The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
shifty
Questionable

Re: Ethanol and Flex Fuels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in my post above. Figure out YOUR miles per DOLLAR. It is ALWAYS less efficient to use E85.
But, let's stop thinking about this with blinders. Think about it from the perspective of:

We can make our own here in the USA.
We can curb the need to step outside our borders for fuel.
All that money stays inside our country.

The ideal of "I don't want to pay 4% more for something that is cleaner burning and benefits our country and livelihood" is the same general ideal that has basically decimated our USA steel industry, which is practically non-existant. People would rather buy cheap steel from Asia instead.

I think ethanol may not be "the" solution right now, and chances are prices will go back down again once it gets well-rooted and better regulated. But the reality is, the system of standard gas and diesel we have now is just crippling us and I think it hurts things more than it fixes them.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #27
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
But, let's stop thinking about this with blinders. Think about it from the perspective of:

We can make our own here in the USA.
We can curb the need to step outside our borders for fuel.
All that money stays inside our country.

The ideal of "I don't want to pay 4% more for something that is cleaner burning and benefits our country and livelihood" is the same general ideal that has basically decimated our USA steel industry, which is practically non-existant. People would rather buy cheap steel from Asia instead.

I think ethanol may not be "the" solution right now, and chances are prices will go back down again once it gets well-rooted and better regulated. But the reality is, the system of standard gas and diesel we have now is just crippling us and I think it hurts things more than it fixes them.
My thinking is far from having blinders on.
Minnesota is one of the leading producers of ethanol in this country. In fact there is getting to be a shortage of corn around here. Have you seen the price per bushel in St. Paul recently? It is more than double from this time last year.
You can't swing a dead cat in farm country without hitting a group of farmers proposing an ethanol plant.
Some areas in the state are running out of fresh water from the demand on the local supply that ethanol plants put on the system. Keep in mind this is the land of 10,000 lakes.
I've heard recently that the seed for next years crop is 20% oversold. In other words only 80% of the farmers who are planning on growing corn this spring will be able to get their hands on seed.
Cash rent is up on farm land. People from SD are driving the price up in ND thinking they will get a crop off regardless of the short growing season up there.
Folks aren't giving away feeder cattle yet but it is getting close. That is because you're better off selling your corn to the ethanol plant than feeding it to your steers. Which of course means you and I will be paying more for steaks in the near future.

My next daily driver will be a flex fuel vehicle. That way I can take advantage of what is best for my family, me, and my country. In that order.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #28
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

You guys should read the articles at this site. http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ The guys a little over the top, but most of what he has in there is fact based data. Also I've tried the Acetone, 2 stroke top end lube xylene mix and consistantly got almost double my gas milage (from 7-8 MPG to a little over 14) in my 71 C-10 with a 350, 680 dominator on it. This was before they brought e90 into the Houston area. After using the e90 and the mix my mileage went down to @ 10 MPG. I've got a 97 Toyota Tercel with over 160,000 miles that I consistantly get over 28 MPG using a 4/2/4/mix of Acetone ,lube and xylene, thats using what ever at the pumps, which may or may not be e90, you just don't know what your getting.
My take on it is your swapping one evil for another. The end result needs to be OTHER alternative fuels than fossil/alcohol based. I've raced alcohol fueled cars for over 10 years and it ain't easy keeping those running. When you get them tuned in right, they run great. But just leaving a couple of gallons of straight alcohol in the fuel system of a race car even for a few days and good luck getting it to start and run good. You have to clean the filters, tank, carb lines and theres always moisture to deal with.
I don't pretend to be an expert or even claim to know a great deal about ethanol based fuels, just what I've personally experienced in the past.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I was watching Modern Marvels on History channel last night and they showed that switchgrass yielded almost 1,300 gallons per acre, and corn was like 400 gallons per acre.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #30
shifty
Questionable

Switchgrass is a much better alternative to corn and grows abundantly in the US.

It upsets me to hear about corn having such problems - but it's great that it's booming. There are many other alternatives, and people will figure it out.

Also, as stated previously, you can make alcohol out of fermenting almost anything, and we could no dobut produce hundreds of thousands of gallons of ethanol each year from the leftovers of beer breweries - think of what we could get out of Anheuser Busch alone (DRINK BEER FOR AMERICAN FUEL INDEPENDENCE! )

I'd drink a beer with dinner evernight to boost our chances of fuel independece

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-25-2007 at 03:20 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #31
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I'm very supportive of ethanol production for many of the reasons stated above.
I've heard lately that the total cost (environmental and cash) is too much when you figure that to make ethanol you still have to burn coal. So we trade oil consumption for coal consumption, either way it isn't renewable.
My minivan is flexfuel. I'd buy another one. But we still don't have e-85 available out here is the sticks of SE Colorado.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #32
hawaiianblue72

This is a great thread. We have an Ethanol Plant being built about 10 miles from my home. I hope to get a job at this plant (hopefully). It will bring about 40-50 badly needed jobs to this area that has lost many factory jobs (IH Plow/Planter Plant) and coal mining jobs. Plus it will help farmers who raise corn and cattle. I think anything we can do to cut the use of foreign oil is great. Thanks for all the great info.
hawaiianblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #33
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I was watching Modern Marvels on History channel last night and they showed that switchgrass yielded almost 1,300 gallons per acre, and corn was like 400 gallons per acre.
I have seen that show. Good info. Also my 2 cents is that ethanol ALONE will not solve this issue. But its a good place to start.

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #34
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokie View Post
I have seen that show. Good info. Also my 2 cents is that ethanol ALONE will not solve this issue. But its a good place to start.
They also showed geothermal energy and wind power to create electricity. It was awesome. I missed portions of it, I hope it's on again soon.

Another thing was rechargable electric/gas hybrids that got 100 mpg and didn't even use gas until it was above 35 mph.... and an idea to recharge them... a solar panel parking deck so the owners could plug in while at work!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 01-25-2007 at 04:13 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #35
hawaiianblue72

Have you seen anything about the Chevy Volt? This looks like an exciting Car. It looks cool and is a plug in electric car.
hawaiianblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #36
jimmydean

I would gladly pay double for a renewable resource. That is my thinking behind converting my truck as soon as it's available locally. If my truck runs a little worse, then I will tune it a little better.

If a BioDiesel car can win a race, then my truck can be fun to drive on E85. It just might take a lot of work (but what doesn't on this project, right?)

<edit> For those who didn't hear, it was running Bio:

Fuel economy spurs Audi diesel to victory

Posted Oct 23rd 2006

Admitting they didn't have the fastest car in the field, Audi drivers Dindo Capello and Allan McNish relied on the fuel economy of their diesel-powered R10 to win the season-ending American Le Mans race at Laguna Seca over the weekend. The team moved into the lead when early front-runners had to pit. After recovering from stop-and-go penalty for causing an accident, the team pitted with a third of the race remaining, hoping the engine's fuel economy would go the distance. The Audi regained the lead when the rest of the field had to pit for the last time and ended up racing for 90 minutes on one tank of diesel fuel. Audi has won every race this season.

Last edited by jimmydean; 01-25-2007 at 06:43 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #37
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

I just don't want my vehicle's exhaust to smell like French Fries. I'm fat enough already without having the urge to drive-thru McD's every time I go somewhere.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #38
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianblue72 View Post
Have you seen anything about the Chevy Volt? This looks like an exciting Car. It looks cool and is a plug in electric car.
that thing's gonna be cool! runs for the first 40 miles on electricity alone, then gas generator kicks on. catch is that about 75-80% of us don't drive more than that to work every day...that means you don't even use gas!

our new building that we will be moving into next month is a LEED certified building, and in order to earn some of the points, they had to put plug-in stations for plug-in hybrids. the cool part? it's front-row-joe parking...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote