The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
70short/step

Re: choice of a muffler

One thing that I never saw mentioned was what motor. If you have a stock motor just about all will sound good. If you have cam and headers it will make a difference. Also, I have never had a Flowmaster "come apart"! Flowmaster makes a Great product that sounds Great. For those that say they are too loud, Yes they make some loud mufflers. But they also make some that are not as loud. It also depends on how you run the pipes, where the mufflers are placed and where they exit. I have the 40 series on my truck right now. They have been on there for over 6 years small block with a agressive cam and headers and have never had a problem with them. They are a little loud when I put the pedal to the metal and the are mounted directly under the bed. The flowmaster rep said they make a 50 series that does not 'resonate' as bad and will be quieter for a pick-up. Also if you run an 'X' pipe cross over it will run quieter. Also make sure that when they run your exhaust system that they use quality hangers and enough to support the system. I have seen systems and mufflers fail because they were not properly supported.

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #27
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Yes, there are a lot of variables. My 350 is mild and my 30" glasspacks dump ahead of the back axle, and there is no 'crackle' at all. When I had a hotter cam in it, it was considerably louder (still no crackle, though).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #28
dennislbrooks

I went with Summit welded -- they are just right-- a hair louder than a Turbo. The CATS quiet them a little.
Attached Images

dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #29
larry may

Got the mufflers installed with tail pipe out to the rear bumper.2 1/2 inch pipe looks nice . Was fairly easy task considering this is a trailing arm ride. Do not remember who cut holes in the x member the Trailing arms bolt to. Any way I followed that Wizards lead. cut the holes and welded in a short piece of 4 inch pipe I learned this from this forum. The exhaust is now above the frame and and through the xmember. Sounds really swell. Thanks again for the information all of you contributed.. Larry

Last edited by larry may; 03-18-2006 at 07:26 PM.
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:17 AM   #30
QKENUF4U

sorry to bump a old thread.
running 40series flows out the back, exiting behind the rear tire, 2 1/2 all the way. sounds 100x better than the magnaflows i just sold to a board member and quiet as can be on the highway.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #31
Werewolf
Woof?

Got a 3" single with a Flowmaster 50 series on my Caprice, it's been there for about 4 years and 250,000 miles. Not loud at all; no drone inside. You can hear the rumble in and out, but it's definitely not bad. I know some people prefer the new Super 40 series from Flowmaster; it's got a thicker case, so it's quieter inside the car. It's black. That being said, I tend to try to stay away from Flowmasters these days. I don't like the sound, and they're really, really not the master of flow. In some cases they're more restrictive than their competitors. On a dual application, though, they wouldn't be bad.

If you want to try a bit of a gamble, and definitely something different, try the Hooker Aerochamber muffler. Available through Summit. Straight through, wide open design, but *shockingly* quiet. I'd say it's a bit quieter than a Flowmaster standard 40 series. Less drone, too. Measurable torque difference over the Flowmaster, let alone stock. Had one on my '01 Silverado, absolutely loved it. Only problem is that mine got rusty pretty quickly after the paint was burned off (at the welds.) Get paint on it, you should be OK.
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #32
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf

If you want to try a bit of a gamble, and definitely something different, try the Hooker Aerochamber muffler. Available through Summit. Straight through, wide open design, but *shockingly* quiet. I'd say it's a bit quieter than a Flowmaster standard 40 series. Less drone, too. Measurable torque difference over the Flowmaster, let alone stock. Had one on my '01 Silverado, absolutely loved it. Only problem is that mine got rusty pretty quickly after the paint was burned off (at the welds.) Get paint on it, you should be OK.
My buddy sell these, I am going to put them on "GQ" when I get some extra
money, and then move the Magnaflows to the "Roadster Project" to bad they
are painted like you said, now make em in SS and Bling Bling, btw they sound
freaking awesome, deeper, louder rumble than anything on the market, they
would be wicked on the 4wd, but to damn loud for a slammed 2wd, jmho
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #33
gator2511

I ran my exhaust straight out the back to exit under the bumper. I used Flow Tech Afterburners and after a little use they sound great out the back but quiet in the cab. Had a lot of people say they sound great. Only$39.95 at Summit.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #34
Daubs

I had a 350 with ram-horns and dual glasspacks (no crossover). Was pretty loud in the cab. It was all rusting and falling apart (purchased only year ago).

Took to the muffler shop and decided on more glasspacks. When they put wrench on manifold bolts it snapped off the bottom. The manifold was cracked and was held on by only a small amount of material (~20%). That's why it was so loud.

After replacing the manifold and installing new packs, my truck is quieter than I would like. But it still has a good growl. Yes, I would like it a little louder, but I'll live with it for now.