The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #26
meathead95
computer illiterate

i have full coverage and 9 policies with state farme for the last 12 yrs they take pretty good care of me so far when i got the policy they asked me the value od it and we set it at 10k ill call you tomorrow tim
thanks
keith
Old 06-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #27
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberty
Since you didn't have it painted yet and probably don't have it insured at a set dollar figure yet, they will almost assuredly try to stick it to you as far as what your truck is worth. The worse problem with that is if they declare your truck totaled and if they give you $2825 for it your probably not going to get the option of keeping the truck also. I'm not sure on this last part as it probably depends on the insurance company. Most insurance companies will try every trick in the book to screw a person over on an old car or truck when it comes time to pay out.
Agreed they will probably try to do this.

What you can do will depend on your state.

Get a lawyer because the insurance company is going to try to screw you anyway possible.

If you still want to keep your truck refuse to let them buy it for "total" price. Just because a vehicle is totaled doesnt mean they get to have it when they cut a check for it. I would tell them their customer broke it so he bought it for your asking price. If they dont want to buy it they can pay to fix it. While your at it I would try to also collect for loss of use on the truck and I would store the truck at a friends house and charge storage fees (15 a day).
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #28
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Keith, another good contact to get ahold of for NOS parts would be that vendor in Arizona Ricks pickup parts. They do a lot of show quality restorations for customers, and they are finicky about correct parts.

I guess they must be banned because their name came out all ***** when I posted.

Last edited by dtlilly; 06-08-2005 at 12:48 AM.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:47 AM   #29
laplander

I had a similar incident several months ago, and I also have State Farm. A hail storm came thru here that had SOFTBALL sized chuncks raining down. The adjuster took one look at my 72 and told me it was totaled, and wanted to give me 800.00. I told him to look a little closer at the policy and see what the stated value was. To make a week long ordeal short, they cut me the check for the stated value minus the 138.00 I had to pay them for the remains ( with new BBC and th4000) , so while it was a pain, it all worked out in the end. Just go in there with pics of comparable trucks and whatever receipts you have and you should be o.k..

Nik
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #30
C10 Club Tennessee

Hey Keith,

What type of car was it? I got the info you asked me for I just want to make sure it's the same. Do you have the officer's name? If if happened in Murfreesboro I know a few officers down there and could probably talk to them for you. Let me know this stuff

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #31
meathead95
computer illiterate

bryan i pm'ed you the info on the car. I appreciate all the kind words and advice but i really need someone to step up and price all of these parts so i can give it to the insurance adjuster
thanks
keith
Old 06-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #32
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Keith, one more thing I just thought of - I have a cousin that's a Tennessee State Trooper out of Murfreesboro. I'll probably being seeing him this weekend as we have a family reunion to attend on Saturday. If there is anything you need me to ask him, or if this happened in his area let me know if you need any help. Most state troopers can be an a$$ but my cousin isn't one of them like that. If I can help bro' let me know.
Robert
'70 C-10 - My Grandfather bought it new - original un-restored
Roberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #33
meathead95
computer illiterate

roberty ill pm you
Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #34
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

I just called my cousin and gave him the details. Sent you a PM about it Keith.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #35
pjmoreland

Here's an nos door on ebay. Check out the guy's other listings too. He has some other nos stuff listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=WDVW
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #36
meathead95
computer illiterate

link didnt work thanks for the effort though.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #37
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander
To make a week long ordeal short, they cut me the check for the stated value minus the 138.00 I had to pay them for the remains Nik
you didnt have to give them 138 bucks it was your truck not theres !!
most people dont know this but you are paying inc on the truck/car/whatever and not for them to own it lol its like this lets say you house burns down they sure as hell dont want to come and collect it now do thay ? they do not and sould never own your truck/car/whatever , if they own it why are you paying inc on it ? the only reason they want you truck/car/whatever is so they can recoop sum of the bucks they just gave you
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #38
meathead95
computer illiterate

they told me if they total it i can keep it and it wont affect the title since it is more than 10 yrs old
Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #39
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead95
they told me if they total it i can keep it and it wont affect the title since it is more than 10 yrs old

Is your insurance going to have to pay? Unless the person who hit you doesn't have any insurance (that's what uninsured motorist coverage is for), I'd wait and see if I couldn't make whoever hit you's insurance company pay up.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #40
moneyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnblazerk5
you didnt have to give them 138 bucks it was your truck not theres !!
most people dont know this but you are paying inc on the truck/car/whatever and not for them to own it lol its like this lets say you house burns down they sure as hell dont want to come and collect it now do thay ? they do not and sould never own your truck/car/whatever , if they own it why are you paying inc on it ? the only reason they want you truck/car/whatever is so they can recoop sum of the bucks they just gave you
Well now that just isn't correct.

If they TOTAL a vehicle, they pay you an agreed price and then they own the vehicle. They then sell the vehicle for salvage. You then take the money and either buy a replacement vehicle, or do whatever you want with the money.

If they TOTAL a vehicle, and you choose to keep the vehicle, they pay you the agreed amount - salvage value. Again you can do whatever you want with the money you receive.

Either way the insurance company is out the same amount of money.
You don't receive the value of the vehicle PLUS the vehicle.

Now if a vehicle isn't totaled, they pay the cost of repairs less any deductible or betterment. Betterment is if you had a 10 year old faded scratched paint job and due to body damage the car needs to be repainted, your vehicle would be worth more after it is repaired so they can deduct a percentage of the repair costs due to this.

It pays to know what your policy covers, I felt like I got bent over because of this betterment clause. I HIGHLY recommend everyone check their polcicies and make sure it covers what you want it to cover.

Hope this info helps someone
Chris
Old 06-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #41
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyguru
Well now that just isn't correct.

If they TOTAL a vehicle, they pay you an agreed price and then they own the vehicle. They then sell the vehicle for salvage. You then take the money and either buy a replacement vehicle, or do whatever you want with the money.

If they TOTAL a vehicle, and you choose to keep the vehicle, they pay you the agreed amount - salvage value. Again you can do whatever you want with the money you receive.

Either way the insurance company is out the same amount of money.
You don't receive the value of the vehicle PLUS the vehicle.

Now if a vehicle isn't totaled, they pay the cost of repairs less any deductible or betterment. Betterment is if you had a 10 year old faded scratched paint job and due to body damage the car needs to be repainted, your vehicle would be worth more after it is repaired so they can deduct a percentage of the repair costs due to this.

It pays to know what your policy covers, I felt like I got bent over because of this betterment clause. I HIGHLY recommend everyone check their polcicies and make sure it covers what you want it to cover.

Hope this info helps someone
Chris

my blazer has been totaled 2 times and they wanted to take it i wouldnt let them and they didnt deduct anything and i still got the thing

"Either way the insurance company is out the same amount of money.
You don't receive the value of the vehicle PLUS the vehicle"

i have 3 differant times, 2 differant inc companys 2 on other peoples ,1 on mine , 2 on the blazer,in the last 8 years and first one when i was workin with a lawer back 20 years ago . the lawer was the one that told me about it , he told me to ask if they have that ,they get the car after they payed me in writing, and they didnt have it in there so i got the $$ and the car/truck

and yes everybody needs to cheek there policys and see what it says in there , dont take there word for it make them show ya in writing

i am not bashing anybody in anyway or form i just telling ya what happind to me
Old 06-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #42
pjmoreland

I just noticed that they guy with the NOS parts on ebay is on the board and has a thread in the parts forum:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=158284

Sorry about the bad link. It worked earlier. Not sure what happened.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #43
meathead95
computer illiterate

those are passenger side i need drivers side
Old 06-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #44
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Hi Keith,
I talked with my cousin yesterday (the Tennessee state trooper) and he said that he called you but just got an answering machine. Give him a call when you get a chance. PM me if you need his phone #.
Robert
Old 06-13-2005, 12:12 AM   #45
pjmoreland

The nos SWB fleetside bedside is for a driver side:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #46
meathead95
computer illiterate

roberty, I returned his call he never called back again. I didnt want to bug him.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:40 AM   #47
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Go ahead and call him again. I forgot to ask him what hours he's working.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #48
meathead95
computer illiterate

man i love the connections available through this board. the locals gave me such a run around i ended up cussing out the lady in the sheriffs office (it wasnt pretty) so then yesterday (monday 6/14) i left their at 4pm and called roberty's cousin the trooper and explained what lazy worthless people the local police have been and he took all the info and said he was going to try and unscrew it up. anyway he calls back at 10:30 pm and says he arrested the illegal mexican b@stard and was transporting him to jail as well as having his car towed to the impound lot. awesome huh! a million thanks to ROBERTY!
thanks
keith
Old 06-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #49
tnblazerk5
User #12137

aint this board cool or what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 AM   #50
krue
Designated A-hole!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote