The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #26
CowChick

Had to drive down a street and mountain driveway with about 4 inches of slushy snow and ice today. Me and my sis off-roadin in the little 2.0 ltr...soooo much fun, we were screaming and sliding all over, up against snowbanks and just missing ditches. Two of the hills we had to drive over had pretty deep snow so lost all speed about half way up, so I backed down 4 or 5 times to get goin a little faster. THIS is why I wouldn't give the country up for anything! Wish I had pictures of the roads here, some of them are crazy, if I was real worried about my cars paint job (or undercarriage!!) I would park it all winter but I had a horse sit on the hood and tree branches fall on the roof haha, not much I can do to save the paint.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:31 AM   #27
Southpa

Real black ice? Even if you feel you and your vehicle are capable of driving around on the stuff, others aren't. I don't care what kind of car, truck or whatever you are driving, unless you have spikes coming out of your tires, its going to be a slippery ride. Its best to just take a bus or something. We rarely get snow around here. But I don't drive my truck at all when it happens. I have good deep tread Michelins and lots of experience, but I just don't trust the other folks out there.

After a fresh snowfall you will notice the tracks left behind by other vehicles. People tend to follow each other's tire tracks. Those tire tracks get compacted and eventually turn into slippery ice ruts. You get better traction by driving on virgin snow. Thats what "snow" tires are made for, not driving on compacted ice. You know you have some traction when you can hear that "crunch" sound of snow being squeezed out of your treads.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 01-18-2005 at 04:37 AM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 AM   #28
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Yeah, we just got a bunch of freezing rain up here in MT. Holy Shi* its slick out there, Just barely even touching the stupid pedal will get your back tires spinning. There were people sliding off the road all over town because there just being idiots by driving to fast and locking up their brakes and going into some wicked skids.
-Peace
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #29
chevyboy55

I have been driving big rigs hauling gasoline for close to 30 yrs. When it comes to driving on ice your best to try to wait it out if possible. But that does not always work. Just try to drive as far ahead as possible. If you anticapate far enough ahead you can slow without touching your brakes. One key is to keep moving. When you stop & try to get going again is when your wheels usually spin out. When you are coming to a stop, look for the gravel or fresh untracked snow on the right & try to use it without getting too close to the shoulder. Always assume the other guy may not be able to stop, so when coming to an intersection be ready in case they can't stop & go sliding through it. For the most part just go slow & easy. If you are going to be packing tire chains (which I highly advise) Get the diamond pattern style. When they are on the tire, there is a diamond pattern on the tire tread,that way there is always chain in contact with the road. With the cross link style you can be stopped & be between links & not have chains in contact with the road. Les Schwab tire sells them for around $65.00. GOOD LUCK!
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #30
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

One of the first things you do is find out if you're on ice, Sometimes it's deceiving.

At a reasonable speed, ( I like 30 to 35) with no one ahead or behind you, Let off the gas, hit your breaks and release , ( do this Quickly and sharply) If you're on Ice you will slide..If it's partial ice and snow, Now you know to slow down and drive as the condition requires.

This winter I have been driving Many days on Ice, I drive 40 miles one way. A Locker in the rear will do wonders as long as you drive with it and not against it. IE: slow down and do not give it ANY gas in a corner,, With 2 wheels under Power in the rear , It will PUSH the car/truck straight instead of allowing it to turn. You Hunters should know what I mean..

My Work car has a posi rear end and open in the front, I Absolutely Love it. 155 Horse automatic. No neck snapping starts with it. and with the torque Convertor slightly slipping, no lock ups when you let the clutch out.

3 weeks ago I passed 3 Four wheel drive trucks in the ditch, at the rollover at the top of a pass, I had to come to a Complete stop, Then go out around them..on ICE, The guy ahead of me slid into the Ditch, ( Making it 4-4X4s) because he nailed the gas when we were able to go around the others..

Throttle Management !!!!!! Number #1 thing on ice..

There is a New traction device on the Market, Way easier to install then chains, but they are expensive, Around $400.00 for set of 2.. They're called Spiders.. I seen them at Big-O while buying my snow tires... I use Michelin "Pilots" Severe weather Tread....

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 01-18-2005 at 09:20 PM.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote