The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #26
static22

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint
No it never did this with the old engine.. It fired right up. no gas needed..
and no it does not usually fire.. it just turns over and eventually fires.
It sounds like it could be electrical. Maybe when you were putting all the componets back on and wiring them back up you didn't get a wire crimped well or one is not making good contact until the engine warms up and creates a better contact by causing the metal or wire to swell slightly. Has it done this from the first time you started the new motor? It may take a little while to find but just start ruling out things one at a time. How "new" is the motor?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #27
woody96

Well, I replaced the ignition module (the last time this did this...I determined I was getting gas, but no spark....); and so far this fixed the problem.....
Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 AM   #28
squint

No it started a while after i put in the engine.. the engine is brand new.. ( 8 months old ) .. I am going to try the ignition module this weekend if i have time.. Its only $50..
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #29
woody96

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint
No it started a while after i put in the engine.. the engine is brand new.. ( 8 months old ) .. I am going to try the ignition module this weekend if i have time.. Its only $50..
Check carquest...got mine for $22......
Old 10-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #30
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

Usually when the module goes, it goes all the way and you can't get it started at all. But, they do flakey things some times.

A quick way to tell if it is the module or anything electrical is to pull a spark plug. Connect it back to the wire and ground the electrode to the block and have someone turn it over. If you see a spark, you are good. You can also hook up a timing light if you have one to see if your are getting spark.

If you are seeing spark, I would guess everything electrical is ok. My burb had the same problems you have until I rebuilt the quadrajet. Maybe something is clogged or out of adjustment.
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #31
woody96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby
Usually when the module goes, it goes all the way and you can't get it started at all. But, they do flakey things some times.

A quick way to tell if it is the module or anything electrical is to pull a spark plug. Connect it back to the wire and ground the electrode to the block and have someone turn it over. If you see a spark, you are good. You can also hook up a timing light if you have one to see if your are getting spark.

If you are seeing spark, I would guess everything electrical is ok. My burb had the same problems you have until I rebuilt the quadrajet. Maybe something is clogged or out of adjustment.
Tried this and got no spark.....hence, changed out the module...so far, so good.....
Old 10-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #32
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody96
Check carquest...got mine for $22......
Im sure thats US $$.. .. + Shipping.. I doubt it would be less than $50.. heh.. Thats the only bad thing about living in Canada.. I pretty much have to suffer..
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #33
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby

Sweet.. thanks for the advice.. I have a timing light.. I will hook it up tomorrow..
Old 10-14-2005, 11:07 PM   #34
Matt_305

First with my truck (although it is the straight 6 with the 2bbl rochester) I have to pump the gas many times saaaaaay 10? because the pumps bad, fires right up after that though. Secondly, if the starter was off I believe gm starters need shimmed to line up properly? Don't know if that would effect your problem or not, it just made the one in my brothers pontiac (85 parisienne 305) make a slightly more sharp sound upon start up. Doubt any of this will help but just throwing ideas out there.

Matt

Last edited by Matt_305; 10-14-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Matt_305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:15 AM   #35
ureckme
ureckmefixit2@cox.net

Re: Truck does not start well..?

May be the choke need to be leaned out a little?
Crower Custom Grind .462in .486ex
Dyno Test 422hp @ 5600
And it's got a Holley
3.73 Gears
12 Bolt 3.73 w/Posi
700R4 Going In
I'm a Body Man So There!
That's why it's not painted
ureckme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:40 AM   #36
squint

Re: Truck does not start well..?

ya.. might be the need to be leaned out. .. Im pretty sure the pump is fine..

I wish try yout guys' ideas tonight though.