1.84 a gallon. You guys got it bad! Five bucks wont even move the needle anymore!
724x4a/cchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #37
Stanford
WILLY FOR PRESIDENT!!

Its a 1.999 in Central Kansas. Stafford County is a rural framing county that has about 7,000 people in it. These prices are going to hit us hard. We aren't going to be able to make **** off of our crops because its going to cost so darn much for fuel. I would like to see all the farmers to just not take their crops in the summer. No crops, no food. The government would have to buy grains from other countries. But of course that would put every farmer under, and we can't have that either. Just my thoughts.

Aaron Stanford

'67 C/10 FOR SALE!! $600, runs, strait grill, good parts, or beater truck
'68 GMC K25, 4x4, current project
'71 Custom/10, Crate 350, My Baby!!
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #38
'70_402

Here in texas (at least around arlington) it is about $1.73 for the cheapest. I accually rode my bike around the other day to find out who had the cheapest gas so i wouldn't have to drive around for a while and waste more gas!! If i didn't have to go so far to work (30 miles one way) then i would just pedal my @$$ to work!
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #39
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalouie
Thats why I am proud to be an American. Bottom line to this whole deal is, if Bush wants to get re-elected, he is going to have to open up the strategic reserves in order to drop prices. The Saudis and the rest of OPEC (which Venezuela is a member of) know that Bush and Cheney are both products of the oil industry. They also know that the mere notion of them manipulating the oil prices to line their pockets will cost them the election due to public outrage. Alot of the leaders in the middle east have already publicly anounced their support of Kerry.

One could say that it looks like the middle east is trying to rig the upcomming election by causing public discontent, and installing a person to the White House that is "more favorable" to them.
Name one leader from the Middle East that has announced their support for Kerry?

It is not the Saudi's, it is the oil companies. The price does not reflect the price of a barrel. There is no way it should be this high just because of the cost of a barrel of oil.

It was not the Saudi's that shut down refinaries to decrease the supply of gas. It was not the Saudi's that increased the wholesale price per gallon last week 15-20 cents per gallon.

If you think the US's meager reserves are the solution to this, especially Bush's problems with getting re-elected, wow
Old 05-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #40
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

For one thing Bush is and has been very good friends with the Saudis for a long time. If anything the Saudis would want him to stay the commander in chief. Flucation of leadership could easily change the price of oil and the demand.

But i do agree, it isn't the Saudi's, it is a combination of the greedy oil compaines and our huge appetite for gasoline. Not really a whole lot we can do about it either. Using less gasoline would work the best, but it ain't gonna happen.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #41
Orence1

I find my enthusiasm for my truck project starting to diminish a bit. I have a number of items on my to-do list that I want to finish and they will cost money. Now I find myself wondering whether or not I can justify the expense of the upgrades when I really can't afford to drive the truck all that much. It was never intended to be a daily driver but now I am looking a maybe a couple of Saturdays or Sundays a month for a short cruise. At $2.50 for premium it adds up pretty fast. Wondering if anybody else is having the same thoughts?
Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #42
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orence1
I find my enthusiasm for my truck project starting to diminish a bit. I have a number of items on my to-do list that I want to finish and they will cost money. Now I find myself wondering whether or not I can justify the expense of the upgrades when I really can't afford to drive the truck all that much. It was never intended to be a daily driver but now I am looking a maybe a couple of Saturdays or Sundays a month for a short cruise. At $2.50 for premium it adds up pretty fast. Wondering if anybody else is having the same thoughts?
Same thing here. I was thinking about spending a little extra cash this summer on a bigger cam, lower gears, fatter carb, ect for my '72, but having to run premium gas i can't really justify the expense. I'm thinking of putting the money into a new bike or computer instead, lol.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #43
busterwivell

I will not send my wife off in a car small enough to fit in the glovebox of my truck! I want her to get home and fix dinner! JUST KIDDING! I'll keep her in a Tahoe, even though it is 50 miles round trip to work. And, no, public transportation isn't an opton, we'd have to drive a minimum of 25 miles round trip to us it. I am, however, thinking about going to a 4 day work week. I haven't heard any talk of reducing taxes on gasoline. I haven't heard it made a political campaign issue yet, but I'll bet it becomes one.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #44
Bobalouie
Fetzer Valve Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Suburban
Name one leader from the Middle East that has announced their support for Kerry?

It is not the Saudi's, it is the oil companies. The price does not reflect the price of a barrel. There is no way it should be this high just because of the cost of a barrel of oil.

It was not the Saudi's that shut down refinaries to decrease the supply of gas. It was not the Saudi's that increased the wholesale price per gallon last week 15-20 cents per gallon.

If you think the US's meager reserves are the solution to this, especially Bush's problems with getting re-elected, wow

You may be right on the endorsement, because I cant find it where I thought I read it.

So that is why just before March 31st, of 2004, OPEC agreed to reduce production of oil by 4%. Saudi Arabia, the largest of the OPEC producers, went along with the decision to cut production. You dont have to shut down refineries when you control the raw product. Might the oil companies be gouging a little? Sure they are, but dont tell me that OPEC has nothing to do with it.

Speculators and futures traders are the ones that are screwing us some, but when the price of oil hits $40/barrel of crude like it is right now, I say most of the problem is production. That is a price increase of $7 a barrel from April 19th to May 7th. That is roughly 20% increase, and assuming that the trend from barrels to gas at the pump is linear, that puts you at around $0.30/gallon increase. In my neck of the woods we were at about $1.60 or so, which should put us at $1.90 now. We are actually at $1.88 right now.

And no, I dont think that the US reserves are the answer, but he better do something. You have to admit that two oil tycoons sitting in the White house start to not look too swell in November with gas sitting at $3 a gallon, and it costing $250 a month to heat your house.
Bobalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #45
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalouie
You may be right on the endorsement, because I cant find it where I thought I read it.

So that is why just before March 31st, of 2004, OPEC agreed to reduce production of oil by 4%. Saudi Arabia, the largest of the OPEC producers, went along with the decision to cut production. You dont have to shut down refineries when you control the raw product. Might the oil companies be gouging a little? Sure they are, but dont tell me that OPEC has nothing to do with it.......

And no, I dont think that the US reserves are the answer, but he better do something. You have to admit that two oil tycoons sitting in the White house start to not look too swell in November with gas sitting at $3 a gallon, and it costing $250 a month to heat your house.
I just saw on CNN that Saudi Arabia is going to up production by about 1.5 million barrels a day.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid...at=oil_and_gas

As for doing something? We should have been doing something for the past 30 years. I told a friend about a year ago that shortly fuel will reach $2 a gallon and we might not ever return below that bench mark. I hope I am wrong, but......

As for house heating, I guess I am lucky that I am in AZ. I have never had a natural gas bill over $30. I feel sorry for those families back east that get hit so hard in the winter.

Last edited by 68 Suburban; 05-10-2004 at 05:54 PM.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #46
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orence1
I guess I am pretty lucky that my burb uses 87 octane and can get 19+/- on the highway. If prices keep going the way they are in the next couple of weeks, I am seriously going to reconsider my trip back to Chicago

Last edited by 68 Suburban; 05-12-2004 at 04:12 AM.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:53 PM   #47
busterwivell

I'm seriously thinking about skipping the next few Pomona Swap meets and the LA Roadster Show. A friend was going on the Power Tour, but now isn't. It's a shame that we're getting hosed (pun) by the oil companies in the land of plenty.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:56 PM   #48
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell
I'm seriously thinking about skipping the next few Pomona Swap meets and the LA Roadster Show. A friend was going on the Power Tour, but now isn't. It's a shame that we're getting hosed (pun) by the oil companies in the land of plenty.
I know it sucks, but hopefully enough people cut back, so the oil companies "choke" on their supply!

Old 05-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #49
CPNEJR

I know i don't drive but...it's bad enought that chevy came up with 50 (so far) of electric/gas silverados!!! I think this sucks!!!
72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
CPNEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:54 PM   #50
Shane65

Does supply and demand affect prices as well? This does have something to do with the price gas stations charge. What's the biggest gas company in the States(I'm from Canada, so I'm not sure)? What if the majority of the public didn't buy gas from them. Their market share suffers. They lower their price to gain back customers. Other companies now see their recently new found customers go down the road to the lowest priced gas station. What do you suppose they would do? I know it's a pipedream, but maybe we can show some smarts.
Shane65 is offline   Reply With Quote