The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #26
edmonton72
Nothings as cool as my 72

Re: Late model seat ideas ?

I just ordered them last week, so I should get them in about a month because they make the seats when you order them. You can get them with options like lumbar, power lumbar, heaters and messagers. They also sell three point seat belts which I ordered as well.
Rolling chassis finally done and cab mounted. Now onto sanding, bondo and more sanding.
edmonton72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #27
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
I did as well, right up until I actually installed 'em and drove around for a couple weeks.

IMHO, the back is to thick which makes you sit to close to the steering wheel.

Mods can be done, remove the tank so the seat can slide back or move the steering column closer to the dash to accommodate the new seats or even both but as far as being comfy without mods, it just didn't work for me.

*I hope everyone installing these integrated shoulder belt seats understands that the floors in these old trucks are not designed for these kind of safety restraints!!
The forces put on the front mounts are huge if you have a frontal impact and without modification the floor will give way and cantilever you right into the dash.

Sorry to be so grim but that's the facts.

I've had these style seats in both a '70 truck and a '72 burb and when I heard about this safety issue, I went back to using the stock lap belts instead of the integrated should belts.
Thanks for the tips. I do have an ECE frame mount tank ready to go on my truck and plan to remove the in-cab tank before installing the seats. I am aware of the floor strength problem and plan to reinforce the floor as well. I recently saw a thread on here that showed how to push the steering column closer to the dash ,so that is an option for me too if I feel the steering wheel is to close after the seat install. I'm a big guy at 6'3", weigh 260 and of course have the middle age ponch and have sat in these seats in the newer trucks and I've found them quite comfy for me. I also like the seats in Bill72BB's truck on this thread and would consider those if the ones I have wont work for me.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 03-30-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #28
shifty
Questionable

You really cannot beat the '99-'06/'99-05 Sierra/Silverado seats for comfort. I don't know if GM realized it, but not only did they start producing one hell of an engine for these trucks, they also produced a hell of a seat as well.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #29
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Thanks for the tips. I do have an ECE frame mount tank ready to go on my truck and plan to remove the in-cab tank before installing the seats. I am aware of the floor strength problem and plan to reinforce the floor as well. I recently saw a thread on here that showed how to push the steering column closer to the dash ,so that is an option for me too if I feel the steering wheel is to close after the seat install. I'm a big guy at 6'3", weigh 260 and of course have the middle age ponch and have sat in these seats in the newer trucks and I've found them quite comfy for me. I also like the seats in
Bill72BB's truck on this thread and would consider those if the ones I have wont work for me.
Great to hear, sounds like your on your way to a comfy (and safe) ride.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #30
spdrcr29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo181979 View Post
spdrcr29 where did you get that cover at I want one like that but a bit different.
http://www.ricksupholstery.com/

But call them by phone.... I tried for about 3 days to get the "contact us" part to work before I just gave up and dialed.... I'm a slow learner, what can I say
spdrcr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #31
bowtieboy93

i found nothing nicer than buckets from a 95-98 chevy take out the headrests they come just below the rear window they are 23 inches wide giving you a 16 inch wide centre console 23 inches front to back which is about the door handle and 12 inches high which is beautiful.its what is going in my truck im actualy gonna build a centre console outta sheet metal.
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #32
lucky13csa

Hey Bill72BB, what year are those silverado seats? Do they come in leather? How much do they run around in the yard these days? Anything else similar? How did you do the brackets for mounting them? I really like those seats. Thanks. Later.
lucky13csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #33
RLTAutoTeacher

One more for the thread!
I'm 5'11", 170#. I would be 6' even if it wasn't for my bad back. I looked long and hard to find seats that would be easy on the back and eye. I finally settled for a 60/40 from a 99 Ford F150. It sits low enough and far enough back that I'm not on top of the wheel. I don't know how well it would work if I hadn't moved the tank to the rear, but it works great for me! It also has a lumbar support that I can adjust on long drives. I made the mounting brackets. They could be prettier, and I may go back later to make the so. Or I was thinking that after I get the carpet and interior finished, I may just make a cover for them. A local shop in Lewisville did the upholstry work. I'll go back to him if I do the covers. Haven't decided yet.
Oh ya! If I slide the seat forward and recline, I can get gangsta. I just choose not to!
Name:  IMAG0001.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0002.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 03-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #34
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Lucky; here is an earlier tread that may help, if you have any other ? just PM , me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=134665

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13csa View Post
Hey Bill72BB, what year are those silverado seats? Do they come in leather? How much do they run around in the yard these days? Anything else similar? How did you do the brackets for mounting them? I really like those seats. Thanks. Later.
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote