The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2007, 05:05 AM   #26
82GMC4X4

Re: LMC Heavy Duty Headlight Harness Problems

I know I am jumping in here a little late, I am glad you god your lights working, I hate wiring crap like that, anywho. I was reading through all of this and somewhere in there you said that when you hit your high beams on, all four lights stayed on and you thought that was wrong, on my truck, if I turn on the high beams, all of them come on as well. Maybe I just read it wrong.
82GMC4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
84C10Chance

Thread Revive!! lol. I typed in something about the harness and this popped up.

Here was my issue. I bought this harness to hopefully fix the issue im having.

Alright, So i bought some 6k HIDs for the 84 and when plugged all up they only come on with the brights on. So i just unplugged the normals and left the brights plugged in. Well sometimes the bulb flickers and everything. Had them tested and they work just fine. The guy told me on those these old vehicles the wiring wasnt all that great and that i should just hook the lights up to some relays and straight to the battery. Well I was looking through the LMC catalog and notice they had a harness that does just exactly what the guy told me. So i bought the harness and it arrived today. Question is how does this work with turning the headlights on and off if its going straight to the battery?

Also, How in the hell do i get my reverse lights to come on when putting it reverse?? Ive tried adjusting it, But i see now way in adjusting the lever??
84C10Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
84C10Chance

Also the plug that suppose to go to the harness. Do you just simply plug it into the high plug? Or what??
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
WarBeard

Attached Images

1989 V2500 Suburban 350/400.. SOLD!
1974 C10 Custom10 LWB 350/350.. SOLD!
1974 C10 Custom10 SWB 350/400.. SOLD!
1999 Silverado Z71 LS1.. Wife's rig WRECKED!
On the hunt for a new project.......
I'm a Chevy guy.....I'm just not a "NEW" Chevy guy.
WarBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #30
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The trigger for the relays is the headlight circuit from the factory installed wiring. There should be a plug on the harness that fits either the low beam or the high beam headlight bulb plug or both of them. When you turn the headlights on, the relay will close and the power from the battery will go straight to the HID bulbs.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #31
84C10Chance

Well ive got the harness hooked up. And im getting the same problem as i was before with the HIDs. Heres a video to show what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGEaP...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #32
84C10Chance

Well ive got the harness hooked up. And im getting the same problem as i was before with the HIDs. Heres a video to show what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGEaP...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #33
beamn7

I got one of these harnesses and had to re-pin it as I was having similar issues. Turns out the plug for the harness that plugs into the low beam plug on the truck was pinned backwards as was all 4 of the headlight connectors. By the time I was done I could have just built my own (as I had originally planned)...oh well...

Incidentally, my 85 has all 4 headlights come on as well with the high beams on (both before and after this harness install) and by looking at the GM schematics, that is the way it is supposed to be. GM manual from 85 also shows low beams on top, high beams on bottom but, I've seen them both ways so, depends on who was working that day!
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
84C10Chance

Well, My bright come on when engaged and the brights go off when turned off. But when i installed the HIDs. I plugged them up to the low beams. Turned the headlights on and nothing. Turned on the brights and bam they came on along with the bottom lights. Turned the bright off and they went off. So i put my regular bulbs in and sure enough the system is working fine. So I'm assuming the HIDs are only meant for the high beams even though i got the low beam kit supposedly. But question still is why does only one wanna come on? The other trys but to no prevail it will not stay lit, as shown in the video. But like i said i got this harness to solve the issue. But its doing the exact same thing as it was without the harness. Im sure if i plug in the regular bulbs itll work just fine. But i got this HID kit so i can see better at night. And i didnt get the blue ones like all the ricers have. I got the white ones. lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84C10Chance View Post
Well, My bright come on when engaged and the brights go off when turned off. But when i installed the HIDs. I plugged them up to the low beams. Turned the headlights on and nothing. Turned on the brights and bam they came on along with the bottom lights. Turned the bright off and they went off. So i put my regular bulbs in and sure enough the system is working fine. So I'm assuming the HIDs are only meant for the high beams even though i got the low beam kit supposedly. But question still is why does only one wanna come on? The other trys but to no prevail it will not stay lit, as shown in the video. But like i said i got this harness to solve the issue. But its doing the exact same thing as it was without the harness. Im sure if i plug in the regular bulbs itll work just fine. But i got this HID kit so i can see better at night. And i didnt get the blue ones like all the ricers have. I got the white ones. lol.
I would have to ask, what brand are you using? I had a set from one company and when they were installed, I got a flickering effect and could not stop it. I finally sent that brand back to the company and purchased from another company called DDM Tuning. Their cost was much lower and they have a large writr-up on problems such as yours in their website. If youhave one that does not come on, it is probably due to the polarity of the bulb and if you reverse the plug to the HID bulb, it may work. That is discussed on the DDM website. The flickering or HALO effect can be due to a low voltage being available to the HID. I finally decided to go another route on my lights and now, I don't worry about it.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits

As for which light condition the lights come on (high or low beam) that is simple, just spend a little time figuring out where the trigger for your relays is being fed from in the lug point for the relayto factory headligt harness and then make it go to the one that you want to trigger the HIDs.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
84C10Chance

Could it be the headlight switch causing the problem?? OR do you think its the kit really? Passenger side light works without an issue. Not flickering or anything..
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #37
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Could it be the headlight switch causing the problem?? OR do you think its the kit really? Passenger side light works without an issue. Not flickering or anything..
The headlight switch has one job and that is to send electrical power to the headlights. If you have voltage at the end that normally plugs into the head lights, then it is doing it's job. The high beam switch (dimmer switch to us old folks) has th e job of selecting which headlights are lit up. If your HIDs only come on with the high beam, then this would be the fact that you have the HIDs connected to the highbeam headlight plug.

The fact that you have ONLY one HID lighting up, that is tied to the HID quality and possibly the fact that the one that is not lighting needs the plug on the HID bulb reversed, so that it's polarity is right. Once again I suggest opening the DDM Tuning website and read their information on HID problems and how t osolve the issues.

Remember, you have a headlight bulb that cost many dollars less than what the factory systems are in many of the high-end cars (Mercedes, Volvo, GM, Dodge, etc...) and the quality is just what you pay for.

Your flickering issue is either a bad polarity issue or voltage is not proper, or the bulb is bad. See the information link below:

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...d=1&parentid=0
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #38
84C10Chance

Well i just switched the ballasts. And it was the ballast that went bad. I have the HIDs plugged into the low beams but they dont come on. Now when i turn the brights on they come on along with the bottom brights. So its not what you said. I made sure it wasnt that.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #39
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Are you getting voltage at the low beam plug? If not then it will not turn on the HIDs. My bet is that there is a simple answer to this.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #40
84C10Chance

Yes, Im getting voltage to there. I stated that if i plug a normal halogen light in the plug it'll turn on. But the HID only comes on with the brights engaged.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #41
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Yes, Im getting voltage to there. I stated that if i plug a normal halogen light in the plug it'll turn on. But the HID only comes on with the brights engaged.
Does the wiring harness, that you are using, have only one relay on it or does it have two? My guess would be that your trigger plug for the wiring harness has a terminal that plugs into the high beam wire of a dual duty plug. (in other words there is both a low beam power source and a high beam power source at the plug that you are using and the relay is tapped to the high beam. To change that would be a simple moving of the wire to the other side and get the low beam power to the relay and not the high beam.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #42
84C10Chance

It came with 2 relays. IT did not specify which plug goes into which relay. But they have both the same connection. And ive already switch them considering i thought it was the relay that was the problem. There a picture of what the harness looks like. Its on page 1 i believe.