The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #26
4x4Poet

You might try a Robert Shaw high performance thermostat. Stock replacement T-stats do restrict the flow quite a bit. This stock T-stat restriction is no problem for stock engines with low compression that have low cooling needs, but high compression engines that create a lot of heat need the coolant out of the block sooner/faster, IMO. Not so fast as with no T-stat, as you discovered, but faster nonetheless.

I knew a guy with a big block with around 9.5:1 to 10:1 compression that ran at 240-245º at idle. Installing a RS T-stat dropped the temp 10-15º at idle. Didn't solve the entire problem, but it helped.

Flowkooler sells RS T-stats along with their excellent waterpumps. Jegs and Summit also sell them rebadged as Mr. Gasket T-stats.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #27
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Overheating!! Help!! Ideas

Goodwrench 350, stock pistons, crank, rods, replaced heads with Iron Vortec. Aluminum vortec intake, mild flat tappet crane cam .454 .480, double roller timing set, roller rockers. Compression is around 9.25:1 seems a bit mild for having those problems.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #28
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

What exhaust do you have?
I changed out the intake and carb on my 350 awhile back from stock to rpm performer, and started having all sorts of overheating problems. I changed the water pump, t-stat, radiator, hoses, heater core, 160 t-stat.
The motor would actually get hotter the faster I went on the highway, so I knew it wasn't just a fan thing.
After exhausting (no pun intended) all other options, I started thinking about what I had changed on the motor, and the only thing was the intake and carb. I figured that the motor was now sucking in more air than it could easily push out, so it was overheating because it was litteraly having to PUSH the exhaust out.
I put on a set of hooker long tube headers and 2 1/2 pipes, and no more overheating.
I even had to put the regular t-stat back in because after the header change my truck started running too cold.
Toad
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #29
53burb

It was mentioned earlier to check your timing. I second that. When I replaced my engine almost a year ago, I didn't have my timing set correctly, and it overheated until it was set correctly. For a SBC, I believe you should be at anywhere from 8-12 degrees BTDC...
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote