The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2005, 02:24 AM   #26
4x4Poet

Reserve met!

I had a so so day today. At least that's my excuse for nitpicking that truck.

427 Big Block 60 Over Dynoed at 450 HP: Awesome! Wish I knew where his chosen cam produces power so I could nitpick it.

Fresh Eaton posi in rear with 4:11 gears: Nice posi & gear ratio, but the 1/2 ton axles are too weak for that rat. Then again, it is a swb 4x4, so drag racing & heavy towing shouldn't come into play. Just take it easy off-road. Assuming the new owner takes it off-road.

electric fans: Big mistake. (I know, but I'm entitled to my opinion)

All new wiring: Xlnt!

Hooker SuperComp headers (JetHot coated): Tube headers. Tolerable for the power. Intolerable for the noise and maybe for the heat.

3 inch exhaust system (also JetHot coated): Impressive, power-wise, but the exhaust exits under the vehicle and the tips are pointed down. It would make major dust clouds off road, especially with that 427. Should come out the sides behind the rear wheels.

K&N filter with outerwear: Stupid. At least the crappy filter's not naked.

Optima dry cell battery, GM high-performance gear reduction starter: Nice.

TRANS- Turbo 400 (rebuilt with new B&M 2800 stall converter), B&M aluminum deep pan, B&M transmission cooler (external): Good, but seems a little high stall rpm. Maybe ok for a mudder but who's gonna get it dirty? I'd want a manual, but that's not a complaint.

TRANSFER CASE- NP 205 (completely rebuilt): As should be expected.

TIRES & WHEELS- Dick Cepek Fun Country radials (not Kevlar) 36x16.50x15 mounted on 15x12 MT classic IIs: Not my cup of tea, but worthy.

SUSPENSION- Skyjacker 6 inch all spring lift (no rear blocks) with Off-Road Design shackle kit (all polyurethane bushings with greasable shackle bolts). Chrome shocks with dual steering stabilizer (also with chrome brackets). 3 inch body lift: This is where he blew it. The springs aren't long enough, hence the wrong angle at the front shackles. All four springs provide lift thru near all arch with little progression. Total crap! Axle-wrap city. Must ride like sh!t. First thing to go. No, the second. Make that third. First is the chrome shocks & steering stabilizers, second is the body lift. Way too much air between the fenders and tires. The amount of just spring lift is ok, though. I'd have gone 4" custom springs with lower fender trimming, but had he also, he probably wouldn't be getting over $20k already, if ever.

There! I feel better.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 03-12-2005 at 02:38 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote