The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #26
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Wink Re: Lowered Trucks and the Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
boy virginia is going crazy here lately. i live just across the tn. line and go to gate city, va. alot with my lowered 72 and also have blue dots in my tail lights. guess i,d better not go over anymore huh ?
the ONLY way you can drive in virginia is with a vehicle that is as it was when new ! if it's got one modification they will spot it and write you for it , lived here for 38 year's that's just the way it is , the good side I drive my original 1967 RS camaro and my original 1967 C10 and all they can do is watch me go !
Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #27
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Lowered Trucks and the Police

Before you battle, do your homework for your state and local ordnances. Find out if in fact your are not in compliance with the law. Too many folks jump into vehicle mods and do not check the laws before hand. Like it or not, they are there and if you push them, you'll just be asking for trouble.

The stereo-typing, sorry can't help you, but it is nothing new. If you or your ride fits the mold of what society says is bad, you'll be marked. If you depend on it as a daily driver, you don't want to push any limits unless your ready for the hassles.

I will say from my own $.02, the low rider daily drivers around here are a pain. They have the vehicle to low to maneuver the roads (not great) and end up causing a lot of congestion. They attract a lot of bad attention, and that is with out having tats, or the other things you mentioned.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #28
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Carefully check your state and local laws. In Colorado, it is very clearly spelled out in the state statutes that NO modifications to the front or rear suspension are allowed.

It obviously isn't strictly enforced, but I do know of one friend who was always getting tickets for his raised 60-something Chevy 4x4.

Start with your local and state laws first and see what you come with.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #29
ofnaman

I know what your going through. In the last two years of high school (6 years ago now), I was pulled over 38 times (I'm not exagerating), and had my trucks searched 10 times. My friend and I had a competition to see who could get pulled over more times without getting any ticket's (I lost his total was 52 times). I had a lowered ramcharger my junior year and a lowered S-10 senior year. I only recieved one ticket, and the only reason that one held up in court was because I got a little mouthy with the judge (do not do that, keep your cool). I am white as a ghost and had no tatoo's, but I was younger looking than I was. I always covered my base's and my rides were always legal. Out of those 38 times I only was pulled over one time out of my home town, and the cop said he did not see my temp tag on my S-10, when he was walking up he said he saw it, then he asked what engine I had in it and then said "sorry for pulling you over, have a nice day". I personally think cops tend to target the younger "rebel" crowd, even if it is unjust. My advise is to not take it personally and alway's be legal.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #30
Primered_69

Actually most cities have pofiling rules. When you have the cops in front on you say all yes sir no sir type. If they push it too far they do have internal affairs that you can say tell them about and file a complaint on. Then if they keep this up you have a basis to prove harrassment.

Also what are the tatoos in question on the arms of? Are they black prison style tats? Or are they color? I work in the booking section of a major county jail. Most prison gang tats are not done in color. Therefore, if you do have black tats be prepared to explain what they mean. Also avoid numbers and certain drug/cohol symbols.

Also you might want to do a google search to make sure none of your tats have any gang connection unknowingly. I know i do this before I get my tattoos done just to make sure.

Remember when the cop pulls you over the what set/ gang do you claim? Have you ever been to prison is a fishing expedition? You be suprised how many people tell things when they ask these questions. You may have had either a gang officer or a new boot that was just doing his thing.

Also, go into the town in question and ask them for a copy of current statues in the city. Also, be prepared to take them to court for the hassle. Most jerks like that are just fishing.

Are you actually getting tickets? Most likely they just want to hassle you and let you off with a warning if your nice.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #31
sleepyboy
'69 Step

Is it the same cop or are they taking turns. I would research local laws or consult the DMV for offenses you are getting harrassed about. Maybe keeping copies of the laws they are hassling you about in the glove box is the key. Politeness ALL the time helps, they will get tired of harrassing you. I guess they are waiting for the day you smell of booze or pot. Definately NOT a good idea of taking the truck to the local pub. Hey, IF you gotta be legit and drive it just to make them harrass you, documentation, dates/times, officer names may be worth taking to an attorney.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #32
69halfton

you guys think you got it bad, at least your only getting tickets....

im not too sure the status on it right now, but i know they are having a political vote on it.

If a cop pulls you over, and notices that your car (or truck) is modified for speed, handeling etc, other then stock (that includes exaust systems) they can impound your car and crush it, at the officers discresion.

This is in Ontario Canada.

all i know is one thing, they make that a law, and ill be moving elsewhere in one big hurry.

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #33
SufferInTruth

bodydropped69, I live in Arizona as well (Glendale, specifically). About the license plate being 18" from the ground, that's the law. It's not always enforced, but (I'm part-Hispanic as well) when you're sleeved with the windows down here in town, you're just asking to get pulled over and questioned. The conditions will vary depending which part of Phoenix or wherever you live. If there's lots of gang activity or suspicious activities going on in the area, you're increasing your chances of getting pulled over. Just my two cents.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #34
BCOWANWHEELS

i think you dont have to answer any questions unless it pertains to your violation they pulled you over for. this isnt nazi germany......
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #35
thor209

ARIZONA LIFT LAWS
28-924
C. A head lamp on a motor vehicle, including a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle and a motor driven cycle, shall be located at a height of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches to be measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B
28-958.01
A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semi trailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck
28-1093
B. If pneumatic tires, in substitution for the same type or other type of tires, are placed on a vehicle in operation on July 1, 1950:
1. The maximum width from the outside of one wheel and tire to the outside of the opposite wheel and tire shall not exceed eight feet six inches
28-1094.
A. Without a permit issued under section 28-1103 or this section, a vehicle unladen or with a load shall not exceed a height of thirteen feet six inches above the level surface on which the vehicle stands.

Found this might help

thor209

Last edited by thor209; 09-04-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #36
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

I find that it's more of an age thing then anything else. You put someone 50 or older in a lowered truck and most cops think that it's a pretty neat thing. I represent this group and unless your driving crazy they pretty much leave you alone. I had a motor cycle cop pull up beside my 50' Chevy and talk a while as we were at a red light and he ended our conversation on the green light with .... nice truck.

esll.

Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-04-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #37
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

How big of a town do you live in? Probably too big to actually get to meet some of the cops and show them that you are an alright person.

As to what gang do you belong to, I'm guessing they would not find it humorous to say you're part of the 67-72Chevy gang, thousands strong.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #38
2bits

I used to drive a bright red, jacked up 74 Monte Carlo with a Vette engine and loud exhaust, and I had long hair.

I am white, but I got pulled over all the time, when I lived in Irving I got pulled over once every two weeks for probably six months until I was forced to move. I got real good at making sure everything was perfect as far as paperwork and licence plate lights etc. It IS profiling, not nessicarily because of race, but definitley due to the way I looked and the car I drove. It is understandable to me because alot of people who looked like me really WERE up to no good; that doesn't make it right to be profiled, but it is just a fact depending on what town you live in.

I don't know what result going to court would get you, I mean what would you sue for? To be left alone? Money, to fire the guy? That would be real hard to do. I don't think that is possible although I wish it were, you might just get put on a black-list and get messed with even more. Sometimes you can't change things and you just have to work around the idiots who are in power. I wish there was a better answer.

When I looking for a house, I specifically chose the town that I live in because the cops don't hassle you, and I will avoid driving through certain towns if I can avoid it because I know I will get hassled. I worry about my truck that I have now being a cop magnet too, luckily I haven't been pulled over in it yet, but sometime I go through certain towns, I see them making u turns and following me running my tags checking for warrants.
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club

Last edited by 2bits; 09-04-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #39
bryanw1968

Sorry man that sucks. The bottom line is if you're driving something that looks fast or extremely modified one way or the other you're going to get what you're looking for, attention, just like somebody else already mentioned.
That's one of the reasons mine is a farily stock looking ride. It's only a 2/4 drop and 15" rims, no stickers or crazy sh%t on the outside. I'm in my 30's and look fairly conservative but the cops in my county/neighborhood will pull you over for anything. I'm glad that they're out there patroling the streets but there are WAY too many in my hood. The other day I waived at one(I have several friends on this force) and he whipped around and started after me. He got on my bumper and tailed me for a while and then after probably running my plates peeled off in another direction. Another buddy of mine in the same hood was just outside bbqing and happen to have a '69 burb and '77 pro-street camaro outside. A cop drove by and my buddy waived and the guy pulled in and jumped out with his holster popped open asking why my friend waived. Good grief!!!! Uh, to say hi????
Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #40
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

I live in Gilbert, too, and even though we don't have a big gang problem here, Mesa IS our neighbor. I looked for the law talking about license plate height, and this is what I found:

C. SUBJECT TO LEGISLATIVE APPROPRIATION, THE DEPARTMENT MAY REPLACE LICENSE PLATES ISSUED PURSUANT TO THIS CHAPTER ONCE EVERY TEN YEARS.

Sec. 4. Section 28-2354, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:

28-2354. License plates; attachment

A. A person shall display the license plate or plates as follows:

1. For a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer, on the rear.

2. For a vehicle for which two license plates are issued, the vehicle owner shall display either of the following:

(a) One plate on the rear.

(b) One plate on the front and one plate on the rear.

B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked.

C. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible. A LICENSE PLATE FRAME SHALL NOT COVER ANY PORTION OF THE NAME OF THIS STATE THAT APPEARS ON THE LICENSE PLATE.

D. A person shall securely fasten each license plate to the vehicle as follows:

1. To prevent the plate from swinging.

2. At a height of at least twelve inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate.

3. In a position to be clearly visible.

At the bottom of the page, it says this is from 2002, so it may have changed since then. But this is all I could find online.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #41
69GMCor70Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman View Post
I know what your going through. In the last two years of high school (6 years ago now), I was pulled over 38 times (I'm not exagerating), and had my trucks searched 10 times. My friend and I had a competition to see who could get pulled over more times without getting any ticket's (I lost his total was 52 times). I had a lowered ramcharger my junior year and a lowered S-10 senior year. I only recieved one ticket, and the only reason that one held up in court was because I got a little mouthy with the judge (do not do that, keep your cool). I am white as a ghost and had no tatoo's, but I was younger looking than I was. I always covered my base's and my rides were always legal. Out of those 38 times I only was pulled over one time out of my home town, and the cop said he did not see my temp tag on my S-10, when he was walking up he said he saw it, then he asked what engine I had in it and then said "sorry for pulling you over, have a nice day". I personally think cops tend to target the younger "rebel" crowd, even if it is unjust. My advise is to not take it personally and alway's be legal.
This was my life from grade 10-12 as well (90-93). While driving either a 79 Camaro or a 67 GMC. I was questioned for loud exhaust, steering wheel size, rear lift on Camaro, rear tire size.

Looking back I was a bit mouthy but being stopped every day sometimes, yes every day, and I did rip around town a little recklessly. I did not get one ticket however and my father, who was/is a prominent local businessman, had to go to the police office and it stopped.

Oh, I am white, grew up in a town of 1500 with 5 or 6 cops and this was in Saskatchewan, Canada.
70 Mercury Marauder - Future Project
Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #42
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydropped69 View Post
Thats what I thought about the ride height issue too, but when I brought it up too the cop I was told I was arguing with him and making it worse. I am the last person to say it was a racial issue but after today I just feel like there is definitely some stuff going on. I have been driving that truck for the past three years and today was the first time the ride height issue was ever brought up. I really just want to be able to enjoy driving my truck but after today I feel like I dont even want to deal with this anymore.
Go to your local precinct. Talk to the zone commander for your area and let him know what's going on. If you were a gang member, you obviously wouldn't be going to the station to talk to him. If nothing else, maybe this will save you some grief.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #43
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Most law enforcement officers wouldn't want to admit this...but for them while on patrol, it's all about "making contact". Any "potential" problem they can see regarding the vehicle or your driving...gives them a reason to pull you over. for a lot of folks the vehicle says a little something about the driver and thats what they go by.

Why? Just to see who you are, and what you are up to. Plain and simple. You act suspicious, and it gets even worse. Then they may want to take you and your vehicle apart. It's BS...but its the reality in todays world.

If you look like an "averge joe" while tooling along down the road...they have no reason to mess with you....simply because you don't fit into any of those "trouble" groups. Is it "profiling"? You bet.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #44
dmsteele92831

I just got a ticket for having a STOCK exhaust!!! I told told the officer it was stock, and he said he didn't care, take it up with the judge.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #45
2bits

Yeah, Learned the hard way not to wave at a cop too. Whipped a U and pulled me over and harassed me for my exhaust. Blew my mind...
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #46
bryanw1968

IMHO the bottom line is this......
Every one of us on this forum have a unique vehicle. Some heavily modified and some bone stockers. They all get attention stock or not just because they're aren't many on the road and they stick out. Something for the police to consider is that someone who is trying to get away with something sneaky is NOT going to be driving around in an attention grabber?!?! Duh......

The problem is the stigma with driving something custom and going fast is associtated with the young irresponsible crowd. It's not always like that. I was at a local hot rod parking lot this w/e and 70% of the car owners were over 60. I thought that was awesome!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #47
Solego
Dr. Frankentruck's Monster

Hmm...cops suck.

Project SLOMO
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430494
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #48
shifty
Questionable

alachua county might suck (i lived in GNV for 7 years ), but thems fighting words for a lot of people around this forum that are cops.

in general, stereotyping and blanket statements like the one you just made are inappropriate for a forum like this (I am assuming you were kidding)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #49
bcanini
"Taste It"

now why would you say that Solego... lol

B

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #50
Solego
Dr. Frankentruck's Monster

I'm sorry...they BLOW!

Seriously speakin'. Read my post on Jim Carter Trucks! Very important for those like me who have intentions of spending quite a bit of money on their truck rebuilds.

Project SLOMO
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430494

Last edited by Solego; 09-04-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Closed Thread