The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2004, 07:56 AM   #26
rolnlow

( this is very long , sorry)I had to chime in here. alot of of whjats posted above is true, there are very very few true resto shops anymore, simply because insurance money WILL feed you. I do alot of resto work, and almost nill ins. work. when you get into older cars, almost always its worse than it looks. some people like myself will fix alot of little extra things just to make the overall job look better and last longer. several look at as"this truck has been around for 20-30 years and looks like this, I want it to be around another 20-30 and look better" so you take in account all the minor fixes and "this just isnt quite rightyet" and you will have time added up.I found asking " how long do we have on it?" and getting the customers expectation helps. it gives me a deadline to shoot for. I hear what you all are syaing, and from a truck owners stand point I understand, but from the restorer stand point I think" why would you want me to cut corners and hurry so you can do this all over again in 5 or 10 years?" I just had a guy that I was working on his car, full frame off, blasted the body, replaced EVERY piece of metal except for fiewall and roof (no exageration) I took the time to clean and galvinize the entire inner structure of the car, undercoat inside the rockers, fenders, quarters, tec. so it wouldnt rust almost forever. and the guy got mad because I took almost a year when he told me inthe first place he wanted a custom show car. ok a show car is perfect you dont put ragedy bolts in a show car, you dont leave huge factory gaps in between the panels and fill them with seam sealer like the factory did. so sometimes its the little things you cant just walk up to and see that take the time. I know its frustrating but sometime petience can payoff for the customer, I had a guy come and look at his car last night that I went that extra mile on, and he was like how much extra is this gonna cost me?" he about crapped when I said " nothing" and he was major happy. oops I'm rambling. in a nut shell as long as its being worked on be glad its taking time, it means someone is paying attention to details, like it was stated you can have it cheap and fast but do you want it chap and fast twice over?
rolnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 AM   #27
GMC AMI

Thanks for your side. I did not try to cut corners or hurry the paint guy, he simply would not put it back together after I paid in full. After not bugging him he still rushed the Pass. side of box and left visable DA sander marks under the paint. I do not think he will stay in operation very long at this rate.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:22 AM   #28
rolnlow

then yea I agree with ya. no matter what, if he took it apart he should put it back together. and the one side should have been just like the rest of the truck. I hate hearing this stuff. I wish you the best of luck with it.if there is anything I can do for ya , just give me shout.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #29
rolnlow

oh and never ever ever pay in full! ( I cant beleive I just typed that) it keeps motivation as a factor if you dont.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #30
GMC AMI

Thanks rolnlow, I trusted him at first and he needed the money so I thought if I helped him out he would do a better job. I even supplied parts and paint, at least he did not make money off the supplies. Mike
It does teach one a valuable lesson though. Thanks to all, I feel better just ranting this all off my chest.