The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: which carb for boys truck
rochester 2 barrel 8 14.29%
holley 650 double pumper 7 12.50%
edelbrock 500 vacum sec 11 19.64%
edelbrock 600 vacum sec 30 53.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #26
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: carb for the boys truck?

The Edelbrock line of 1400 series carbs is advertised at 600 CFM, however, they are actually a 625 CFM carb, as is the Carter AFB carbs. If you look at them, theya re the EXACT same carb that has a Weber body and are made by Magnetti-Marelli of USA. The 625 CFM carb is not an oversize for the 305 and will work fine n that motor. Where the carb will become a problem, is when you are trying to get higher RPMs out of the motor. The airflow characteristics will limit the achievement of a good top end on the motor.

When you move up to the Edelbrock Thunder AVS carbs, the flow rating on that is 650 CFM and it also adds the secondary plates. That makes the difference that you need for a little bigger motor.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #27
mnunn454

Opinions are plentiful on threads like these because most if not all of us have been on either the Father or the Son side of this situation.

To start with, mount the Holley for the "cool factor" but secretly disconnect the secondaries so it'll only run on the front 2 barrels even at WOT.

It'll still be enough to get into trouble but may limit the "extent" of the potential damage.

Just a thought.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe

Last edited by mnunn454; 07-20-2007 at 07:39 PM.
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #28
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunn454 View Post
To start with, mount the Holley for the "cool factor" but secretly disconnect the secondaries so it'll only run on the front 2 barrels even at WOT.
That's some good thinkin'!
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #29
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You guys are right about opinions---Mine is; To mount the carb right and teach the boy what is right and what is wrong. Make him respect what he has and then let him learn the consequences for himself. There are a large contingent of teens out there that have no respect for the car or much else for that matter. I was at a street cruise of about 800 cars, Example: just last weekend and there was this group of teens sitting on their cars and throwing things on top of them. One was a older Dodge Charger that had been repainted, I am betting that Dear Old Dad had no clue what was going to happen to his hard spent dollars, when he fixed the car up.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #30
'68 longbed

just have him research what it costs to fix things that commonly break when you get stupid with the gas pedal....after he has a list of prices (that he researched on his own) tell him he'll have to buy and fix anything he breaks!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #31
Billla
Account Suspended

Yeah, here's a link to my son's learning curve in my truck:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2206636/3
Old 07-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #32
57sailplane

man those picture almost make me sick. i can't imagine how you feel, but i do no how your son feels. I did almost the same thing when i was a senior in high school. i had a 57 Chevy and i parked under a large tree cause it started hailing real bad (golf ball size). by the time the storm got past us the windows had fogged up. i took off looking through the little area the old defrost had cleared off and hit a white parked car about 30 feet in front of me of coarse on the passengers side. man was i sick. what really sucked was my intentions were good but the out come was bad. man was my dad mad. by the time he got there all the white hale was gone.. so if my son does wreck the truck, i will probably go a little easier on him then most. i no i will be sick so lets just hope it never happens
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #33
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I like my Edlebrock Q-Jet. The 1405 that I took off of it ran richer and the exhaust odor really burned my nose and everybody who was around it. It had .100 main jets, for performance. A 1406 isn't jetted the same.

According to those carb sizing charts, the 750 Qjet on my 350 is too big. But it ran right out of the box and my engine likes it, too.

But, you are his Dad and it is your call. I didn't vote because I don't have a feeling for any of your options that wouldn't be objective.

I've seen some good-running engines that ran the 2GC Rochesters. Maybe a rebuilt unit would be good.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #34
57sailplane

well guys got the 650 holley in with performer manifold, hei ingnition with advanced springs and weights. it runs real good. dosnt spin the tires at all when mashing down in first gear. she will get up and go but gears are to high to be rediculus. she likes the gas though real bad. since the 600 edelbrock seems to be so popular i plan on puting one on her next. better milage and should still run real well. my boy is nothing but smiles and i am pleased that its not to radical. thanks for all your help and responces..
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #35
jkeady

You might try tuning that Holley a little. Go to their website and browse around. You know, I had a Holley 750 (dual bowl, single pump) on a Ford 460, and once I got that thing dialed in, it was so smooth and had great linear power. I liked that carb setup better than any Edelbrock rig I've ever driven.

With that said, the Performer 600 I have on my Chevy 350 and the same carb I have on my Ford 400 are great too, out of the box, bolted them on, ran through the idle mixture setup, and they are both super reliable.

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #36
57sailplane

oh ya this carb runs real good. its just the mpg it really sucks her down.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #37
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Just because you can't get it to spin the tires in 1st gear doesn't mean the boy can't make it spin.

I'm glad you stuck a 4-barrel on it. I was a bit worried you were gonna put a 2 barrel on it.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #38
Skruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKES 68GMC View Post
Just because you can't get it to spin the tires in 1st gear doesn't mean the boy can't make it spin.

I'm glad you stuck a 4-barrel on it. I was a bit worried you were gonna put a 2 barrel on it.
Gee, I thought the 2-barrel was by FAR the best solution. And the fact that I'm selling one had NOTHING to do with that opinion.
Skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #39
mnunn454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
oh ya this carb runs real good. its just the mpg it really sucks her down.
Changing air fuel ratios by way of swapping carbs is not the most efficient method. Edelbrock carb's are great, but as long as the Holley's running fine, it'll be about 1000% cheaper for you to adjust its jets a little than to buy a new Eddy. Jets are about $5 a set I think and bowl gaskets about half of that. The job can be done in about 15 minutes. Read the spark plug coloring (balanced by your wallet and the seat of your pants) to gauge if it's still too rich or now too lean.

If you're not sure how to change jets, go to a knowledgable friend or even a speed shop and get them to show you. Heck, spend $100 on a rear wheel dyno and get them to "dial it in" for cruise economy, you'll still come out $$ ahead of swapping carbs and the payoff will show up at every fillup.

JMO.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe

Last edited by mnunn454; 07-23-2007 at 06:43 AM.
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #40
Billla
Account Suspended

I agree that any carb can be tuned as noted in one of my posts above - but tuning a double pumper is not going to provide economy...:/

Double-pumpers for the street are an incredible waste of fuel. People like them because they cover up for bad tuning - specifically, incorrect secondary opening on vacuum secondary carbs.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #41
stepside454

If its an otherwise stock 305 , Id run either a Q-jet, or a 500 CFM Edelbrock(even though Im generally not much of an Edelbrock carb fan) You could also run a Holley 570 CFM street Avenger carb. No need for anymore than that. Due to the 305s small bore, they are sensitive to over carb, & over cam & respond much better to smaller cfm carbs & small plenum intakes.