The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2002, 05:49 PM   #26
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 70 Jimmy
Remember, teflon tape is used as a lubricant on the threads. IT IS NOT A SEALANT, though it does have some sealing properties. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people throw teflon tape on fittings and not tighten them down because " The tape will seal it up".
I prefer to use thread dope instead of teflon tape. It acts as both a lubricant and a sealer.

Also, when using the quick release fittings like the Prestolocks, I use a bushing in the end of the plastic line to keep it from bending or crushing at the fitting end... either of which will give you a bad seal. As I said earlier, my truck sat up for several months during a north Texas fall (cool mornings, hot afternoons-- lots of air density changes inside the system) a couple of years ago and it didn't lose ANY air whatsoever.

And... about the RideTech valves, they have the ability to "self clean" to some extent in that when the valve is opened, air pushes out through the orifice and can help keep it clean. A typical spool valve, when it kicks the axle one way or the other, can create buildup at those side-to-side stopping points if your air supply isn't nice and clean. And they are less able to self-clean because the air supply doesn't blow across these points, but rather it blows through the vanes on the axle itself.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:53 PM   #27
Shev
Head Peon

Just a few tidbits I've picked up...Teflon tape is a big no no in the world of air suspension, pieces can come lose and make valves stick open...I know Roadsurfer (Bill Dermond from Airlift) recommends using RTV on the pipe threads...A little goes a long way....
Old 09-19-2002, 06:12 PM   #28
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

That's interesting Shev. It will be OK if you make sure you clean old tape off and only tape the threads. The tape has a tendency to stretch over the orifice like saran rap and that's a big no, no. The RTV trick is probably for outdoor use. I work in a relatively clean environment so no worries there. Thread dope is good stuff and many fitting manufactures will have that already on the fittings.

Also, check the manufacturers recommendations on lubrication on the valves. Many valves nowdays don't require any oil and in fact some will experience premature failure if oiled. Use only recommended oil. Most companies don't bother will their own brand of lubricant so no price mark-up there. Most of the machines I work on run million cycle non-lubed valves for psi ratings up to 300#.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:48 PM   #29
jay-dawg
chevelito

sup guys,
that thread dope is the one that comes in a liquid form from a little bottle right?

If so, I did that on my s10 with no leaks.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:59 PM   #30
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

70 Jimmy: I've tried the soapy water trick before, but I must have missed some connections. I'll have to do it again after I clean off all the teflon tape and apply the pipe dope \

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I'll try to get you a part number for the valves. I bought them from AIM.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:20 PM   #31
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay-dawg
that thread dope is the one that comes in a liquid form from a little bottle right?
Yeah, it's usually a can with a brush built into the lid. It's gooey looking and tastes great on Ritz crackers. Wait... don't eat the stuff. I was kidding about that part!

Kenneth
Old 09-19-2002, 08:18 PM   #32
jay-dawg
chevelito

oh...mine came from squeeze tube (like toothpaste). I'll have to see if the local hardware store has it.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:24 PM   #33
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay-dawg
oh...mine came from squeeze tube (like toothpaste). I'll have to see if the local hardware store has it.
Could very well be the same stuff. I bought mine from a "commercial" supply house so I may have gotten the jumbo contractor size.

Kenneth
Old 09-20-2002, 07:33 PM   #34
Shane
Account Suspended

Hey XXL....you said that you bought 2 Thomas 315 compressors for $85.00 each.........where did you find them at this price??

Thanks!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:24 PM   #35
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
Hey XXL....you said that you bought 2 Thomas 315 compressors for $85.00 each.........where did you find them at this price??

Thanks!
I just dug through every receipt I could find and didn't see it. It's been a year or so... it was something like "Billet Wholesale" ??? I found them in Truckin'. I'll keep digging and let you know if I find the name of the place.

Kenneth
Old 09-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #36
Shane
Account Suspended

very much appreciated!! Thanks!!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote