The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2005, 12:43 AM   #26
4x4Poet

I'd be concerned with sand getting in the greased axle and suspension components. An option is to have it blasted with high-volume plastic beads that won't harm rubber and are too large to get into everything. The dust is not tougher than metal in bearings. Disadvantage: won't remove rust that's not loose already. But what's left could be converted to zinc with zinc phosphate.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:20 AM   #27
Russell
Professional Grade

I plan to wirewheel the wide open parts of my frame, then blast the rest of it with my little sand blaster. It took me about 2 hours to strip the one frame rail on my GMC down to bare metal with the wirebrush (less nooks and crannies which would have been done with the sand blaster)

I then decided not to bother with it as I had no frame coating, and now it looks just like it did before, lol
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #28
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

One thing you can do besides powder coating is POR-15. It does a good job of sealing the metal, and works real good on sandblasted steel. Color choice is limited, but they do have a semi-gloss black that's close to the original frame color. www.por15.com

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #29
guyryan100

I had the full rolling chassie blasted for $200. I would have spent that in brush wheels alone, and there's a lot you can't get to with a wheel. It's worth pulling the engine. I did no prior cleaning to remove grease or gunk, and the frame came back glistening in the sunlight.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #30
busterwivell

I agree with the blaster theory. I also agree about the grease. You don't want to leave the engine and tranny on the frame for a couple of reasons. 1. You don't want media in them (and, trust me, it'll get in there) and 2, it would be real tough to turn over to get all of the frame. Besides, it wouldn't be a complete frame off (in my opinion) if you had left them attached. You're that close, do it right. I did one frame by myself.........never again!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:40 AM   #31
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell
I agree with the blaster theory....Besides, it wouldn't be a complete frame off (in my opinion) if you had left them attached. You're that close, do it right....
Then you'll have no concerns but what paint/coating to use. And if the motor mounts are original, they surely need replacement.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #32
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

Sorry to get off the Thread a little. But does' any one know of a reasonably priced sand blaster in the San Antonio TX. area?
oj70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #33
70 longbed

I didn't do a frame off, but I did clean up the frame as best I could with pressure washer, degreaser and brushes. I am sorry that I did not go all the way and have it done. It really makes the final product nicer, even if you don't have it blasted, have it washed and paint it.

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #34
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Blast it! I went with a 10 gal pressurized blaster, frame probably took me 8 hours to do right, not counting setup and reloading sand. In that ten hours I probably refiled the blaster at least 20 times! Cost for the blaster and sand was about the same as the going rate for hiring it done around here, but now I own the blaster and have 60 gallons of sand to blast other parts of the truck, suspension parts etc. I found the blasting really fun, taking a rusty crappy part and making it clean again. Like others said, get the grease buildup areas clean before blasting. Note you do need good air supply to run even a small blaster, I worked the hell out of the 80gal 12hp 2 stage compressor at my shop while blasting.