The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
novajess1972

Re: I feel a bit duped here.....

First: don't feel bad at all, BigFish. This C10 is my fourth classic vehicle and I still very much consider myself green and a novice. I learn at least 50 new things with each project, and hope to continue to learn a ton more. Look at is this way...the more screwed up your vehicle is, the more knowledge you gain by fixing it yourself.

Second: understand that with these trucks being 35-40 years old, many have changed hands more than 5 or 6 or more times. Everyone has to leave their "mark" on it somewhere. And trust that I have been yelled at by my wife enough to know the frustration of buying something that needs more work (read:money) than we initially budgeted.

Last: know that as long as this site is here you will always have support and guidance. I still ask the silliest questions on thsi site, and there are always folks that are willing to help....and they're really good about not making you feel like you never should've asked to begin with. These site members and supporters don't even know us, yet are willing to jump in and send help.

This concludes my mushy moment

Good luck, BigFishBobby and we are here if you need us.

Jesse
1971 Chevy Nova (sold)
1967 Chevy El Camino (sold)
2001 Mustang Bullitt (sold)
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (daily)
novajess1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #27
BigFishBobby

I am hoping this windshield thing is fairly minor. Since I work in the fishing industry (see username), I work dark til dark. I think I may go out tonight and put a flashlight on the floor board and see if I can spot any light from the wiper arm area. My suspicion is that I am going to find some rust right under the windshield seal. From what I hear, it is a popular problem on these trucks.

As far as a long term fix goes, is it recommended for me to try to pull the windshield and do the repair work myself? Seems as though this one might be one I would pay someone else to do with the right equipment, but heck maybe I am selling myself short.
BigFishBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #28
novajess1972

You could give it a shot, but I know that I have no knowledge of rust repair....if that's what it turns out to be. As others mentioned, it could be as simple as a bad seal or something. Just take a look to see what you can do on your own. If it seems too much to handle, then resort to paying someone else.

Jesse
1971 Chevy Nova (sold)
Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #29
BigFishBobby

For those who may be curious, here is what I am working on.....

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ers/truck1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rs/truck10.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rs/truck11.jpg
Old 12-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #30
novajess1972

That truck is so good looking that I don't think I would have thought to look for any negative areas either. We now understand that you were mesmerized by its appearance.
1971 Chevy Nova (sold)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #31
69TowRig

Nice truck. Mine looked like a POS that needed a million things done to it. At least looks didn't deceive me, I have a ton of time and $$ into the thing and from a quick glance most that have seen it over the last two years don't recognize how far it has come.

Patience and luck be with you.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

just once i wish i could start with soething this nice..good looking truck..mine wont look that good when im done with it..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #33
BigFishBobby

Just came in from looking for leaks. Found some rust in the driver side heat intake vent. Very very minor. I am sure there will be some more under there, but my preliminary reaction is positive.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #34
shifty
Questionable

Hey Bobby,

Just caught your thread out of the corner of my eye, I'm not in here much anymore. Wish I still lived in Florida, could swing by and help out, but ... had to get the hell out of Dodge, because FL sucks! It was time to move on.

I just wanted to chip in some stuff here, since most of what I see above (I didn't read all of it) deals with the windshield leakage which is pretty popular in these trucks, as are all those great rust spots. Living in FL, getting that daily shower between 2-5pm doesn't help much, I'm sure.

The two things I wanted to comment on were this:

Swapping out your master cylinder is pretty easy. You can "bench bleed" the new MC when you get it to save a lot of hassle (search around for more info on bench bleeding), then it's as easy as unbolting the old one, bolting on the pre-bench-bled replacement, hooking up the brake lines and then bleeding your brakes. If you wanted to go the extra mile and spend ~$450, you could upgrade to power brakes. $450 should cover the following parts: (1) brake booster + master cylinder combo, (1) extended push rod (attaches to brake pedal to activate booster/MC), (1) new set of brake lines from www.inlinetube.com (get the power brake lines for your year). It's a bolt-on upgrade. It is a bit more involved. You will need to slightly bend some of the tubing to get it perfect, but ... the joys of power brakes are worth the time.

Second, I just wanted to say that electrical gremlins are a bane to us all. This is one of those things you can slowly fix here and there and HOPE TO GOD your truck doesn't burn down to the ground one day. OR, you can 'do the right thing' and get a replacement harness for inside the truck. There are several companies out there who sell replacement plug-and-play harnesses for a truck like yours. Ultimately, though, I would probably go with a Painless harness and install an upgraded fusebox to go with it. Yes, it will be a little spendy (few hundred bones), but ... Imagine what a stupidass you'll feel like if your truck burns down ... and the insurance company only values it at $1,000 or something

Last bit: Go get your truck appraised by someone who deals with classics as soon as humanly possible. Make sure your insurance company is covering it at the full appraised value so you don't end up getting burned.

I think all of the above are things people may not tell you and I hope nobody above has mentioned any of it.

This forum is a great place to ping people for ideas. We have a lot of FL members, and lots of members in the SE USA also, which is a definite perk. My family and friends are still down there (bradenton, stuart, leesburg, miami, tampa), so maybe when mine's up and running, I can take a trek down there and hang out with some of you guys. I'm headed down to hang out with the parents in about a week. Hoping weather is nice enough to trek out into the gulf and pull up some grouper

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #35
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post

Last bit: Go get your truck appraised by someone who deals with classics as soon as humanly possible. Make sure your insurance company is covering it at the full appraised value so you don't end up getting burned.

I just saw pics of your truck in the TOTM thread. VERY NICE. Working the bugs out is the fun part
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #36
BigFishBobby

Thanks for the advice and compliments guys. I guess a lot of my frustration is that these things were unexpected. In the big picture, all seem fairly minor after hearing you guys advice.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #37
shifty
Questionable

There are some guys on here (esp. up north) that pay $1000-3000 for a truck that "isn't that rusty - just the cab corners, cab supports, rockers, fenders and floorboards". Your truck looks far from being that far gone. In fact, it looks pretty damned nice. If your stuff is well-intact, you can reach down in the rar cab corner pockets and not feel rust everywhere, and your area under your battery tray is relatively rust free, be happy.

Also - be aware of something. There is a guy named Ed that runs a truck shop named MotherTruckers down in Bradenton, last I checked (might have moved north recently?). He does a lot of work on these trucks, carries a lot of parts -- he might be a good guy to get in contact with.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #38
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Welcome to the board from Rockledge, Fl! Sharp looking truck ya got there my friend. You've found the best place there is for help and/or advice.

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #39
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49studebaker View Post
Two things come to mind here. Do you have a place to tear it apart and are you able to do the work? Good Luck!
That is a great picture. They should put those kind of picts on a magazine cover sometimes instead of just finished trucks!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #40
gator2511

Hey Bobby! I live on the East side of brandon in Seffner. (ex home of Big Daddy Don Garlits) I am absolutely no good at body work but mechanical and electrical are my thing. I would be happy to help you out when we can both get the time. This Saturday I'll be in your neck of the woods in Green Swamp hunting. I'll pm you with my phone number and we can plan something. Just look at the problems as a hobby thing and take them one at a time.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote