The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 AM   #26
XXL
Señor Member

Re: Trailing Arms

68CHEBY, the "poor, pitiful me" routine is already played out... even after only "9 or 10 posts...." Nobody's "crucified" you but yourself. Nobody's called you a liar. Nobody's said we're not interested in a good deal. Nobody (except you) said low post count means you're a lesser contributor. You just came on the board and when someone pressed you ever so slightly on something you posted, you came unglued.

Krue,

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Looks like a new guy is just trying to turn y'all on to a deal and you jump him.
That's all good and wonderful that you get to "admin" us, but read his second post again. He's going ape over someone's benign comment... and even if not benign, 68cheby's rant isn't really called for. Selected smartassity...

Quote:
Spicer driveshafts are only 75.00 up to about 55" with yokes 4" to 3" diameter, but I guess thats not a deal either because other people sell them for 250-350 dollars....or so they say.Amen bother
The whole post.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #27
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

All BS aside. Who's gonna pony up and try these out?

What's the difference between mono-ball bushings and the regular urethane?

-Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #28
krue
Designated A-hole!

xxl you have a pm.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 12-20-2006 at 03:38 AM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 AM   #29
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Found this pic at the IROC page. Look familiar?
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 AM   #30
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Also found this at stockcarproducts.com. They also have lowering blocks, pinion angle shims, and u-bolts.

Can anyone verify the 51" measurement? My 'calibrated hand' says mine are more than 19lbs too...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 12-20-2006 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #31
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Okay, sounds like a flame job on a guy for no good reason. You say he "misunderstood your post" well I read it the same way. Ya'll play nice or keep your opinion to yourself. Looks like a new guy is just trying to turn y'all on to a deal and you jump him. We don't play that game here and I would appreciate everyone keeping it civil.

This is all the info he provided when I responded; A CLAIM that you can buy trailing arms for 150 per set. I never realized that pointing out that someone made a claim to one thing or another was the same as flaming someone. How someone takes my 1st reply as a "flame job" is beyond me. There is a serious disconnect here.

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried to adapt the nascar trailing arms to a truck. They are supposed to be based on the trailing arms up to '72. Adam at muscle motorsports said they should be the same length etc., are boxed, and come with either mono ball bushings or urethane. The best part is that they stock them and they are only 150.00 a set, smoking deal!! If they will work.
Any input?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
What would be the difference. Most of these trucks are already setup with trailing arms, pretty sturdy ones too. You can add polly bushing to them and pretty much have the same thing.
Quote:
MY REPLY: I would think the difference is these are only 150 per set (so he claims) Other companies sell them for 500+ per set.
My reply is a flame??? Yeah, right....

Last edited by Jim_PA; 12-20-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #32
krue
Designated A-hole!

So everyone is innocent. If you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread, stay off it. If you have a problem with me, pm me, take it up with an admin, but do not post it on this thread again, or it will get edited of the bs.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #33
JustLiveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Also found this at stockcarproducts.com. They also have lowering blocks, pinion angle shims, and u-bolts.

Can anyone verify the 51" measurement? My 'calibrated hand' says mine are more than 19lbs too...
Good find. Looks like these are $225 each. Still cheaper than early classics set for $499. Looks like their prices on u-bolts and shims are a little cheaper than I have seen other places.

I'm going to get my arms sand blasted and painted this weekend and new bushings put in. Hopefully I don't need new ones!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #34
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Talking Re: Trailing Arms

Sweet an e-pissing match!! Where's my popcorn?

I think that even if they don't fit, it's still a helluva deal. Make 'em fit.

My question for the guys at musclemotorsports is do you have the crossmember available too? I guess I could alway go with the SCR crossmember, which looks pretty danged nice anyway, but if these guys sell the TA for 25% of what the other cheapest place to get them from does, then how much is the crossmember too?

I for one am thankful to God, my country, & 68cheby for aprising me of these trailing arms.

Thank you,

Buddy
2003 Discovery SE7 - Wife's
BUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #35
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDDY View Post
I for one am thankful to God, my country, & 68cheby for aprising me of these trailing arms.

Thank you,

Buddy
Me too, as mine are rusted and will need to be replaced someday, but unfortunately people can't see that.

Who will be the guinnea pig? I already said I'd put in $5 for someone to buy just one, and evaluate weather or not it will work for us.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #36
jkade

I would buy a set if I needed them and thanks 68CHEBY for trying to help some folks save some money. I have been in one of these pissing matches on a thread I started once too, some people just take things the wrong way and then they cool down. Keep posting ideas, finds, and questions. If I remember right this is what this site is for and not bashing folks for posting ideas, finds, and questions.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #37
68SHORTBOX

68CHEBY, thanks for the link always looking for ways to improve the handling of the 68 and save a couple of bucks in the process.
68SHORTBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #38
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

III. No pissing matches. Its fine to disagree, but once a thread has run its course, and degenerated into little more than an insult fest, it will be locked. While this will require a judgment call by the Administrators & Moderators. The members of this site can keep our moderating to a minimum by exercising a little discretion and self- control. Excessive profanity will lead to a 24 hour suspension at the Administrations discretion.
IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #39
slt0066

hey he is right !!! I have a set on my truck 72 swb they are the same length I'll measure mine tommorrow to be sure but I think they are 51.5 inches from center of bushing to centerline of the reaer end housing.
I work for a nextel cup team in concord nc. and have been working for nascar teams for almost 10 years now. the only thing you have to watch out for is the muscle motorsports place sells used parts. which is fine as long as you can see what your buying.. the thing with these truck arms is the left side normally has a big adjustable bracket welded to it for the panhart bar mount to. (no big deal I just cut mine off ). and they also have mounts for the shocks to bolt to. and some times one is shorter than the other . there are several things teams do to they truck arms to help with performance I suggest if you are going to buy a set go in person and inspect them. bring a tape measure and original one if you can . lay them side by side and compare ..like i said they do work if you get te right ones.
you can also get two right side truck arms so you wont have to cut the mount off.. sorry for the long post just wanted to shed some light on this topic ... hope I helped...
Attached Images

slt0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #40
SCOTI

slt0066,

I thought it was mentioned that the aforementioned parts were 'boxed'?

Are those arms in your pic from the same place?
Am I seeing the pic correctly because they don't look boxed.... they look like a reinforcement plate has been added?

Curious if there's one source for the arms & different groups modify them according to their needs (some boxed, some plated).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-20-2006 at 10:55 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 AM   #41
roj2323

sweetness! i would think the panhard bracket would be a blessing as you wouldn't have to buy the $80 bracket from ECE. however i'm still up in the air on this sbuject. i'm starting to think the only way i'll be happy is with a custom one off frame with 2x3 trailing arms much like ECE is now selling. this hobby really is a curse.
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #42
68CHEBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by slt0066 View Post
hey he is right !!! I have a set on my truck 72 swb they are the same length I'll measure mine tommorrow to be sure but I think they are 51.5 inches from center of bushing to centerline of the reaer end housing.
I work for a nextel cup team in concord nc. and have been working for nascar teams for almost 10 years now. the only thing you have to watch out for is the muscle motorsports place sells used parts. which is fine as long as you can see what your buying.. the thing with these truck arms is the left side normally has a big adjustable bracket welded to it for the panhart bar mount to. (no big deal I just cut mine off ). and they also have mounts for the shocks to bolt to. and some times one is shorter than the other . there are several things teams do to they truck arms to help with performance I suggest if you are going to buy a set go in person and inspect them. bring a tape measure and original one if you can . lay them side by side and compare ..like i said they do work if you get te right ones.
you can also get two right side truck arms so you wont have to cut the mount off.. sorry for the long post just wanted to shed some light on this topic ... hope I helped...
Thank you, that was the type of post I was looking for. So now I know for sure that they will work. thanks again.
68CHEBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #43
jimmydean

So would the panhard bar mount work with the super delux bar (or whatever CPP called the real long one I bought)? Mine has the bracket that slides onto to trailing arm and mounts to the stock frame mount for bagged trucks.

I like the looks of the tube arms myself, but square would make the most sense.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #44
john
member #16

By the way welcome to the site.

john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #45
Shane
Account Suspended

Ok bro, serious business here ... don't hold out on us, which NEXTEL team do you work for?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #46
JustLiveIt

If NASCAR has been using these arms for years, why did it take so long for companies like early classic or CPP to come out with replacement trailing arms? And why do they look different than the ones used for NASCAR?

You would think that a company like early classic would ask the manufacturer of the NASCAR arms to make some with the correct brackets, etc. for our trucks instead of engineering their own.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #47
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLiveIt View Post
If NASCAR has been using these arms for years, why did it take so long for companies like early classic or CPP to come out with replacement trailing arms? And why do they look different than the ones used for NASCAR?

You would think that a company like early classic would ask the manufacturer of the NASCAR arms to make some with the correct brackets, etc. for our trucks instead of engineering their own.
Quit flaming the new guy!!11111111oneone. Companies like Early Classic and CPP take reasonably priced stuff and mark it up to exhorbitant levels so that they can gouge the very people to whom their business caters.

Er, eh...
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #48
earl87gta

Dont have info on the trialing arms but I have bought stuff from them before and Ive never had a problem I would call them and talk with them and let them know what you want and you should be oK I started bying parts after the owner to the number 35 truck had posted on the diesel place as a good place to get a hevy duty radiator.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #49
roj2323

Quote:
If NASCAR has been using these arms for years, why did it take so long for companies like early classic or CPP to come out with replacement trailing arms? And why do they look different than the ones used for NASCAR?.
It took a while because the popularity of the 67-72 trucks is just now picking up steam. With the added popularity more and more basic components such as the trailing arms are being reproduced in both stock and modified versions to support demand. Why is it that NASCAR teams don't use tube arms such as the ones CPP and ECE sells? Well it probably has something to do with NASCAR rules.

Quote:
You would think, but in reality it's actually cheaper to make the trailing arms out of easy to find materials verses paying through the nose to have a stamping machine made or playing the pass it on game with dealers/distributors. It’s all about profit, it sucks I know, but that's capitalism.

hope this helps,
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #50
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

Hey...fun post...thought I'd add my $0.02 in...

Found a pic in Car and Driver (I know...it's not a truck, per se, but for purposes of discussion and adding to the knowledge base).

Anyways, this pic is of the rear of the #19 Dodge from Evernham Racing .

It shows the fabricated trailing arms are not "boxed" in a traditional sense. They are reinforced with plate steel, at least on the bottoms. Can't see the tops. I think you can also see the Panhard mount on the right arm, previously mentioned by stl0066, if you squint reeealllyy hard.

Anyways, it is one clean machine.
Attached Images

Last edited by FarmTruk; 12-21-2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added info
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote