The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #26
Broken_down?

I got my 50th from my grand father. His older brother had it sence forever. I remember riding it @ like 9yrs old. Well he passed and left the truck to my grandfather. I had restored a 72 CST K5 blazer with my dad. I decided that I would rather have the truck then the blazer. My grand father said woudl I like to trade. I said hell ya. So That how I got my truck. I found out later it was a 50th and no one ever new..lol She is parked right now getting ready for a restro.

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #27
Orange70chevy

I have had my truck for 12 years. My dad bought me my truck when I was 16. He did not know anything about cars and neither did I. We bought it a a swap meet freshly painted and ready to sell. Well a few months later it needed a new engine. I worked for my dad all summer framing houses to save up for my new engine. Me and my brother in law put the new engine in and things were fine. A few years later the paint started to fade and crack and a head cracked and I was tired of it so I put it for sale. After a few months no one bought it so my dad talked me into fixing it so I did. Thing were fine for a few years and then it stated to burn oil so I pulled the engine and then I got burnt out. The truck sat for three years. I decided to put a crate engine in and it has been running ever sence. I just need to finish it now. And I am glad I still have it.
Orange70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:45 PM   #28
68gmcdually

My truck sat at my dad's shop for sale on consignment for a few months and I casually looked at it but I was 17 and had a S-15 and didn't require it at the time. Finally in the spring I decided I really needed it, bought the fiancee a cavalier, parked the S-15 and drove the wheels off of my '68. That fall I decided that if I made it so that it wouldn't run I would'nt be tempted to drive it until I restored it. Needless to say 3 years later the truck is still in the shop getting restored/customized with a projected finish date of May 2005, I hope anyways.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #29
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Dec of 1984 , for me & that old longhorn......lets just say it has been a learning experience! No schooling on the mechanics, or rods.......did it all the "hard road", on those old Chevs....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #30
bagged91
Out draggin'

I started looking for an "old truck" while I was building my 91 GMC. I found a rusty but low milage 76' Chevy crewcab dually. It was loaded and priced right so I bought it. I drove it "as is" to the store, pulled down a few tree's with it(literally pulled some 20' pine trees out of the ground) and other places for about 1 year. In the meantime while looking for a rustfree cab for it, I stumbled across a 71' C10 Burb, 307, 3 spd, sitting in a junkyard. The truck was complete but with a blown up motor. It was a relative of the owners who originally bought the truck. I inquired about it and they told me $750 with a title for the truck complete. I went back about a month later and someone bought the front seat & front doorpanels, column, dash, grille, back bumper and every stitch of wiring under the hood along with the carb & aircleaner, starter, Y pipe & pass side exhaust manifold. I asked about it again and they told me $200 with the title this time. SOLD!!! I bought it on the spot and called a friend up with a trailer. Had it at my house that night. A week later, I pulled the 454 & T400 out of the Crewcab and sold the rolling body for $350.00. While sifting through the burb, I found the original sales invoice for it and all of the maintenance records sitting under the back seat in the original dealer folder. That was December of 2003. A couple of weeks later, I spotted a burb sitting in a field. I got off the interstate and went to the farm. After asking if I could go and look at the burb, I went and checked it out. It was a 72 C20 burb. 402/T400, full A/C, AM/FM, Powerlok, ect... Came back after work and talked to the owner. Bought it on the spot for $425.00. Came back a week later with a trailer and 2 4x4 trucks to pull it out of the mud(it was sunk to the rockers). Took it to my dads house, cleaned off the animal frass, changed the oil, new points, bypassed the gas tank and put in a battery. Started right up and runs beautiful. This is now my parts donor truck for the 71'. I am using the 454/T400 from the 76 but all of the brackets & mounts & accessories off the 72. The 402 will be going in my Nova with a M21 over the summer.

I will be getting a 3rd Burb from boardmember "Cheesewagon". Worked a deal out with him & "Crews" for it... These things are addicting to say the least...
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #31
mr402

I’ve had my 71 since 1975. Think Bi-Centennial and Revolutionary war. My dad was a real big Revolutionary war buff and was very involved in the reenactments going on at the time. I needed a vehicle and he had a friend selling the 71 Chevy. Dad was far from a car/truck nut so had no idea he was helping me (17 years old) to buy a big block truck with all the goodies. During those years I helped my dad out with his reenactments by hauling a cannon around in the back of the truck. Man, I wish I had pictures! Picture a revolutionary style cannon with the barrel pointing straight at whatever car was behind me. Lots of fun and some strange looks.
The best time is when some kid pulled up beside me at a light revving his engine and doing burnouts. At the 2nd light I’d had enough of it so punched it. I still remember the look on his face at the next light. Blown off by a truck with a cannon in the back. Now that was cool. I still have that truck in the garage in many pieces, slowly putting it back together, rebuilding, replacing or modifying every piece. And yeah, dad passed away 10 years ago. His birthday was 3 days ago. Thanks for helping me to remember.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #32
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North
I found My Truck in the local Autotrader. Bought it when I was 21 in the summer of 2002. I'll be holding on it to tell I die.....
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #33
Bryan68custom

I got mine from my Dad, He bought it in 1972 all original with 250,AC,3 speed overdrive 50th anniversary He had a fender bender and repainted it maroon and white. it had set since 1986 and I got it a couple of years ago. It now has a GMC frame with leafs and disc brake 5 hole wheels was a 350 now back to the 250 it sounds sweeter anyway. The 3 spd. is long gone so I am running a turbo 350 til I locate a 200r4. And I am going to paint it either original or teel green and white.
2008 crew cab lt (rolling on dubs)

"The nice part about living in a small town is when you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does"
Bryan68custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 PM   #34
ABHaulR

Talking my truck

well my grandfather bought mine new in 72, he used it to drive to and from work and to the dump. we used it to go hunting and fishing all year long. we my grandpa pasted on, it was given to my dad, he was the closest to my grandpa. when i came to visit it was given to me for the work on my dads 67. so i rebuilt my dads engine, trans, rear end, complete brakes. when i got it, it was all original, the only thing that had ever been done to it besides regular maint was a timing chain, that i did on vacation visiting my dad..LOL. finally after 345,000 miles on the old small block, it was time to do some work. its somthing thats been in the family and will never be owned by any other than me or my family.
Dwayne
ABHaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #35
Robert1970C20rstbukt

My truck's been in the family since '78. It started out as a farm truck on a cow farm, and the elderly man that owned it passed on sometime in the mid '70's. The farm was sold and every truck there came with the sale of the farm. My Grandfather knew the people that bought the farm, and they didn't need 3 pickups. There were two stepsides and one 3/4 ton fleetside, and they gave him a deal on the fleetside since he was looking for one so he took it. It had(has) a 71 or 72 front clip, and when he bought it it had a worn out 283 block, with 350 heads and intake. The oil pump crapped out and the engine locked up, and the original TH350 trans "blew up", so he dropped a built 350/TH400 setup in it and it's still there. He drove it till '96 when the body/suspension literally started to fall apart so my dad bought him a '83 Silverado 10 to replace it. The '70 got a welding machine loaded into the bed and it got pushed out in the field where it sat till September '03 when I started working on it because I needed a truck to drive and I always liked that truck anyway. I had wanted a late 70's or mid 80's K20 or K30 but I was told that I "didn't need" a 4x4 truck. Dammit. If it wasn't gonna be a 4x4 it was gonna be a C20 or a C30 for sure. I hate 1/2 tons obviously. I needed a truck that could take a bashing and keep going so that's why I wanted a heavier truck. Anyway the first thing we did was hoist the huge welder out and then we started working on the engine, drivetrain, etc and got it road worthy. I plan on restoring it to original condition, but I like the idea of making it a dually so you never know. I hope I can keep my truck till the day I die.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:21 AM   #36
Zurbo

I bought my '72 from my Grandfather back in 2001. He had bought the truck new and I remember plenty of rides around town in the truck with him when I was much younger. The truck is for the most part an unmolested original and I plan to keep it that way when I restore it.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #37
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I had wanted a 60-72 since my dad parted out the 69 he owned. After I bought a 72 Chevelle I decided I wanted a 72 pickup to tow the car when I restored it. I had asked around for a year or so with some luck. I looked at a few but none of them really spoke to me. Then at my grandfather's funeral I was talking to my uncle to see if he knew of any,that's when he said he still had the 72 he bought new. He then asked me if I wanted it. It took be about a nanosecond to say he!! yeah. All he wanted was the motor back, at that time it was an 84 6.2 diesel he had installed. After waiting a few months he said come get it diesel and all. That weekend I went up and drove her home. After frying the diesel I decided to put in the big block I had in the Chevelle. After that I lost interest in the car and sold it but still have the pickup...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #38
Super Duck
Chevy Nuttttt

I was driving an 84 k5 and just got tired of working on it and dicided to sell it and get my first love (as far as trucks) a 67 short bed. I scoured the country for the "right truck" and a friend said that a guy on base had two. I imidetly found the guys house and struck a deal. I gave too much for it but hey thats life (not realy but Tim will probably read this "aka 67chev"). I ended up making a good frien out of it too.

hey who lernt me to spell

is there anything else?
Super Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:16 AM   #39
shortymac83
hmm...

well, the history of my truck is kinda simple, 105,000 miles of puttering around the same town owned by an old guy that was a handyman by trade. Probably never saw the other side of 50 mph. He died and willed it to his daughter who kept it at her lake house (she lived in Indy) and it sat there for 8 years. at that time, she gave it to the local mechanic who got it started with some gas down the carb a new battery and a turn of the key. It sat there for about 6 months before I couldn't take it anymore and bought it on the spot. A new battery, cap, rotor, point, plugs and wires and a tank of gas and I drove it home on half flat bias-ply tires that were older than dirt. It sat there for about 3 months before I started driving it, but it ate batteries at the tune of like 2 a week, so I changed the alternator. SInce then, it moved 90% of our stuff to the new house, was severely overloaded on a 35 year old suspension, and is still ticking.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:57 AM   #40
Nima
Blue 67

Well, it's been less than a year that I bought my 67 long bed. I found it on the internet. I always liked to work on cars but I don't have any experience. This is my first truck. I always wanted a truck since I do lots of work around the house. I didn't want a newer one because of the price and also because they look too complicated beside what is the fun on some thing that everybody else has it?! Now this poor truck is my experimental lab rat!. I love it since working on it keeps me calm and when I finish a section, make me feel good.
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #41
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Dragged my truck out of a field 2 years ago. I had blown yet another headgasket on my 89 Toyo 4x4 and had had enough! Figured if I was gonna hafta wrench on my daily driver I was gonna wrench on something with class. Bought it for $400. Pretty much EVERYTHING under the hood is new. Just got her painted last Nov.. I still see the previous owners son at my daughters school. He gets a big kick seein his grandpa's old truck all dolled up.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #42
Exille

I helped work on the brakes in my autoshop class back in 2001, turned out it was my autoshop teachers truck and he was looking to sell it, paid him $700 cash, although he wasnt very truthful about most of the truck, for one he had said the engine was completely rebuilt and so was the TH400, both leaked like a seive, he said the bench seat was in mint condition (even though it was covered with a old nasty tweed cover) , turns out the engine had over 400k miles on it and had mixed pistons (yes you heard me, 2 dished,2 flattops and the rest were stock) but, all in all it ran OK, we had some good times too, like in the highschool parking lot in summer school where we were challenged to do a reverse burnout longer then the cocky honda boy's 20 footer, muwahaha did we show him! even the campus police congratulated me! he even tore up the ticket he wrote!, the marks are still there, from end-to-end of the parking lot, about 3 school bus lenghts parked front to back, she even held up at the track, believe it or not, when i slapped in a borrowed 750 q-jet from my brothers 72 pickup it pulled a mid 14 1/4 i shat you not! and that even being my first drag race
Exille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #43
71Blazer
Goodbye Darlin'

Well I'm the original owner... I wish I'm probably the 50th owner- and it shows. I bought My 71 K5 to replace the 84 K5 that had been wrecked (not by me) a few months before.

I've had it now 5 years and haven't done nearly as much to it as I've dreamed about. After an ill-fated attempt to convert it to TPI I've just recently went back to a carburetor. But the engine compartment got detailed in the process so it's nice to pop the hood and look at the pretty paint. And the over-bored 400 is pretty stout so it accelerates well... all the way to the next gas station

And in the next 34 years I'll redo the interior, refresh the drivetrain and paint it.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #44
Mint68

I had been cruising my 71 4x4 for about six months when i noticed a odd green colored blazer sitting at a cinclair gas station. I told my dad since he had always wanted one; he looked at it and didn't want to shell out the money at that time "needs some work to be a driver". Almost six months later a friend of mine wanted to buy a cheap 4x4, a ram charger. What kind of friend would i be to let another friend buy a dodge? So i struck up a deal to sell him my chevy, and i would upgrade to the blazer. I went back to the station over a year after seeing the blazer, and asked to drive it. It drove like a dream, much smoother than my 71, i knew i had to have it. A week later i was back with cash in hand, and the proud new owner of a one owner 70 CST Blazer.

It had 78,000 one owner miles, and everything was there, minus the two front hubcaps. I opened the glovebox and there sits the original owners manual, and owner protection plan. I couldn't believe it had the protecto-plate and all the original papers; it even had a check list the dealership went over before selling the truck. The manager at the gas station says there is still more parting gifts to be had, they just need to go through the garage it sat its whole life in.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #45
ricochet442

my little brother bought mine off of e-bay fer 1900.00 dollars,we flew to utah and drove it back to wisconsin.after he had it for a month he decided it wasn,t practical with 4 kids. i bought for what he had in it. after i bought it a old guy at a gas station offered me 6000.00 for but i won't part with it.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #46
Hook'em

When I was looking for my first vehicle I wanted one of these trucks. Dad and I looked around, but could not find what we were looking for, at least for what we had to spend. I ended up getting another vehicle. Well, about 10 years later Dad purchased this truck for himself. He had it here in Texas until he purchased a second home in Soap Lake, Washington. He used the truck up there for pulling his boat to the different lake he liked to fish and it was his daily driver. In April of 2004 Dad passed away and I asked to have the truck. My stepmother shipped it back to Texas and I have been driving it ever since. I wanted to give it a name that I could relate back to Dad. My first thought was Bent Rod, but I figured, although it has a good connotation with fishing, its not such a good thing with trucks. Therefore, I decided to call it Tightlines.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #47
Zeke

Always liked these year trucks and found one on the internet, my son was visiting and I mentioned this truck looked like a good deal. My son surprised me and said he would buy it as kinda payback for all the times I bailed him out financially. Went to Tuscaloosa looked, bought and drove it home. Sentimental value since he really couldn't aford it and I have paid him back indirectly.

When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent. George Carlin
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #48
454_72_4X4

My granddad bought my 72 in Oct of 82 when I was 15. It was his first and only 4x4, (and his first/only V8!). In my late teens/early 20's I beat it to death and then later I inherited it and got to fix all the parts I tore up! Replaced the front and rear ends and numerous motors, installed the 4in lift, and finally converted it to big block power a few years back, (396), Just this spring I got the 454 in it. Now I want to convert to a NV4500 5 speed before this coming spring. Also just got a decent set of bedsides for it so maybe I can get it painted too.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #49
bigcdawg99

My dad and I bought a 62 longbed in high school and ran out of money before we got it on the road. When I turned 16 I bought his 87 GMC 4X4 shorty from him and wrecked it when I was 18. Then I bought a 76 4X4 blazer (fast as hell, looked tough too), but had to sell it shortly there after. That was about 6 years ago. Now that I'm established and have the money I'd been thinking about getting a truck to build and the 67-72 shorties have always been my favorite. I was checking out a Nova my dads friend was building a few months ago and I was telling him I was going to start looking. It turned out he had just traded for a 71 gmc shorty in pretty good shape. Paid him $700 plus a small fee for hauling it down to my house and I'm in business. It was cool buying it from him because I grew up wrenching on his project's and he taught me a lot of what I know about mechanics. I know he'll be as proud as my dad when I finish it.

"I like guns. You got a gun, you don't have to work out."

Chris Rock
bigcdawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #50
daves72C10D

My grandfather ordered the 72 Custom 10 Deluxe in Lincolnton, NC. I still have all paperwork as well as all the registration cards from all the years. Stock paint and it just turned over to 70k miles.
1990 Eagle Talon AWD
1991.5 W250 CTD
1992 Cushman Truckster- Haulster
daves72C10D is offline   Reply With Quote