The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Twisted Minis

Re: my new back half (pics)

I always like to keep the bag centered over the link bar. When the bag is offset it tries to push against the bushings, and with enough weight or a large enough ratio it destroys the bushings. I have a picture of a truck I fixed that had been bagged for about 6 months that wore the bushing all the way to the outer sleeve because it was setup this way.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #27
revn67

i definitely like the setup and i would add more gussets to the areas already stated...i think i would also cap the ends of the square tube at the back of the frame so water and other road grime wouldn't make its way in there and overtime create some rust issues.....other than that, its an awesome looking backhalf and it'll look killer all smoothed and painted!!

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #28
long71
clean concepts

thanks for the help guys... the bag mounts are fully closed in and the frame rails are capped off. im contemplating moving the bags to an over the axle setup. after all the advise, the bag placement seems to be stirring up the most negative feedback...

any ideas (before i paint it)
long71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #29
Twisted Minis

If you go over axle, I would just run sleeve bags. They ride better than a convoluted bag. There are tricks to make a convoluted ride better when mounted to the axle, but probably more work than you want to go through. I would think it wouldn't be that hard to just move the mounts in towards the frame about 2 inches? I mean I know it would suck, cutting all that stuff, but you have to cut it if you go over axle anyways. The ride will be better if you don't want to buy more stuff.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
bmeredith
beer 1st, work 2nd

any updates yet? how's the bed mounting coming?
bmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #31
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
If you go over axle, I would just run sleeve bags. They ride better than a convoluted bag. There are tricks to make a convoluted ride better when mounted to the axle, but probably more work than you want to go through. I would think it wouldn't be that hard to just move the mounts in towards the frame about 2 inches? I mean I know it would suck, cutting all that stuff, but you have to cut it if you go over axle anyways. The ride will be better if you don't want to buy more stuff.
I'd be interested in knowing some of these tricks you speak of, I'm using d2600 bags and am debating an over axle setup vers canti-levers... If you don't mind pm'ing them to me or put it on my build as to not take his... My post is in my siggy

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #32
Primer70
Superbad

I'd remove the upper & lower bag mounts & place them inboard more to center the bag on the lower link bar. Don't put the bags on the axle housing, it makes the tuck ride like is at the full locked up position all the time.
Primer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #33
fixit-p

Has anyone ever considered building a lower link like this. It would help eliminate the twisting effect and strenthen such a long lever.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Link bar Model (1).pdf (3.8 KB, 131 views)
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
ibad57

Just to add my 2 cents for what that's worth in the pic with upper axel links
for clearance and less drive shaft twist wouldn't you want green lines all the same height?
second pic i think a small plate across link supports on axel could use some kind of plate for twist
Just adding idea's hopefully makes sence
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #35
Twisted Minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
Has anyone ever considered building a lower link like this. It would help eliminate the twisting effect and strenthen such a long lever.
If anything that will create binding during articulation. It would be better to simply center the bag on the bar in the first place.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #36
fixit-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
If anything that will create binding during articulation. It would be better to simply center the bag on the bar in the first place.
I see your point correct me if I'm wrong but the way I outlined it the front of the lower arms would be to rigid and transfer all the twisting motion when articulated to the rear end and mounting brackets. thanks for the feed back.
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote