The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #26
ChevyDude

Re: Which spray-in bedliner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I would trust nobody but Line-X. I have had several things coated with Line-X and I have seen how bad their only "real" competition Rhino Liner have ended up a couple years later. It dries in less than 3 seconds and the process is painless. Paint matching available!!

Those are some pretty big statements. It shows that you are NOT informed. Line-X does not make their own material and has tried to purchase material from GatorHyde. I don't want to get in a pissing match , but to say RNO is their only REAL competition, is just lame. When we produce our own material, that when you match it, chemical to chemical, it is a better product and carries a LifeTime Warranty and is almost 100 dollars less expensive...ok...were not "real" competition, lol! Not to mention some LNX shops have closed in some towns that Gatorhyde has moved into. TRUCKS TV show also just did a test on all the liners...GatorHyde was picked as the liner of choice!

Spray what you want. It's your truck.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-19-2007 at 04:50 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #27
chopper103in

how can you go wrong with anything with a lifetime warranty
chopper103in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #28
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude View Post
Those are some pretty big statements. It shows that you are NOT informed.
Thanks for calling me an idiot. Really makes you look like a cool guy who knows everything and shouldn't be questioned!!

Quote:
Line-X does not make their own material amd has tried to purchase material from GatorHyde.
I've seen companies sue indivuals for less than making statements like you just did. I just wonder if you can provide some legal proof of what you just said so we can all verify it. I would like to see an official request from Line-X to back up that claim.

Quote:
I don't want to get in a pissing match
Why post this statement? Why did you deel the need to imply I'm an idiot when you don't want to get into a pissing match? It's like saying "I don't want to fight", then sucker punching me. It makes no sense. . In all seriousness, help me understand. I don't want a pissing match either, but I don't like it when people call me a "lame" "idiot".

Quote:
, but to say RNO is their only REAL competition, is just lame.
Now you're calling me lame in addition to an idiot? Around here in Atlanta and the places I've lived in and around central FL, its the truth. 75% of all shops are one or the other. I have never seen your product anywhere...

Quote:
When we produce our own material, that when you match chemical to chemical, is a better product and carries a Lifetime warranty and is almost 100 dollars less expensive...ok...were not "real" competition, lol!
Never seen your product or your shop before. 5 years of using Line-X, I have never been disappointed. Why should I or anyone else try anything else, when I've been burned with other products make boastful claims like Gatorhyde?

Quote:
Not to mention some LNX shops have closed in some towns that Gatorhyde has moved into.

Spray what you want. It's your truck.
I have ... and will ... and will continue to preach the virtues of using Line-X, because it has been an absolutely killer product for me.

You're definitely not going to get my business or the business of anyone I know running around insulting people like you just did to me - in front of everyone on this forum!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-19-2007 at 05:04 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #29
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper103in View Post
how can you go wrong with anything with a lifetime warranty
Easy. When you have a spray in bedliner, and it peels, bubbles, flakes or cracks and your truck gets damaged when they gotta scrape the old one out to respray a new one, then any leftovers make the new one bubble and crack...any number of things can go wrong.

I would rather have a product that is tested and proven solid for a decade or more that I know I will never need to exercise the warranty with, than to have a product I don't know with a lifetime warranty and be left to worry "what if" I need to cash in on the warranty and what are the side effects?

Claiming lifetime warranty is one thing. Be sure to read the fine print - What happens if you neeed to exercise the warranty? Do they give you the money back and you get to find a way to scrape out their product? Do they pay for removal, body work and a respray? Is there anything you can do to void the warranty? Lots of things to look at there. "lifetime warranty" can never be viewed as more important than the reputation and representation of a product.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
agronomya

I must say, you've pretty much got me sold on GatorHyde. The closest dealer I found on the website is Shattuck, OK. Which is 4 hours away and I don't trust my truck that much to make that drive right now. So it looks like I'll probably have to settle for second class unless ChevyDude wants to come and spray it for me.

ChevyDude-Can you tell me which would be best out of Ultimate, Reflex, or the PolyTech (I think thats right) liners? Thanks.

AA

P.S. This whole thread changed (Shifty VS ChevyDude) while I was writin this. You guys should take it easy and just share your info. Not wanting to blame anyone just want the thread to stay clean.

1969 Chevy LWB-SDPC 350, TH400, old farm truck
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/agronomya/

2006 Nissan Altima-For my 2000 miles a month

Last edited by agronomya; 01-19-2007 at 05:24 PM.
agronomya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #31
smitty62

FWIW......I am not a young man and I have made it a practice for many years to never deal with anyone that (A)runs down their competition or (B) uses religion to sell anything.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #32
ChevyDude

Never anywhere did I call you an idiot. You said RNO was the only real competition....I replied. BASF makes LNX material.

My sincere apologies for getting you upset, that was not my intention. Now I will try to bow out...as I said Spray what you want, it's your truck.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-19-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #33
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by agronomya View Post
I must say, you've pretty much got me sold on GatorHyde. The closest dealer I found on the website is Shattuck, OK. Which is 4 hours away and I don't trust my truck that much to make that drive right now. So it looks like I'll probably have to settle for second class unless ChevyDude wants to come and spray it for me.

ChevyDude-Can you tell me which would be best out of Ultimate, Reflex, or the PolyTech (I think thats right) liners? Thanks.

AA

P.S. This whole thread changed (Shifty VS ChevyDude) while I was writin this. You guys should take it easy and just share your info. Not wanting to blame anyone just want the thread to stay clean.

I have heard good things from a customer that he liked the Reflex liner. Best thing to do is ask them if it is a Hybrid: Polyurethane/Polyurea and apllied hot. These are the best formulas, IMO.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #34
chopper103in

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Easy. When you have a spray in bedliner, and it peels, bubbles, flakes or cracks and your truck gets damaged when they gotta scrape the old one out to respray a new one, then any leftovers make the new one bubble and crack...any number of things can go wrong.

I would rather have a product that is tested and proven solid for a decade or more that I know I will never need to exercise the warranty with, than to have a product I don't know with a lifetime warranty and be left to worry "what if" I need to cash in on the warranty and what are the side effects?

Claiming lifetime warranty is one thing. Be sure to read the fine print - What happens if you neeed to exercise the warranty? Do they give you the money back and you get to find a way to scrape out their product? Do they pay for removal, body work and a respray? Is there anything you can do to void the warranty? Lots of things to look at there. "lifetime warranty" can never be viewed as more important than the reputation and representation of a product.

im out of this one------later
chopper103in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #35
gyjackson

A friend of mine has a Line-X in his pick up and is well pleased (nearly 6 years old)..It looks great and is really thick. I have seen him haul everything from rocks to big blocks and after a quick trip to the carwash it still looks new.
'02 Black Z-71 burb..(wife's)
'92 Accord (daughter's)....Who want's my insurance bill?
gyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #36
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

I highly recomend Rhino Linning, a buddies dad got Line-x and had a preatty bad experience. Lots of bubbling, he had to take it back 4 times to correct their mistakes. Its also a possibility that the staff there was just a bunch of idiots, in either case I personally vouch for rhino.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #37
mnunn454

Listening in, I'm learning a lot about various products. Thanks.

What about surface prep? My bed's in great shape. But like most, it hasn't had ANY maintenance for 40 years, so it has some surface rust. Must this or the remaining few spots of paint be removed before applying any liner product? Or can the liner product just be applied over everything ad long as it's clean?
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe

Last edited by mnunn454; 01-20-2007 at 09:11 AM.
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #38
see ten
WTB this ad

Well, I never heard of Gatorhyde either. It also looks like there isn't a dealer of it within a days drive of where I live. Around here about all you see is Rhino, LineX and Zolatone. Anywho I have a liner and it lets me haul stuff without it sliding around. Did I buy the best? Who knows, but it's better than the alternative of skinning my bed all to hell.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #39
1 Low 70

I have to vote for Line-X. My brother's 2003 Chevy HD has had a LineX liner in it since new and it has shown no signs of wear or discoloration. His truck is used regularly to haul all kinds of junk and the LineX does the trick.
1 Low 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #40
Dr. Drop

Bedliners are bedliners. You have the low pressure, cold spray, like Rhino and then there is the high pressure, hot spray like Line-x. The chemicals for hot spray liners are pretty much all the same. 2 parts mixed together A-side and b-side. The mixture comes out of a spray gun at about 170 degrees at a very high pressure. It dries in about 8 to 10 seconds. The real secret about bed liners is the prep, just like a custom paint job. The texture is all up to the sprayer. There are good ones and plenty of bad ones. The cost veries from place to place. But the cost of the materal stays the same. It depends on what profet the shop needs to make. Here in Portland under the rails is around $300 bucks and over the rails about $360. Anything over that and you are buying then steak and lobster dinners.
Dr. Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #41
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drop View Post
Bedliners are bedliners. You have the low pressure, cold spray, like Rhino and then there is the high pressure, hot spray like Line-x. The chemicals for hot spray liners are pretty much all the same. 2 parts mixed together A-side and b-side. The mixture comes out of a spray gun at about 170 degrees at a very high pressure. It dries in about 8 to 10 seconds. The real secret about bed liners is the prep, just like a custom paint job. The texture is all up to the sprayer. There are good ones and plenty of bad ones. The cost veries from place to place. But the cost of the materal stays the same. It depends on what profet the shop needs to make. Here in Portland under the rails is around $300 bucks and over the rails about $360. Anything over that and you are buying then steak and lobster dinners.

Dr Drop is close in general terms. However the amount of Polyurea and UV components within the formula is what increases the cost of the formula. I could buy "formula" (Part A and Part B) alot cheaper from someone other than GatorHyde. I don't because I want to Spray what I think is the best out there. Because my formula cost me more I only get Hamburger dinners, LOL! I spray at 150 degrees and 2250 psi and ours dries in 3-6 seconds, see very close! I agree with him that the prep is everything! Not so sure about the Steak dinners though...$399.99 is a good price in the Denver area, the "big two" charge a lot more that that. Texture is done at the end of the spray and PSI and distance that you stand back from the truck bed is how the texture is applied.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-21-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #42
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunn454 View Post
Listening in, I'm learning a lot about various products. Thanks.

What about surface prep? My bed's in great shape. But like most, it hasn't had ANY maintenance for 40 years, so it has some surface rust. Must this or the remaining few spots of paint be removed before applying any liner product? Or can the liner product just be applied over everything ad long as it's clean?
The truck bed is masked off and the wire tape is placed in the appropriate places. I use a 40 grit nylon cup brush the scuff the entire area to be sprayed. Anything that I can't get with the cup brush gets hand sanded. The entire line of the wire tape is hand sanded. Any rust I would try to remove it with the cup brush. Surface prep is the "not so Fun" part of the spray job. Sanding a bed takes about 30 min. After entire bed is sciffed up we blow the bed out throughly with air. The truck is in the booth and th exhaust fan is sucking out the paint/clear dust. Wait 5 min. then bed is blow out again. Then we wipe the entire area down with acetone. Blow bed out again. You are now clean and ready to spray.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-21-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #43
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

What I want is a liner that won’t fade. I’ve seen plenty that look like crap from fading. I also have seen a company that claims to have warranty against fading. But my experiences with warranties is it’s tough to prove the problem and if it’s covered or not.
I had a shop install some window tint (lifetime warranty) and it faded. The shop was out of business & I moved out of state. Basically the warranty wasn’t worth the paper it was written on.

I agree the prep work is what it’s all about. Its finding a shop that takes pride in doing it right is what its all about. And that’s hard to find these days. The owners/ managers will talk how good there product is (and it could be the best), but it’s the installers that make it happen.

ChevyDude what can be done with these spots in my bed I’m thinking of filling them with Devcon and forming it to look uniform. Then spray in a liner. What’s your thought? Any dealers in Albuquerque that you know of?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #44
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
ChevyDude what can be done with these spots in my bed I’m thinking of filling them with Devcon and forming it to look uniform. Then spray in a liner. What’s your thought? Any dealers in Albuquerque that you know of?
s/t
What spots are you reffering to? Tell me more about Devcon, I'm not familiar with it. No GH shop in New Mexico, sorry.

http://www.gatorhyde.com/installers.html

Below is a very informative article all about bed liners. It is written by Tripp Ishmael who has been in the Elastomer biz for an long time and background is chemistry. Of course, Elastomer Specialties/ GH is in the biz to sell material and dealerships, but there is some good information that tries to explain some differences.
http://www.gatorhyde.com/docs/SprayI...s_TheTruth.pdf

Alex

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-21-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #45
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Sorry I forgot to post the picture!
Devcon is a two part epoxy wont shrink and is very tuff.
Thanks for the reply.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 10-04-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #46
ChevyDude

I would say GH would go over those areas after you filled them, just fine. We have a special primer, for coating over fiberglass and resin type material, which I would apply to the expoxied area prior to spraying. Make sure all is dry prior to filling those holes. I have been spraying Hockey stick blades where you noramlly would tape the blade. Makes for a really grippy hockey stick, really enables you to lift the puck. I have done this over fiberglass sticks with great success, GH bonds very well to fiberglass.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #47
Southedisto
River life......

I had rhino lining in my old truck, I was very dissatisfied with the product. I dont know if it was the dealer or what, but it peeled off easily, faded quickly, and wasnt very slip reistant when wet. I even sent an email to corporate and had no reply from them. Also, had another dealer that was local that said he would fix it, but it wouldnt be free.

If I pay to get another one, it will be line-x.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #48
75Chevy90Kawi
the green machine

my dad and i both have linex and both love it. he's got it on his 05 dodge, and me on my 75. it cost me $500 to do the 8 foot bed
My pictures
75Chevy90Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #49
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Never anywhere did I call you an idiot. You said RNO was the only real competition....I replied. BASF makes LNX material.
Just for the sake of record:

Quote:
Those are some pretty big statements. It shows that you are NOT informed.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiot

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

I suppose "ignorant" would have been the better choice of words to describe what you implied I was, but that's the tough part about inferrence and posting when you're hotheaded.

Quote:
... but to say RNO is their only REAL competition, is just lame.
I don't think I really read into much there. There's no need to You printed it pretty clearly - I am lame because I make lame statements, per yourself.

If there were ever a chance that I would have used or recommended Gator Hyde as a product to anyone, that one went out the window when you made such inflammatory statements towards me. Now all I know to tell everyone is, "I knew a Gatorhyde dealer ... he was a real jerk to me for telling people my experience, and the guy didn't even know me".

Last edited by shifty; 01-21-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #50
ChevyDude

WOW Shifty...OK, fine with me.

I guess when I wrote "I was sincerley sorry for upsetting you" went out the window too? That's fine. Ya can't win everyone....and did you just call me a jerk???? Wow shifty...and you say I was to one slinging the verbage. It's really easy to mis-interpet things when there is only type that is there to read. I meant no personal attack, you took it personal. Dude, I never said YOU were lame, I meant the STATEMENT is lame. Sorry if that upset you. Lets's don't continue this OK...I don't want to be part of it anymore.

It's all fine by me...can we let this one die now? You won...I won't be selling any GH in Atlanta and you can tell everyone I'm a jerk. Again, I am sincerely sorry this went down this road and I made you upset. You don't play hockey do you?

Alex

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-22-2007 at 01:17 PM.