The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #26
oteixeira

Re: Diesels in '67-'72's.

Ok,

Since I been asked more then once here are my sources, now don't buy em out cause I am still saving scheckles to get the motor.

Engine: dieseldepo (ebay ID), this guy is in Georgia and is good, he will sell it to you outright or you can buy one through and auction, he has a 90 day "it'll run" garuntee on em.

Motor Mounts: http://www.screaminseeman.com/home.php

Master for the no vacuum engine: 73-87 Hydroboost and lines (the PS on the engine you buy will have the hookup for the lines if you ask)

Front Brakes: Hydros do not like drums, so figure out a way to get either 71-72 discs on there, or swap the whole crossmember with a newer Chevy truck.

For all my reasearch, this is what you owe me ----> lol

Enjoy, and again, don't go stealin my parts!

Orlando
Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #27
cell

thanks otexeira - this part of the project is still a ways off for me. I am going to finish rebuilding my inline 6 gasser and run that for a while, then do a cross member (disc brake) swap a few months after that, and then finally do the diesel swap after that. Probably about a year from now.
cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #28
buildin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira
Ok,

Since I been asked more then once here are my sources, now don't buy em out cause I am still saving scheckles to get the motor.

Engine: dieseldepo (ebay ID), this guy is in Georgia and is good, he will sell it to you outright or you can buy one through and auction, he has a 90 day "it'll run" garuntee on em.

Motor Mounts: http://www.screaminseeman.com/home.php

Master for the no vacuum engine: 73-87 Hydroboost and lines (the PS on the engine you buy will have the hookup for the lines if you ask)

Front Brakes: Hydros do not like drums, so figure out a way to get either 71-72 discs on there, or swap the whole crossmember with a newer Chevy truck.

For all my reasearch, this is what you owe me ----> lol

Enjoy, and again, don't go stealin my parts!

Orlando

Thanks alot for the info. You dont have to worry about me stealing any of your parts...im still in the research part of this, and havent decided for sure to do this...might just build me a small block instead. But i am a huge cummins fan and i am in tech school right now for diesel tech, so im definately not ruling out the possibility. I just found a 4bt on ebay, probably the same place you are talking about. Here is the link.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-BT-...spagenameZWDVW

Does this sound like a fair price for a 4bt???

Thanks again for the info.

Adam

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4
Reg. Cab
Long Bed
LBZ Duramax
Allison 6sp

1970 Chevy C/10
Short Bed
buildin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
oteixeira

That is the guy I am talking about, and while I don't think the price is fair (his researve is 2600) it is what they sell for, so I have to deal!

Orlando
Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #30
buildin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira
That is the guy I am talking about, and while I don't think the price is fair (his researve is 2600) it is what they sell for, so I have to deal!

Orlando
10-4 Thanks

Adam

Reg. Cab
Long Bed
LBZ Duramax
Allison 6sp

1970 Chevy C/10
Short Bed
Old 01-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #31
smokekiki
Mike

Does anyone know the length of the 6bt, and the 4bt?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #32
oteixeira

Smoke,

The 4BT dimensions are in the description of that ebay link (illustrated even). I have no idea on the 6BT, but I am sure you can search google for it, and I know it fits into a full size truck, just never seen it done in our style.

Orlando
Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #33
veedublu

Just measured my 6BT... 33 1/2" from back of block to front of crank pulley. Then add for the bellhousing adapter (mine is 2 1/2", but if you have an early auto or Getrag 5 speed, it is thinner, not sure about the TH400 adapters).

They are a snug fit, but tuck nicely into the doghouse of the firewall.

I don't have the front clip on mine, otherwise I'd post pictures

John
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #34
buildin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedublu
Just measured my 6BT... 33 1/2" from back of block to front of crank pulley. Then add for the bellhousing adapter (mine is 2 1/2", but if you have an early auto or Getrag 5 speed, it is thinner, not sure about the TH400 adapters).

They are a snug fit, but tuck nicely into the doghouse of the firewall.

I don't have the front clip on mine, otherwise I'd post pictures

John

When you get it together, will you please post some pics for me??? That was my original plan for a project, and i am still thinking about doing it in the future. Could i get some more info?? Most guys i have talked to say that i will have to run a 1 1/2" BL for the valve cover to clear the firewall. Is this true? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Reg. Cab
Long Bed
LBZ Duramax
Allison 6sp

1970 Chevy C/10
Short Bed
Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #35
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
Check www.peninsuarmarine.com to learn more on it.
I'm sure you meant: http://www.peninsularengine.com/

Your link didn't work so I went searching. I will be passing on the info to a buddy with a 6.5TD...
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 AM   #36
veedublu

Adam,

I will certainly post some pics when it's done, here's a teaser for now:

http://www.hayseedmotorsports.com/mychev.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't touched that truck for almost 2 years now... lack of money for stuff like new weatherstripping, etc. Then I got sidetracked by other projects (500ci Cadillac into '79 Toyota 4x4, and now the '72 shortbed hotrod project with another 500ci engine). Slowly building ambition though

I can't answer any questions about whether a body lift is necessary... I cheated and used a Dodge frame. I wasn't sure if the Chev frame was up to handling the weight, stress, and vibration of the diesel, and the Dodge frame already had all the goodies on it (beefy axles, springs matched to the weight of the Cummins, etc). Had to move the engine back, and since I swapped to a 6 speed I needed to build a new crossmember. My buddies razz me quite a bit about disabling a good truck by taking the body off (it was a decent, driveable truck when I started), but I don't have to explain to you guys how much higher quality these old Chev bodies are (the Dodge cab was just plain cheesy). I can tell you the cab on my orange truck is mounted as close to the frame as I could, less than an inch in a few spots, but of course the Dodge frame is shaped differently than ours.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin72
When you get it together, will you please post some pics for me??? That was my original plan for a project, and i am still thinking about doing it in the future. Could i get some more info?? Most guys i have talked to say that i will have to run a 1 1/2" BL for the valve cover to clear the firewall. Is this true? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Adam
Old 01-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #37
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Avoid the GM diesels like the plague!!!! The 6.5 is a better engine than the 6.2...but its kinda hard to "polish a turd"!!!! Most mechanics wont even work on them unless they have to!! There is a reason they just about give them away on ebay and trader. As mentioned above....if you must do a diesel....the 12 valve Cummins is the best way to go. I believe that is pre-1998. I was planning on putting one in my latest 72 Suburban project...but ran up on an excellent deal on a donor Suburban with a throttle body and 700R-4 so I went with that instead. I plan on doing either a 67-72 dually or if I can find one of those 67-72 military/forestry crew cabs I am going to put a 12v Cummins in it!!!

For more diesel information go to the Turbo Diesel Registry (TDR)

Anyone have a lead on one of those 67-72 crew cabs????
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #38
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:

Holy Shiznit Batman, We need more pic's of those rigs
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #39
'71c204x4454
'71k204x4454

I was doing a search on Eaton rear axle and came across the Cummins b5.9 thought some of you would be interested. Said the Eaton rear axle lasted 500,000 miles! http://users.frii.com/cybrrngr/coolwheels/ronsavage/
Old 01-15-2006, 01:41 AM   #40
buildin72

Quote:
Adam,

http://www.hayseedmotorsports.com/mychev.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't touched that truck for almost 2 years now... lack of money for stuff like new weatherstripping, etc. Then I got sidetracked by other projects (500ci Cadillac into '79 Toyota 4x4, and now the '72 shortbed hotrod project with another 500ci engine). Slowly building ambition though

I can't answer any questions about whether a body lift is necessary... I cheated and used a Dodge frame. I wasn't sure if the Chev frame was up to handling the weight, stress, and vibration of the diesel, and the Dodge frame already had all the goodies on it (beefy axles, springs matched to the weight of the Cummins, etc). Had to move the engine back, and since I swapped to a 6 speed I needed to build a new crossmember. My buddies razz me quite a bit about disabling a good truck by taking the body off (it was a decent, driveable truck when I started), but I don't have to explain to you guys how much higher quality these old Chev bodies are (the Dodge cab was just plain cheesy). I can tell you the cab on my orange truck is mounted as close to the frame as I could, less than an inch in a few spots, but of course the Dodge frame is shaped differently than ours.

John

John...I gotta hand it to ya. You are gonna have one SWEET ride there, once it is all together!!! I love the ORANGE. That is the same color i'm gonna be sprayin my C/10 SWB. I like how you color coded the wheels to match the paint. Cant say that i have seen that before, and it definatly sets off the paint job on the truck, and catches your eye.

You without a doubt have me thinkin'..... Cant wait to see the finished product! Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks and good luck with it coming together!!!

Adam

Reg. Cab
Long Bed
LBZ Duramax
Allison 6sp

1970 Chevy C/10
Short Bed
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #41
Russell
Professional Grade

Me and a CK5 forum member just got his crewcab driveable as a diesel

It is a 6.2 with a Banks turbo kit installed on it. We have the truck running with no exhaust, just a 3 foot length of pipe off the turbo, and I must say, I'm impressed.

All I ever hear about the 6.2 / 6.5 diesels is about how big of a dog they are, and how terrible they are etc. That TD 6.2 is just as quick, if not a bit quicker than most 350s I've driven. That, and running the open exhaust, it actually sounds like a 350 with a set of Aerochamber mufflers.

We took it for a spin, and I was nothing but impressed with it, esspecially after hearing all the negativity that everyone has.

When / if it blows a headgasket, then maybe I'll start to agree, but till then, much like the 305, my opinion differs from the general opinion
Old 01-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #42
bojoe

I want to do something a little bit different with a air brake equipped C-60. Put a Eaton 3.55 or so single axle, a more modern front axle, with 22.5 aluminum wheels, and throw in a 466 John Deere engine with a Eaton 6106 transmission. I wanted to do that with the '71 I have now, but putting air brakes on it would prove to be a headache. I will just leave the one I have alone and let the 427 push it down the road.
  • 1981 Cadillac Deville 6.0/368cid
  • 2003 Chevrolet Suburban(wife's ride)
  • 2007 Peterbilt 379/How I make money
  • More old John Deere tractors than I know what to do with.
bojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #43
buildin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Me and a CK5 forum member just got his crewcab driveable as a diesel

It is a 6.2 with a Banks turbo kit installed on it. We have the truck running with no exhaust, just a 3 foot length of pipe off the turbo, and I must say, I'm impressed.

All I ever hear about the 6.2 / 6.5 diesels is about how big of a dog they are, and how terrible they are etc. That TD 6.2 is just as quick, if not a bit quicker than most 350s I've driven. That, and running the open exhaust, it actually sounds like a 350 with a set of Aerochamber mufflers.

We took it for a spin, and I was nothing but impressed with it, esspecially after hearing all the negativity that everyone has.

When / if it blows a headgasket, then maybe I'll start to agree, but till then, much like the 305, my opinion differs from the general opinion

Read my above post on the first page of this thread about what I would run if it had to be a GM diesel, and what i would do to it!! SO you say she runs pretty good? Got any guages hooked up to it yet....just wondering what kind of boost your pushin?

Adam

Reg. Cab
Long Bed
LBZ Duramax
Allison 6sp

1970 Chevy C/10
Short Bed
Old 01-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #44
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin72
Read my above post on the first page of this thread about what I would run if it had to be a GM diesel, and what i would do to it!! SO you say she runs pretty good? Got any guages hooked up to it yet....just wondering what kind of boost your pushin?

Adam

Running about 8 psi of boost at WOT, about 5 on a moderate acceleration, and about 2 while cruising 50 mph

Only beef I've got with the diesel is that it feels like it is wound out at 50 mph already. Really needs an overdrive transmission!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #45
TP from Cntl PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojoe
I want to do something a little bit different with a air brake equipped C-60. Put a Eaton 3.55 or so single axle, a more modern front axle, with 22.5 aluminum wheels, and throw in a 466 John Deere engine with a Eaton 6106 transmission. I wanted to do that with the '71 I have now, but putting air brakes on it would prove to be a headache. I will just leave the one I have alone and let the 427 push it down the road.
I agree that a 466T Deere is a Good engine, but if I had a choice I'd go with a IH DTI-466 Older version with an inline pump will "Git'r Done"

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #46
jracca

I plan to swap a 4bt into my 71 3/4 ton 4x4, I purchased the engine in a step van, complete and running, I drove it home. The step van is a 1979 Chevrolet P30 with a gruman aluminum body. It has a th400 but I'm not sure if I want to use it or go with the sm465 manual. I have a np205 transfer case and gear vendors overdrive.

The 4bt is governed at 2500 rpm I believe and is rated for 105hp and 360 lb-ft of torque. It is fairly tall, but width and length wise is about the same size as the 350 in the truck now when you account for all the turbo piping, etc. I believe it weighs in about 100 pounds heavier than a v8 but no heavier than the straight 6 engines that some trucks came with.
jracca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:11 AM   #47
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak
Avoid the GM diesels like the plague!!!! The 6.5 is a better engine than the 6.2...but its kinda hard to "polish a turd"!!!! Most mechanics wont even work on them unless they have to!! There is a reason they just about give them away on ebay and trader
You don`t know much about what you`re talking about,apparently.You`re right,Cummins builds a great diesel.The reason the GM diesels are all over is because they have been in production for 24 years now in more vehicles than you can imagine.I have been running them since the 80s when Dodge didn`t have a clue.I`ve had over 1/4 million trouble-free miles out of my trucks including original glowplugs,injectors,and injector pumps.They are the economical powerplant they were designed to be.They weren`t designed to be high horsepower,but what was in`82.I roll along @75 mph getting 22 mpg all day long in my`91 Suburban w/35" tires.It has a 6.2.If anything,the 6.2 and first two year 6.5TDs(92/93)are better than the later EFI models.I have a MFI 6.5TD that puts out over 500 ft/lbs and 300 hp of reliable power.Jamie Avante(Diesel Depot)in Sanderson,GA is a great source of knowledge,parts,complete used,and custom-built engines.
Thanks 69TowRig,I fixed it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-16-2006 at 01:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #48
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
when Dodge didn`t have a clue
Actually, Dodge used a small Mitsubishi (IIRC) diesel in the late 70's in some of their fullsizes, but they are not too common at all these days (and probably when new I imagine).
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:04 AM   #49
special-K
Special Order

They had a naturally aspired Perkins in`78.No one bought them and they disappeared.I`ve only seen one in a magazine article and by the time the mag was on sale,they were out of production.The mag said they were waay underpowered.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #50
cell

Where did you wind up finding your step van? That's the one remaining challenge for me... I'm in Austin, and am willing to drive pretty much anywhere in texas.
cell is offline   Reply With Quote