The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #26
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Re: trans removal - HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi121v View Post
I used an engine hoist. Went in through the passenger side. It was totally painless. Easy one man opperation.
That is so simple it's genius! I'll use that idea next time.
I've always resorted to the old block of wood on the floor jack trick. It works ok with two people but a nightmare by yourself. There is nothing like laying in a pool of burnt tranny fluid. While you use a wrench on the bell housing bolts with one hand. While the other balances the tranny on the floor jack. As you simultaneously operate the jack handle with your foot. Good times
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
Toddski

Thanks for the help guys, this is really great. Unfortunately I've had a bad case of the Flu for the past week and haven't been able to wrench on my truck. I hope to be in good enough shape to get after it again tomorrow.
OrrieG - My SM465 is a manual so no torque converter. Thanks for the photo diagram.
Mudmizer - I removed 4 bolts that hold the bellhousing to the block, but from what I'm hearing their should be 6. Not sure how to remove the bellhousing from the 465 without pulling it from the block. I need to replace the clutch anyway (my whole reason for pulling the tranny).
Toddski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
Toddski

Well I found two other bolts near the top of the bellhousing holding it to the block. Once I got those out the tranny came out. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Toddski is offline   Reply With Quote