The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Re: I "thought" I had good throttle response.

The singing F1 engine is funny.

Its insane the amount of power these things make out of such small engines.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #27
RetroSBK

Top fuel engines are the most impressive by far...

Push rod engines as a whole are way outdated, however, that being said...

A current top fuel engine makes over 8000hp out of 500cu/in. They have a fixed overdrive on the blower (used to be 35%, but havent played in that area for a while now) and a fixed final drive ratio, with no trans (direct drive with centrifical clutch) In 2002 they would regularly rev a top fuel engine over 10,000 rpm. They HAVE to rev higher all the time as the final drive ratio is fixed, and the tire size is fixed. Has been since about 99. The increase of 40mph in top speed since then is ALL RPM related...

Ive seen pushrod motors run on the Spintron over 12k, but you couldnt believe how imprecise the parts get at that speed.
1970 C10, shortened long bed, Alum Headed full roller 383 (with Victor, 750DP, stainless rockers, behive springs, CNC ported heads) TCI SSF 700R4, 4.10 Posi, Bagged on C-Notch and 2.5 spindles. Air Cond, black out tint, satin black paint, custom interior, rolling low and not so slow...
RetroSBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #28
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I guess since we were talking about car engines I thought everyone would assume we were talking about cars
Fair enough, I guess since I own bikes as well as cars when talkin' engines I think all engines including weed whackers. although I didn't mention my Nova rossi nitro burning 2-stroke that'll spin up to 43,000.

Quote:
If you can find me a conventional V8, v10, v12 (again not F1) that spins over 9K rpm then I'll be impressed.
By conventional I assume you mean a pushrod motor? Then yes, most top nascar and drag teams are are up around the ton and I believe they are still using pushrods.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #29
watahyahknow

i believe f1 engines where limited to 3,5 litre turboengines where restricted i think it was in the inlet and the amount of liters to lessen the advantage .
threy use the stortest trow possible to prevent the crank from flying apart under the stress

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #30
bigjimzlll

[QUOTE=70rs/ss;2011316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEET72 View Post
Modern production sportbikes all have redlines well over 9k. My '01 1200 Bandit (which is classified as a standard) reds at 11,000. The 06 Yamaha R6; quoting Barry Winfield @ motosavvy.comThe R6 weighs in around 420lbs

All piston engines.

I guess since we were talking about car engines I thought everyone would assume we were talking about cars, but I later mentioned v8, Nascar, and drag racing and threw in the part about bikes (aknowledging stock CBR's and the like spin to 12k rpm). A V8, V10 (not F1) maxes at about 9k rpm. If you can find me a conventional V8, v10, v12 (again not F1) that spins over 9K rpm then I'll be impressed. From what I got from the F1 stuff is that they are super small displacements (smaller parts means lighter) like V10-12's with 3.0 liters. Are they like 12 cylinder weed wackers? My weed wacker spins like 15-20,000 rpm X's 12 still wouldn't be impressive in a car. All joking aside, a V10 that dispaces 2 or 3 litres, the pistons must be pretty small and then that makes sense.
Comp eliminator sportsman drag racing engines turn 10-11,000 rpm. They are 331Ci and less and put out close to 900HP.
NHRA pro stock engines 500CI run at or above 10,000rpm. These engines are naturally asperiated and must run carburetors on race gasoline.

To keep raizing the bar of performance, with all of the limits of the class,the only way is to keep spinning them higher and higher. With the invention of better materials and machineing it allows them to keep pushing the limit of RPM's

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA

Last edited by bigjimzlll; 02-01-2007 at 11:01 AM.
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #31
70rs/ss

They're up that high? I lokked at Wikipedia cause someone linked it and it said the top fuelers were running 500 ci @ 8,000 rpm. It doesn't shock I guess with the amount of money and research thrown into racing engines that they would break 10k rpm's or higher. I am dying to hear more about the 80's hotrod that burried the needle on a 12k tach though, anyone else with me
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #32
watahyahknow

Quote:
I am dying to hear more about the 80's hotrod that burried the needle on a 12k tach though, anyone else with me
could happen if he got it back in first gear at 100 mph and popped the clutch , maybe even longer then 2 whole seconds .

there are however lotus seven replica's here powered by hayabusa engines that could work at those rpm's

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #33
1968SWBBigBlock

OK - here is the poop on the 12K small block - it was real - I announced for 5 years at Pacemakers Dragway in Mount Vernon Ohio, 2 years for WJMR radio at the NHRA Spring nationals and worked at the NHRA bracket finals in Indy & the U.S.Nationals. The car had a destroked 302 small block, he raced NHRA Super Stock, I think A modified stick. I do not remember who built the motor but in speaking with the owner the dollar figure was around 30K to build the engine. Lots of dough for back then. He would stage the car floor it and pop the clutch, carry the front wheels thru the 60' beams. The tach was a Moroso monster tach, an early one, that he quit using because on launch the needle was buried - really of no use.
For all of the motors I have heard over the years I always looked forward to this car, it simply screamed on the starting line but never missed a beat. When I announced I always called special attention to this car since I knew it would lift the wheels high and carry them with that great sounding small block pegged to the floor. I will look thru some old pics and see if I have one of this car, if so I will post it.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #34
watahyahknow

whell maybe i do need to eat crow now .
the 302 allready where high revin engines destroke it and you take a lot of rotating mass out of the engine just like with the f1 engines .
still must have been one h'll of an enginebuilder to make it so it stayed in one piece i'm thinking billet crank oliver rods superlight pistons realy big ports and cam , for sure it had cost money , dont think they would do it again nowadays unless there's some loophole in the rules that will make it a real advantage

Last edited by watahyahknow; 02-01-2007 at 06:40 PM.