The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #26
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

Re: Neighbors....

i can relate .. i live in a small apt complex of about 10 units ...
The 1st week i had my truck .. my landlady asked me if there was something wrong with the tailpipe on my truck.. i just grinned and told her they were glasspacks ...

i fire it up early in the morning ...around 4:30 ...
My neighbors have been really cool and never complained about it waking them up ... maybe there just heavy sleepers ...

personally i think its time to get some real mufflers

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #27
68Stepbed

I always try to be considerate to neighbors. A couple years ago though, it had snowed and iced the roads over. I didn't drive my truck while it was bad, but most of the roads were clear. There was a spot that stayed shaded by a neighbors big oak tree and the ice wouldn't melt even in 50 degee temps. On my way home one day, I drove over the icey spot about 10mph and when my rear tire went over it, I tromped on it. When the tire hit the pavement already spinning, it spun for a good 60 or 70 feet. Right after I started spinning, I happened to turn my head and see a girl standing in the yard talking on the phone. I could just hear how the conversation went at that moment,
person on the other end:"what was that noise?"
Girl in the yard:"Just some stupid redneck showing off in his truck."

I would try being considerate until they start getting rude about it.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #28
hotrodhomi

I would not do anything to make it louder if you have nice paint. It's not worth it. In a related story, I have had the cops called on me before because I drove by a guys house at 0700 with my motorcycle. On day he followed me home to yell at me. The next day the cops followed me home. The cops told me to tell the guy to go FCuK himself. I told them I allready did.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #29
pjmoreland

My in-laws live in a neighborhood that has a home owners association that doesn't allow cars to be parked on the street. When we go to visit them, there's nowhere to park except for on the street. Our car has been egged four times in the last 6 years we've gone to visit them. They always egg it after it has been parked there exactly a week. It's too consistent to be kids doing it. It's probably some grumpy old neat-freak neighbor. I'm tempted to sleep in the car with a video camera and catch them in the act. Why can't they just come talk to us? At least you just got a note.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #30
farside847

Here and I thoughtI was posting a stupid pic that noone would respond to. Guess everyone has been on one side or another.

I dont think there really is anything I can do. My mufflers are not the loud kind and I still run manifolds, not headers. New ones would not make it any quieter. The only thing that would bring down the volume would be to convert to single exhaust, and that isnt happening. If I knew who left the note I would talk to them, but since I dont know who I guess I cant do anything. Oh well.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #31
Rusty Old Chevy

see now i would take that as a compliment make ya wanna try harder and make it louder!!! that or just tell them your moped is in the shop
Rusty Old Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #32
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

I have been on both sides also.
I had a neighbor call the cops on me a numerous times as I played the drums and had a band practice once a week from 7-9:30 Wednesday nights. The situation got so bad that I sold my house and moved. I figured that moving was better than dealing with this complaining ass all the time.

I was lucky enough to move in beside a new neighbor that woke me up everymorning at 5:00 from lack of mufflers. I even offered to buy new mufflers for him. Situation was bad until he sold and moved. I was the complaining ass in this case.

Before you do something that you might regret, just remember that the situation can get out of hand very fast and you may have to live a long time beside someone who could go out of their way to make your life hard.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #33
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You could always get a honda.... and install a major horse power boosting fart can.... those things don't annoy people at all

I've had people drive through my old apartment complex at 3 and 4 am blasting the living shiznit out of their stereo... neighbors dog's constantly barking, the people upstairs "having fun" all the time. You hear lots of stuff in these places. I moved to a "gated" apartment complex and it is MUCH quieter.... wait until I start driving the '67 this summer.... I'll probably be getting anonymouns "notes" too
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #34
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY
I have been on both sides also.
I had a neighbor call the cops on me a numerous times as I played the drums and had a band practice once a week from 7-9:30 Wednesday nights. The situation got so bad that I sold my house and moved. I figured that moving was better than dealing with this complaining ass all the time.

I was lucky enough to move in beside a new neighbor that woke me up everymorning at 5:00 from lack of mufflers. I even offered to buy new mufflers for him. Situation was bad until he sold and moved. I was the complaining ass in this case.

Before you do something that you might regret, just remember that the situation can get out of hand very fast and you may have to live a long time beside someone who could go out of their way to make your life hard.
VERY well said. We all have to live together and try to be considerate of one another (within reason).

Mike

Last edited by BigMike; 02-13-2006 at 03:31 PM.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #35
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Leave em' earplugs!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #36
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Well atleast your not alone. i wouldn't worry about too much as well. sometimes my neighbors have there stereo too loud and sometimes my wife wants me to go talk to them. i just wait about an hour & then they just turn it down themselves. i know i will get a few of those "napkins" as well because i am getting ready to fire my engine up for the first time since the dyno shop had it. when i do it will have open headers. i KNOW everyone will hear it! then again my neighbors helped me put it back together so i don't think i will get too many complaints. that is why i will never live in a hoa (home owner's assoc.) community!!! i do not need someone telling me my grass is too hi or that my driveway needs to be kept clear of no-moving vehicles. my wife does a pretty good job of that.. anyways i wouldn't worry about, just keep living your life!

take care!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #37
MrC1
Dork For Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
I dont think there really is anything I can do. My mufflers are not the loud kind and I still run manifolds, not headers. The only thing that would bring down the volume would be to convert to single exhaust, and that isnt happening.
If this is true I can't imagine how you would be annoying anyone that badly - unless you're revving it up or something.

My truck has manifolds and the BIG flowmasters so it's not LOUD, but it's still much louder than factory. I don't drive it enough, nor is my driveway close toenough to a neighbor's bedroom to piss off anyone though.
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #38
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I wouldn't do anything until you find out who it is. See if you can come to an understanding. If you can't, poop in their mailbox. :ahole: :ahole:
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #39
gangforward
Hootis is as Hootis does...

If you can find out who did it - turn them in!

(this is from USPS website...)
Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

I'm not sure, but it very well may be illegal to leave such a note in a mailbox. Ask you postmaster.
gangforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #40
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangforward
If you can find out who did it - turn them in!

(this is from USPS website...)
Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

I'm not sure, but it very well may be illegal to leave such a note in a mailbox. Ask you postmaster.

It is, my uncle got in trouble putting flyers in people mailboxes for his pressure washing business, he honestly didn't know you couldn't do that. A few months later HE got a flyer in HIS box for another pressure washing business.... his wife called the USPS immediately and turned them in He didn't pay a fine, but got a warning.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-13-2006 at 04:39 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #41
bad68bowtie
On the college boy budget...

My neighbor's bedroom is right above my driveway where I park my truck and they've been the coolest people in the world about it. I never leave particularly early but I do roll in around midnight a lot, from talking to them I know its woken them up before but they've never complained, they understand the sickness.

My old girlfriends neighbors though... Their house was set back from the street with a good bit of shrubs and whatnot buffering it too but they said something to her dad about it being loud. He tried to explain to them that I wasn't trying to be obnoxious or anything and he told me to just try and make sure I kept all the racket to a minimum. When I left that night I started the truck and got out of there as quickly and quietly as possible trying to be mindful of them, yeah that got me somewhere, the next day I got a bit of a rude note left on my truck while I was at her house. Some people are just anal and can't be pleased.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #42
see ten
WTB this ad

If they don't have the decency to say anything to your face, don't worry about it. Are your pipes 50 state legal? Does your city have a noise ordinance? As long as you are legal and not deliberatly trying to irritate people I wouldn't worry about it. I live in a subdivision and I know how it is. You have to put up with some things unless you want to move elsewhere.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #43
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

I'm on both sides. Find out who it is that sent the note, go meet them. If they are nice folks, see if you can work something out. If they are @ssholes, start your truck up an hour or 2 earlier than normal. I'm off of the main road a little ways, but live in the part of town where the arrogant, nasty, mean, and rich summer people live. If I was closer to the little old snots, I'd be a lot louder of a person.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #44
greasemonkey

Back when my truck had straight pipes, my neighbors once asked me if it was necessary to start the truck up on weekend mornings. I told them I had to go to work so I could afford a new exhaust.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #45
68gmcdually

My neighbo(u)rs are pretty good, all of my vehicles have pretty loud exhaust plus during the summer I generally have the trailer in tow so it takes a couple of extra minutes to swing into the narrow driveway. I am moving in a couple of weeks to a bigger lot with less neighbours so that is good.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #46
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"......

Ever seen that on a Harley? I believe it applies to my truck, too.

Either that, or "If you can't make it run, at least make it loud!" Let's see....it runs AND it's loud. I built my house in the cul de sac, before anyone else built AND it was someone else's decision to put the bedroom on the side of the lot that abuts my driveway. Tough.

Think I'll go warm it up.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #47
jbon64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dale
I wouldn't do anything until you find out who it is. See if you can come to an understanding. If you can't, poop in their mailbox. :ahole: :ahole:
best advice yet !!!!

64 nova wagon , 63 nova convertible
jbon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #48
still w.i.p '68
Dreams are free

If there cool, try to be cool.
If not tell them its the trucks freedom of speech

originally w.i.p '68
member since 1-01
w.i.p = ( work in progress )
still w.i.p '68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #49
68 Stepside
huh?

I'm in the minority here. I have never (I repeat, NEVER) had complaints from any of my neighbors about my shenanigans. Be it cranking my 1000 watt Kenwood home stereo at Midnight, flooding the entire block with tire smoke in the 68, running the built 327 in my Monte with open headers, whatever. They've all been great. I'm getting a new neighbor across the way soon, hopefully they're cool.

It's been said already, if you can determine who wrote the note, try to talk with them. If they're cool, be cool too. If they're not, the "gloves are off".
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #50
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
But then again I do drive this to work and leave at 6:40 every morning

HaHaHa, I used to drive a civic with a 3" Magnaflow exhaust on it, it would
set my neighbors car alarm off almost every morning, of course they always