The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #26
boatpuller

Re: pics of fuse block wiring cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
It doesn't look to bad, boatpuller. It does clean up the spagetti of wiring. One suggestion would be to run the wiring into the underside of the cover instead of through the sides to clean up the sides of the cover. (Between your "clothes dryer vent" cover and N2s "aardvark's" air cover, those images are ingrained in me. )

One idea is to push the fuse box all the way through to the interior side of the firewall and mount it with some spacers. Then, use some plate metal (to conceal the fuse box hole) with thru-holes/grommets for the wiring. It would depend on the amount of excess leads on the wiring to make it happen.

The molded fiberglass cover and the hammer/buck form aluminum cover both sound like good ideas.

I agree, that it's all in the details...
i thought about trying to come in from the bottom.but,if you look at the precover pic my wire's go east and west with not much slack to play with.you don't see the sides of that cover unless your looking straight down the firewall.i'll get a pic of the whole firewall,when sun comes out.(weatherman's saying mid july) and you'll see it's small and just fades to black. if i was in the stage of build where i was wiring i'd do your inside mount,then grommet idea.one of my future pipe dreams is a new painless wiring harness.then i'll do something different. when i yerked out that wiper motor, and with hydro boost that naked fuse block stuck out like that baboon's red and blue butt at the zoo.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #27
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My 84 is chromed out and AI took all of the wiring that ran across the motor and put it down into the frame, then it comes out at the appropriate points for the accessories that it feeds to. I did keep the original brackets and the A/C unit, I wish I had not now, but my plans have gone another route for the next truck. The radiator is an aluminum one from "Be Cool" with two 11" electric fans, then polished aluminum pulleys and chrome vlave covers centered with the Endurashine intake and water pump from Edelbrock. I then polished the aluminum A/C lines and accumulator, as well as the brake booster. The master cylinder is trimmed with a Stainless steel cover that I made and the battery is covered with dark tinted lexan. The brackets for the carb, power steering and small accessories is powder coated in a silver metal flake. The inner fender walls are covered with stainless steel sheeting, as well as the cover for the firewall electric plug being polished.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #28
benoit454
Chris

Ok guys, stop telling us how nice your stuff is.....

AND SHOW US!!!!!!!

You guys got me dying to see the nice cleaned up pictures of the wiring, also got me wanting to go out on the bone stock 84 and start yanking stuff and cleaning it up!!!

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
bigblock73
yeller

Here are some pics of mine, I have made more progress but need to take more pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 04-11-2007 at 09:20 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #30
boatpuller

jeff,thats gonna be so sweet...you do nice work
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #31
benoit454
Chris

Man that's really nice I love that, it's my favorite color too!!!

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #32
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Dumb question for Jeff, but is that the factory mounting location for the ICM and Coil? My truck was HEI equipped so I never had a coil or an ICM, but if that was your own idea, I have to say, that is VERY impressive!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #33
Russell
Professional Grade

Looks good Jeff! What are you plans for heating?

And I love the idea presented in the first post -- You can be sure I'll be doing the same on my truck

Last edited by Russell; 04-12-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #34
bigblock73
yeller

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The ignition box and coil are definately not stock. I chose to mount them on the inside of the firewall under the dash...to clean things up. I ran a terminal thru the firewall just behind the distributor, so I could get the power to it from inside the cab. I am not a fan of bolting aftermarket goodies like this in plain sight, too much distraction IMO.

Since my truck will never see a snowflake in its life (ie not driven in the winter), I removed the heater box and A/C. I never cared for the looks of the factory setup, and cannot afford an aftermarket heater/AC setup...so I yanked them. I will however, be installing seat heaters in my factory buckets...for those cooler spring and fall days/evenings.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #35
benoit454
Chris

I'm in the same boat on my monte carlo, the heater is long gone, and the big old box was ugly anyways. They made a non a/c setup but thoose boxes are like gold, if you find one they want $200 or more for it.

Mine never sees snow either but when it's cool or rainy and you get caught with no heater it sucks. I plan to fab my own blower motor housing and heater core housing from aluminum to mount them then run the wiring, and relay's what not to control it. I don't plan on reusing the factory switch and controls because I have my uages mounted where it was, so I'm thinking simply switch for high only. Then use relays or whatever to avoid overload or burnouts on the switch or wiring.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #36
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
I'm in the same boat on my monte carlo, the heater is long gone, and the big old box was ugly anyways. They made a non a/c setup but thoose boxes are like gold, if you find one they want $200 or more for it.

Mine never sees snow either but when it's cool or rainy and you get caught with no heater it sucks. I plan to fab my own blower motor housing and heater core housing from aluminum to mount them then run the wiring, and relay's what not to control it. I don't plan on reusing the factory switch and controls because I have my uages mounted where it was, so I'm thinking simply switch for high only. Then use relays or whatever to avoid overload or burnouts on the switch or wiring.
ever see one of these? i considered it before i went vintage air route.kinda spendy.but looks good.they make em for our trucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-69...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
jr2

My original heater box ins't very big?

It does still have the heater core in the original location so the hoses and wiring hang out but it is pretty clean. I'll get another shot of the hoses mounted up and the wires cleaned up.
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...

Last edited by jr2; 04-12-2007 at 01:26 PM.
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #38
jr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Here are some pics of mine, I have made more progress but need to take more pics.
Great looking job Jeff! Super Sano!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #39
benoit454
Chris

Yea the truck heater bozes are small I like them.

The ac ones are big, and the one I was talking about is in my monte carlo, that things almost as big as a dog house on a van.

Yes I have considered thoose heater boxes, ones for monte carlo are like $175 I think. That's almost as much as an original, but easier to find. I figure I'll make my own and save cash, if it turns out good then it'll be a head turner, and always get questions on how it was made or by who. I love when people do that, if not then I'll buy one of thoose and use it.

Also another option is the mojave heaters from summit, they are about $175 and it's a complete heater unit to mount under the dash, uses the engine coolant for heat, just like the vintage air ones, but it's heat only, even comes with brackets to mount it. Then you can fit it to your duct work or buy one of their ductwork kits.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,

Last edited by benoit454; 04-12-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #40
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
i thought about trying to come in from the bottom.but,if you look at the precover pic my wire's go east and west with not much slack to play with.you don't see the sides of that cover unless your looking straight down the firewall.
That's what I kinda figured.
I bet it still looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
i'll get a pic of the whole firewall,when sun comes out.(weatherman's saying mid july) and you'll see it's small and just fades to black. if i was in the stage of build where i was wiring i'd do your inside mount,then grommet idea.one of my future pipe dreams is a new painless wiring harness.then i'll do something different. when i yerked out that wiper motor, and with hydro boost that naked fuse block stuck out like that baboon's red and blue butt at the zoo.
You're killing me.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #41
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Jeff -

That's looking real good. A-1
Keep it up.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #42
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
My 84 is chromed out and AI took all of the wiring that ran across the motor and put it down into the frame, then it comes out at the appropriate points for the accessories that it feeds to. I did keep the original brackets and the A/C unit, I wish I had not now, but my plans have gone another route for the next truck. The radiator is an aluminum one from "Be Cool" with two 11" electric fans, then polished aluminum pulleys and chrome vlave covers centered with the Endurashine intake and water pump from Edelbrock. I then polished the aluminum A/C lines and accumulator, as well as the brake booster. The master cylinder is trimmed with a Stainless steel cover that I made and the battery is covered with dark tinted lexan. The brackets for the carb, power steering and small accessories is powder coated in a silver metal flake. The inner fender walls are covered with stainless steel sheeting, as well as the cover for the firewall electric plug being polished.
Got any pics, piecesparts?

Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #43
jr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Got any pics, piecesparts?
What he said.. Please?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #44
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Give me some time--I am headed to the big swap meet (at the Woodlands dog track) in KC this weekend and I will get you what you need when I get back.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #45
jr2

BTT boys...

OK I got the cover done. It ain't no work of art but it get's the job done that I created it for. It attaches to the 2 E-brake bracket mounting studs in the firewall. I didn't have to drill any holes that way. Used some aluminum, box bent it and riveted the top 2 corners then polished.
Before:

After:

Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #46
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

nice you can now start selling them on ebay.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #47
jr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
nice you can now start selling them on ebay.
I don't have enough time in the day to sell em. Sure it would make money (maybe) but my time costs me a pretty penny when I can get it. I made some other hammer formed stuff a while back for my dads motorcycle and people said I should sell them too. Not enough time

Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #48
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

yea i hear yea never got enough time. Or money for parts::

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #49
marvxyz1

If you want to get better close up pics., try setting your digital camera to the macro setting!!!
marvxyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #50
benoit454
Chris

Nice work, I see you got heater hoses now, love thoose also very nice.

Great looking piece and great idea using exsisting studs to mount it. I think I may fab one up the same way but painted aluminum. I got some old flashing laying around or house soffet(sp?)

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,