The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #26
kwmech

Re: Gear Vendors Overdrive install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
Once you add in the converter, the one I had built last yr for my 4x4 Burban came in close to that. This is the 3rd "built" 700R4 in the burban.
Yeah the truck weighs 3 tons but so what.
I still waould rather have a TH400/GV OD
I am on my 3rd 700 in my '90 burb also with a 185k on the speedo. Another 1,500 for the trans or about 3,000 for the conversion of the 400/gear vendor unit. I have a GV unit in my 69 GMC, but this time I personally couldn't justify the expense. I wish they hadn't jacked their prices so much. So I fully agree.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #27
nate68

if you have no tranys then going with a tranny plus a GV is pretty pricey. if you have a decent trans and you need the overdrive/extra gear(s) then a GV makes more sense.
it all depends on your situation and money. how many ppl are running the GV unit?
my 700r4 has held up fine and it's not super beefed up. i dont drive it every day although i used to.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #28
Schralper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate68 View Post
if you have no tranys then going with a tranny plus a GV is pretty pricey. if you have a decent trans and you need the overdrive/extra gear(s) then a GV makes more sense.
it all depends on your situation and money. how many ppl are running the GV unit?
my 700r4 has held up fine and it's not super beefed up. i dont drive it every day although i used to.

Not really considering the prices Summit has on TH350's.
If you don't need a bulletproof trans. Plus you can remove the OD if you want, oh how nice.
$600 for TH350 from Summit + $2400 GV OD=$3000.
Converter you'll need no matter what trans you go w/, unless you really wanna toast a new trans w/ old converter. Think centrifigal filter.
So $2000+ for a converter and 700R4 THAT will die and need a rebuild.

How does that go??
Something like pay a lil more now or a lot more later??

Last edited by Schralper; 09-02-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #29
Psycho71

Quote:
2600 bucks into a 700r4 should make it bulletproof. i'm sure you can get a pretty stout one for around 2k (i think)
And, the 700r4 doesn't split the gear ratio's, effectively turning a 3speed auto into a 6 speed OD tranny with no clutch (or so they claim). Keeping the ratio's closer together keeps the rpm's in the power band longer, and reduces drivline shock, not even mentioning the .78 OD (22% lower rpm @ speed). And there is no lock-up converter to deal with. It is my understanding that a 700r doesn't route fluid to the cooler until the converter locks up. Another issue averted.

This thread is the first I've ever heard of this concept. Gotta love this board! I just spent about an hour reading their website. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was going to have to risk a 700r4, and I have NO luck what-so-ever. Now I know, I will just save my money until I can get the GV unit for my th350. It is a brilliant concept, and good to 1200hp in some apps.!

I do have a question or two for you guys running them.

The website says it's an easy system to operate, it it seems so. Is it really? Are you any more busy in the cab than you were before? If so how, and how much more?

After the intitial GV unit, what were your actual added expenses installing it?

Are there any quirks one might want to know about? Upshifting? Downshifting? Hesitation? Jerks? Bangs? Pops? Anything?

I notice fluid changes are recommended every 5,000 miles or so.
How difficult is this to do?

What fluid does it use?

Anyone using/seen other manufacturers units? Is so, how do they compare in your opinions?

Thanks for the info, and enlightenment (once again),
Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #30
dennislbrooks

8-) Duramax and an Allison may be the answer 8-)
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #31
nate68

i think they use standard transmission gear oil (don't quote me on that)

i am also curious as to how they operate. like when you put it in manual shift mode so you're in 1st, then hit the button for 1st over, when you shift to second gear do you have to hit the button again or does it shift out of OD automatically.
i wish there was a 1/4 mile test to see the added benefits
Old 09-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #32
kwmech

Quote:
I thought I'd quote you anyways

Gear Vendors has upgraded the fluid to use the GM synthetic, the same oil that goes in the NV 4500
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #33
gator2511

Quote:

i am also curious as to how they operate. like when you put it in manual shift mode so you're in 1st, then hit the button for 1st over, when you shift to second gear do you have to hit the button again or does it shift out of OD automatically.
If you are in manual mode the tranny shifts normally unless you hit the floor switch. You can let it go ahead and shift into high gear and then hit the sw. for OD. If you want 6 speeds you run in manual mode and start moving the truck with your shift lever on the column in 1st gear. When you reach the desired rpms you hit the floor button and you go into 1st gear OD. As you build rpms and shift into 2nd gear you hit the floor button again and you go into normal 2nd gear. Continue to shift as you did in 1st gear and you end up with six speeds. If you choose to run in automatic mode it will shift into OD after you get up to speed in 3rd gear. It will kick out of OD in any mode when you slow down to about 18 mph.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #34
gator2511

Quote:

OOPS! Sorry I quoted you on that. They use a chrysler or GM synthetic oil. Its about $20 a bottle. Amsoil has a direct replacement for that oil for half that. I use Amsoil with great results.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #35
TP from Cntl PA

I have another stupid question..........Does the GV lock-up? Or is it an overrunning clutch deal that free wheels? When I put the 4-53 Detroit in one of my pickups I'll probably run a 6spd, and I am going to have a real Jake on it, I need something that locks up to use it.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #36
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho71 View Post
And, the 700r4 doesn't split the gear ratio's, effectively turning a 3speed auto into a 6 speed OD tranny with no clutch (or so they claim). Keeping the ratio's closer together keeps the rpm's in the power band longer, and reduces drivline shock, not even mentioning the .78 OD (22% lower rpm @ speed). And there is no lock-up converter to deal with. It is my understanding that a 700r doesn't route fluid to the cooler until the converter locks up. Another issue averted.

This thread is the first I've ever heard of this concept. Gotta love this board! I just spent about an hour reading their website. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was going to have to risk a 700r4, and I have NO luck what-so-ever. Now I know, I will just save my money until I can get the GV unit for my th350. It is a brilliant concept, and good to 1200hp in some apps.!

I do have a question or two for you guys running them.

The website says it's an easy system to operate, it it seems so. Is it really? Are you any more busy in the cab than you were before? If so how, and how much more?

After the intitial GV unit, what were your actual added expenses installing it?

Are there any quirks one might want to know about? Upshifting? Downshifting? Hesitation? Jerks? Bangs? Pops? Anything?

I notice fluid changes are recommended every 5,000 miles or so.
How difficult is this to do?

What fluid does it use?

Anyone using/seen other manufacturers units? Is so, how do they compare in your opinions?

Thanks for the info, and enlightenment (once again),
Jay

The unit is easy to operate. Its just like pressing the headlight switch on the floorboard. On automatic mode you don't do anything and it goes into OD in high gear at about 40mph. These trannys shift hard but the more weight you haul the smoother they shift. When I tow my 6100 pound travel trailer it shfts as smooth as silk. I just run mine in manual mode and let off the gas a little when I shift and its very smooth. You can do the same thing in automatic mode.
The only problem I have had is the tranny would pop out of OD once in a while. I found that my speedometer was not steady and the needle was fluctuating. I have a new cable and that will fix it.
Its easy to install and the only added cost was shortening the driveshaft and changing the yoke on the driveshaft to fit a heavier u joint. I think the cost was about $100 including the new u joint.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #37
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP from Cntl PA View Post
I have another stupid question..........Does the GV lock-up? Or is it an overrunning clutch deal that free wheels? When I put the 4-53 Detroit in one of my pickups I'll probably run a 6spd, and I am going to have a real Jake on it, I need something that locks up to use it.
It locks up. when it goes into OD it stays in OD while slowing down. It won't come out until you slow down to about 18mph. If you have any doubts just call them and they will be glad to help you with your questions. Its like a little automatic transmission with its own pump and it shifts by engaging the solenoid on the case.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #38
dennislbrooks

The last I saw from GV on fluid --which I do run is the GM Synthetic gear lube. Their site should list the #-- or I can look the next time I have the 67 at the house. The only rule I know of is the GV pump has to have a certain pressure before they want it activated - they do not want the unit activated --in overdrive ---- at a stop but at higher driveline speeds.

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 09-06-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #39
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
The last I saw from GV on fluid --which I do run is the GM Synthetic gear lube. Their site should list the #-- or I can look the next time I have the 67 at the house. The only rule I know of is the GV pump has to have a certain pressure before they want it activated - they do not want the unit activated --in overdrive ---- at a stop but at higher driveline speeds.
GM#12346190
MOPAR#04874459
Amsoil 75W-90 API GL-4
Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #40
dennislbrooks

pic in my 67 behind a 350 turbo -- 2wd
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #41
nate68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2511 View Post
If you are in manual mode the tranny shifts normally unless you hit the floor switch. You can let it go ahead and shift into high gear and then hit the sw. for OD. If you want 6 speeds you run in manual mode and start moving the truck with your shift lever on the column in 1st gear. When you reach the desired rpms you hit the floor button and you go into 1st gear OD. As you build rpms and shift into 2nd gear you hit the floor button again and you go into normal 2nd gear. Continue to shift as you did in 1st gear and you end up with six speeds. If you choose to run in automatic mode it will shift into OD after you get up to speed in 3rd gear. It will kick out of OD in any mode when you slow down to about 18 mph.
so you have to hit the button for the GV and shift the tranny into the next gear at the same time (manually shifting trans)?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 AM   #42
gator2511

Quote:
so you have to hit the button for the GV and shift the tranny into the next gear at the same time (manually shifting trans)?
If you want 6 speeds thats the way you do it. I can't see doing that unless you are pulling a heavy load or in the mountains. You can also downshift using the same method but reversing the shifts. If you are in four wheel drive you should NEVER use the OD feature as that effectively puts the rear diff. in a different gear ratio from the front diff.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #43
TP from Cntl PA

Quote:
Works well with a 3/4/5/6spd..........That is how some(NOT ALL!!) big truck transmissions are run, especially a SUPER 10 Speed.

Or like a 2-ton truck or what have you with a 2 spd rear end.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #44
junkyardjohn

MAN THE TIMING OF THIS POST. I'M JUST GETTING READY TO PUT A G/V OVERDRIVE BEHIND A T-400 IN A 1 TON DUAL WHEEL TRUCK. ANYBODY HAVE A SOURCE FOR NEW G/V UNITS FOR LESS THAN $2400?? JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 PM   #45
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Sometimes you will see them on E-bay.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #46
CG
BlahBlahBlah

There is a fella over on the HAMB that is buying into becoming a GV vendor. He is giving anyone that buys one his price. The more that buy, the lower the price goes. Right now its 200 bucks off. I will check with him today and see where he is at and post the info here after work.

Well it looks like he is up to 300 dollars off now. Couple more buyers and its gonna be 400.
I will put a link to his thread here. If you are interested just email him and tell him CG told you about the deal he is trying to put together, here is his email addy kstreetrods@hot.rr.com and here is the link to the thread on the HAMB
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...36#post1462736

Last edited by CG; 09-08-2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: more info
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #47
CG
BlahBlahBlah

must not ttt when you edit...so here is a ttt.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #48
junkyardjohn

Thanks Gc . A Group Purchase Is Just What I'm Looking For. He Only Needs A Couple Of More People To Commit To Buying One & He Can Get Them For $500 Off. Anybody?? John

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #49
junkyardjohn

THEY ARE AT $2200 RIGHT NOW. HE'S ORDERING THEM WEDNSDAY, & IF TWO MORE PEOPLE COMMIT TO BUYING ONE WELL GET THEM FOR $2000. COME ON GUYS. YOU WON'T FIND NEW ONES ANY CHEAPER THAN THAT. I DON'T KNOW THIS GUY FROM ADAM BUT HE OWNS A HOT ROD SHOP & APPEARS TO BE ON THE UP & UP. CHECK OUT HIS WEB SITE. I COMMITED TO BUYING ONE. COME ON.... TWO MORE GUYS. JOHN
THANKS GC FOR THE HEADS UP.

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 09-11-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #50
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I hadnt commited to it till tonight...so we need one more?