The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #26
Dean23
68cst_ss490

I agree for a work truck drums are better but for a street machine. go with 4 wheel disc. the mud and rocks kill rear discs up here in alberta
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #27
junkyardjohn

[QUOTE=screamin_c10]I don't recall saying that drums are better than disks, I suggest you re-read the post, and refrain from putting words in my mouth.

I said in a nutshell that unless you spend a few bucks and know exactly what you are doin then leave well enough alone. Disks are a better setup than drums for most occasions, but only if properly designed into a system. I think it unwise to "rig" a braking system together and take your own and other peoples lives in jeopardy on the interstate. I live in a state full of hillbilly's (present company excluded) and NO inspections. You ought to see the sh!t on the road here, usually 'cause Bubba thought it was a good idear, his 9th grade education outways the PHD that originally designed the system. /QUOTE]
I THINK YOURE ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT .... I THINK PEOPLE THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA (OR AS YOU & BUBBA WOULD SAY "IDEAR) HOW A BRAKING SYSTEM OPERATES SHOULD LEAVE THE BRAKING SYSTEM ALONE. I NEVER RECOMENDED "RIGGING" A SYSTEM. (PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH) THE ORIGINAL DESIGN OF THESE TRUCKS IS OVER 40 YEARS OLD, & BELIEVE ME... THEY HAVE IMPROVED SINCE THEN. I DONT HAVE ANY CONTROLL OVER THE WAY PEOPLE "RIG" VEHICALS UP BY YOU. FOR YOU TO COME OFF LIKE YOU DO AFTER BEING ON THIS BOARD LESS THAN A MONTH , SAYS AN AWFUL LOT ABOUT YOU. I HAVE A REASON FOR TYPING IN ALL CAPS, BUT SEEING AS HOW YOU'VE BEEN ON HERE FOR LESS THAN A MONTH.. I GUESS YOU WOULDN'T KNOW NOW WOULDYA. MAYBE YOUR TRUCK WASN'T RANDOMLY VANDELIZED, BUT HAD THE SH!T KICKED OUT OF THE TAILGATE, AS A RESULT OF YOU'RE SPARKELING PERSONALITY. AFTER ALL.. YOU JUST CALLED EVERYONE IN YOU'RE STATE A BUNCH OF MOUTH BREATHING, INBREAD JED HILLBILLYS (MOST CALLED BUBBA) EXCEPT YOU OF COARSE. OH WELL .. WELCOME TO THE GREATEST TRUCK BOARD ON EARTH. STICK AROUND. EVEN THE MOST EXPERIANCED & KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON ON THESE TRUCKS CAN LEARN SOMTHING. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #28
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

You still have not shown me where I said drums are better than disks.

I don't give a flyin' flip how long I have been on this board, rigging a brake system is STUPID.

After I've sat on my ass and racked up close to 4,000 posts maybe I'll be as smart as you, but until then I'll take my college educated, degree be havin' ass back to school for ANOTHER physics class.

I'm done.

Last edited by screamin_c102; 04-03-2005 at 08:20 PM.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #29
junkyardjohn

CALM DOWN... YOU'LL BURST A VEIN IN YOUR FORHEAD. I AGREE ABOUT JERRY RIGGING A BRAKE SYSTEM. I STILL SAY FROM NEVADA. THERES TONS OF KNOWLEDGE ON THIS BOARD, & YOU NEVER KNOW WHOS GONNA COME UP WITH THE NEXT GREAT IDEA. YA JUST HAVE TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND . JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #30
CJJ67

Thanks to all for the great information and additional links for more information. Krue, to answer your question, I think there are more members like me. Novice, looking for information. Knowledgeable people like you and some of the board members keep us from asking the same questions over and over. Keeps things simple. Semper FI
CJJ67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #31
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
By the way, the Caps Lock key is on the left side of the keyboard, consider yourself enlightened.
Do you come across as an a$$hole naturally ... or do you have to work at it?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #32
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

"It's a gift... and a curse."
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #33
ehjorten

An interesting topic with many different opinions interlaced with facts and personal experience. One thing to note is that in general rear disc brakes will panic stop a vehicle under a more controlled manner. The increased mechanical advantage and the self-actuating nature of a drum brake tends to make the disc/drum car lock-up its rear wheels under panic braking. Rear disc brakes do not suffer as greatly this malady. As noted it is important to understand the basic design of a braking system so that when you are retrofitting a safety device to a vehicle that wasn't designed for it, you make the right choices.
Slammed, Custom IFS and IRS
Money?...Too Much!
ehjorten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #34
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

so what about the Fred Flinstone brake design?!? LOL you guys crack me up...
Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #35
raggedjim

The Flintstone design has flaws... That's why Fred has four toes, he burned 2 off in a panic stop. This could of been prevented, but cavemen aren't receptive to new ideas...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #36
vfrdude

My truck has front disk brakes without power assist - I don't have a problem stopping it. My daughter who weighs about 100 lbs. wet doesn't have any problems stopping it either. It would be nice to have power assist, but it's a 'nice to have', not 'i gotta have, because I can't stop' kind of thing.

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #37
custom67gmc

i personally think it is all a matter of preference, but i have found a company with a rear disc kit that includes parking brake style calipers for anyone whos interrested
http://www.brothersonlinestore.com/store_ie.asp
custom67gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:20 PM   #38
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Do you come across as an a$$hole naturally ... or do you have to work at it?
OT - I think the insult was unnecessary, but there are certain posts I can't read on the forum because reading all caps hurts my eyes and it looks like a person is screaming at me. I think a lot of the reason he gets so much flak from everyone is because he types in caps and when you type in caps, a joke or fun "poke" turns into a flat-out insult.

I wish I had a filter that would convert everything to lowercase - it's bad nettiquette to type in all capital letters.

On-topic...custom67gmc: I just noticed that disc brake conversion - $700. Is it only for the front, or does it include all four calipers and rotors? If it was for all four, I would totally pay that much - I priced it out at the auto parts store and I'm looking at $450 in new parts to convert the front and back - and that doesn't include the stuff I gotta get from the salvage yard.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 04-19-2005 at 10:21 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #39
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

if you look at it again the bottom 3 are rear disk conversions for 649.99

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #40
custom67gmc

it is 700 for rear only but it has all new parts, no salvage stuff, which to me, getting stuff from a salvage isnt always the best route, as for the front kit, they sell a "deluxe kit"
quote from item description for fit kit:
This is the kit that our customers have been asking about for a long time, and it's here. BROTHERS deluxe "at the wheel" disc brake kit is not only a disc conversion but is also a front end rebuild/upgrade. It fits 1/2 ton trucks only. This kit includes: 2 1/4" drop spindles, upper & lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rods, adjusting sleeves, brake hoses, wheel bearings, seals, bolts, dust caps, calipers, pads, custom 6 lug rotors and detailed instructions. Kit is also available with stock height spindles.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #41
custom67gmc

price on front end kit is 815$
Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #42
jlive68

disk brks

ttt for me.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 PM   #43
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
OT - I think the insult was unnecessary,
Care to explain why I should be concerned with what YOU think.
Quote:
but there are certain posts I can't read on the forum because reading all caps hurts my eyes and it looks like a person is screaming at me.
Sounds like a short-coming on YOUR part ... simply solution ... don't read them.
Quote:
he gets so much flak from everyone is because he types in caps and when you type in caps, a joke or fun "poke" turns into a flat-out insult.
He only gets "flak" from folks that haven't been here that long and don't know the full story.
Quote:
I wish I had a filter that would convert everything to lowercase -
So do I ...
Quote:
it's bad nettiquette to type in all capital letters.
... and if some of you "newer" folks here would do some research, or simply ASK SOMEONE why they are typing this way before saying such rude things then you would have already known why Junkyard John types in CAPS. Just ask JYJ why he types in ALL CAPS ... it has absolutey NOTHING to do with yelling or 'net ettiquette.

I also think it absolutely hilarious how some join a forum, appoint themselves All Knowing Great Honored Forum Moderator and immediately begin to educate everyone else on what is "right" and what is "wrong." We have hearded all before ... believe me, as smart as you may think you are for pointing it out, your not the first.

P.S. Don't make assumptions ... you should already know what they say about that.

Last edited by Shane; 04-25-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #44
biglou55

Talking

ok. i will bite J.Y.J Why do you type in caps. I don.t have a problem reading your posts. and it is probably none of my business. (just curious.) some of the stuff posted on here is very insightful. some of it is pure b/s. I have been a mech. on and off for forty years but i don.t presume to know everything. I offer my opinion when i think i t will help. whether some people agree or disagree with me is irrelavent. I enjoy this board and the people on it very much. I am old enough to remember these trucks the first time around for them.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #45
Davy

[QUOTE=Shane]...or simply ASK SOMEONE why they are typing this way before saying such rude things then you would have already known why Junkyard John types in CAPS. Just ask JYJ why he types in ALL CAPS ...

O.K......I'll ask. Why does JYJ type in all caps?

Who has the "short-coming"? The internet world that understands the proper use of Caps, or the guy that doesn't?

How will we know if JYJ really is yelling or trying to EMPHASIZE his point ?

Sorry CJJ67, I don't have any answers to your original questions, but TTT for ya.

Looking for NOS items for my CST restoration.

Last edited by Davy; 04-25-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #46
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Care to explain why I should be concerned with what YOU think.

Sounds like a short-coming on YOUR part ... simply solution ... don't read them.

He only gets "flak" from folks that haven't been here that long and don't know the full story.

So do I ...

... and if some of you "newer" folks here would do some research, or simply ASK SOMEONE why they are typing this way before saying such rude things then you would have already known why Junkyard John types in CAPS. Just ask JYJ why he types in ALL CAPS ... it has absolutey NOTHING to do with yelling or 'net ettiquette.

I also think it absolutely hilarious how some join a forum, appoint themselves All Knowing Great Honored Forum Moderator and immediately begin to educate everyone else on what is "right" and what is "wrong." We have hearded all before ... believe me, as smart as you may think you are for pointing it out, your not the first.

P.S. Don't make assumptions ... you should already know what they say about that.
Shane: I'll answer your questions in sake of the great information in the post.

If you don't care what I think, Take your own advice: don't read it and don't respond.

I read his posts becaues I care about him and what he has to share and say. Now I have an opportunity to share proper nettiquette with him and, as a caring person, I choose to do so. If your friend has a booger in his nose, would you tell him about it, or let him walk around and look like an ass? Sounds like you fall into the latter category.

I'm sharing another perspective with him. Communication is the basis of a forum, and knowing how to best communicate with others serves not only the person typing, but everyone who attempts to learn or share with that person.

As for the rest of it, your attitude needs some work, bud. I did nothing to attack anyone directly here, but you seem to see it fit to attack me to no end, insinuating I'm some kind of know-it-all.

That's the exact attitude that drives people away and makes others feel unwelcome to share. If I knew you were going to be such a prick towards me for being a "newbie" and sharing my thoughts, I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Why the hell do so many of the veterans around here seem to think it's fit to attack people who've only been here for a couple of months?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #47
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Shane: I'll answer your questions in sake of the great information in the post.

If you don't care what I think, Take your own advice: don't read it and don't respond.
I responded to YOUR post AFTER you got all pissy ... but my original post was NOT aimed at you ... you assumed it was. Remember that "assumption" thing?

Quote:
I read his posts becaues I care about him and what he has to share and say. Now I have an opportunity to share proper nettiquette with him and, as a caring person, I choose to do so.
JYJ knows what typing in all caps means and like a lot of us here, he could give a big rat's ass about Internet Etiquette. He has his reasons for typing in all caps.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe people don't want you to SHARE your knowledge with them? If they don't ask, then chances are they don't want to hear your thoughts, opinions, and input on the subject.

Quote:
If your friend has a booger in his nose, would you tell him about it, or let him walk around and look like an ass?
I will take the "look like an ass" option ... it's much more fun that way. It also gives me something to laugh at.

Kinda like how I am laughing at you right now ... for "looking like an ass."

Quote:
Sounds like you fall into the latter category.
Probably ... but the difference in you and I is that I just don't give a damn what you think about me.

Quote:
I'm sharing another perspective with him. Communication is the basis of a forum, and knowing how to best communicate with others serves not only the person typing, but everyone who attempts to learn or share with that person.
You're sharing YOUR interpretation of what you think communication should be ... not everyone feels the same as you, as surprising as this might be to you and your ego.

You call it "sharing" ... I call it "unwanted input" ... notice the word "unwanted."

Quote:
As for the rest of it, your attitude needs some work, bud.
I've been told that before ... but thanks for your concern.

Quote:
I did nothing to attack anyone directly here, but you seem to see it fit to attack me to no end,
I attacked you? Go back and re-read my post about "being an ass hole" ... it wasn't aimed at you, now was it?

Quote:
insinuating I'm some kind of know-it-all.
If the shoe fits ....

Quote:
That's the exact attitude that drives people away and makes others feel unwelcome to share. If I knew you were going to be such a prick towards me for being a "newbie" and sharing my thoughts, I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.
You are a touchy little fella, huh? A sense of humor will go along way in the way of making "new" friends. Don't take things so seriously and maybe you won't have such a tough time making new friends .... noob.

Quote:
Why the hell do so many of the veterans around here seem to think it's fit to attack people who've only been here for a couple of months?
Cause every once in a while folks like you come along and act like "know it all PRICKS" ... (you chose to start the name-calling ... not me).

Good Day.

P.S. Junkyard John types in all caps because he has a vision problem and it makes it easier for him to see what he is typing.

Last edited by Shane; 04-25-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #48
ROBBY WHITE
ZOIE AND ZACK

Sorry I Had To Jump On This Caps Thing I Own A Moving Company And Type Paperwork All Day Every Day And I Use All Caps Have Been For 15 Years. I Have Been Told Its Not Good To Do This On The Net For Various Reasons, But When You Been Doing Something 15 Years Its Hard To Stop Just Because It Offends Some People. My Eyesite Is Fine And If I Need To Make A Point Or Yell At Someone I Have A Bold Key For That Or Exclamation Point. No I'm Not Trying To Be A A$$ Just Hard To Change After 15 Years. Just My 2 Cents
02 1/2 SUBURBAN
67 GMC 1/2 TON LONGBED
05 AVALANCHE
ROBBY WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #49
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
I responded to YOUR post AFTER you got all pissy ... but my original post was NOT aimed at you ... you assumed it was. Remember that "assumption" thing?
Actually, you're assuming, pal. You quite clearly aimed your attack at screamin' c10, who is also new around here (and normally a really cool guy who's helped meseveral times). I NEVER assumed you aimed it at me, I simply stated that it's childish for you to jump in and call someone else an asshole without regard. He attacked John because he, like me and other new people, it's hard to understand what he's saying with the all caps and punctuation. I pointed this out in a tasteful manner and you jumped my ass! WTF?

Quote:

JYJ knows what typing in all caps means and like a lot of us here, he could give a big rat's ass about Internet Etiquette. He has his reasons for typing in all caps.
So be it - I pointed out that his typing in caps is probably a major contributing factor in why screamin_c10 thought he was being attacked and argued with. Us new people aren't used to that - and instead of realizing that, you took it upon yourself to call him an asshole and wash your hands of the situation. The adult thing to do would be attempting to mediate between the two of them rather than agitate the situation.

But only if you actually care about people getting along at the forum.

Quote:
Did you ever stop and think that maybe people don't want you to SHARE your knowledge with them? If they don't ask, then chances are they don't want to hear your thoughts, opinions, and input on the subject.
If that's the case, with this situation, it's not YOUR place to tell me that. It's JYJ's place. Let the man speak for himself.

Quote:
I will take the "look like an ass" option ... it's much more fun that way. It also gives me something to laugh at. Kinda like how I am laughing at you right now ... for "looking like an ass."
If you weren't joking, that would say a lot about the kinda person you are.

Quote:
You're sharing YOUR interpretation of what you think communication should be ... not everyone feels the same as you, as surprising as this might be to you and your ego.
No ego here, bud. And I've been moderating forums and BBS' (for those of you old enough to remember them) since I was in the single digits of age...I'm just sharing my experience of time tested ways to generally keep things civil.

Quote:
You call it "sharing" ... I call it "unwanted input" ... notice the word "unwanted."
Return to your previous suggestion: You don't like it, don't read it. And don't bother to respond.

Quote:
I attacked you? Go back and re-read my post about "being an ass hole" ... it wasn't aimed at you, now was it?
I already got that, genius. Now you're assuming I've got a 2-digit IQ? Pffft. You attacked me in this post.

Quote:
You are a touchy little fella, huh? A sense of humor will go along way in the way of making "new" friends. Don't take things so seriously and maybe you won't have such a tough time making new friends .... noob.
I have a wonderful sense of humor. I've made several friends here. I'm not sensitive (thick skinned actually), but I have a low tolerance for people bashing newbies, not bothering to understand what it's like to be the new guy around and people slinging around insults without cause or merit. It's stupid, childish, and I think we're all adult enough to be past that.

Quote:
Cause every once in a while folks like you come along and act like "know it all PRICKS" ... (you chose to start the name-calling ... not me).
Actually, again, you started the namecalling by calling screamin_c10 and asshole....

Quote:
P.S. Junkyard John types in all caps because he has a vision problem and it makes it easier for him to see what he is typing.
So be it. If you would have simply said this in the very beginning instead of calling people names, none of these nonsense posts would have ever occured.

I hope you recognize that.

As for the situation at hand, I'm done.

Last edited by shifty; 04-25-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #50
Shane
Account Suspended

Have I pissed you off yet? I sure hope so.