The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which truck would you spend your money on?
Restore the 1970 CST 14 24.14%
Buy the low milage 72 4x4 44 75.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Poll Which Truck would you invest in?

Is this to drive or invest?The original is an investment,but only if you continue to store it.If you want one to drive,that`s the one you restore.You don`t have to spend crazy money on every little thing to have a nice truck.A resto doesn`t have to cost near what that shortbed costs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-03-2007 at 01:05 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #27
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
If you wanted it to be short, there are options in shortening the chassis.

With a $20K budget, it should be nice, but nothing is going to replace the family bond that it already has going on. Doing anything less will probably leave you with a "Gee, I wish I had...." feeling.
but please don't shorten that loaded CST (unless you do it with a donor frame- a cut frame will hurt it)--- with buckets, tach, and a big block, that truck sounds as loaded as one gets --

Sounds like you made the right decision for you and your fam. --- good luck with the project and post some progress pics for inspiration for the rest of us
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Can't wait to see the end result, good luck on the build!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #29
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
but please don't shorten that loaded CST (unless you do it with a donor frame- a cut frame will hurt it)--- with buckets, tach, and a big block, that truck sounds as loaded as one gets --
It will raise the value, though.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #30
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
It will raise the value, though.

Only to a moron --- his truck is a fully loaded CST, not a 3 on the tree work truck with a straight 6 and idiot light dash.

Thats like saying adding Z28 badges to your 1969 SS Camaro will raise its value.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #31
see ten
WTB this ad

At the end of the day a 69 Camaro is going to be a 69 camaro. It doesn't matter if it's a Z clone or a plane jane car, people generally like 69 camaros and pay a premium price for ones that are well built. On the truck side of the coin, people generally like em short. Sure there are tons of guys that like the lwb trucks but............put two identical trucks of equal quality side by side and see which one will bring the higher price. So yeah if it was mine, I would probably build a shorty out of it. Would it be worth more? most likely! Does that make the original poster or myself a moron? Doubtful! Let's try to keep the personal comments about other guys intelligence to a minimum fellas.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #32
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Always cheaper in the long run to buy something original or finished,
When you are restoring or customizing it sometimes never ends.

I voted to buy.
A-MEN
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #33
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
At the end of the day a 69 Camaro is going to be a 69 camaro. It doesn't matter if it's a Z clone or a plane jane car, people generally like 69 camaros and pay a premium price for ones that are well built. On the truck side of the coin, people generally like em short. Sure there are tons of guys that like the lwb trucks but............put two identical trucks of equal quality side by side and see which one will bring the higher price. So yeah if it was mine, I would probably build a shorty out of it. Would it be worth more? most likely! Does that make the original poster or myself a moron? Doubtful! Let's try to keep the personal comments about other guys intelligence to a minimum fellas.

It really depends on whether the truck in question is a restoration or a resto-custom

As a restoration, if the glovebox tag said long wheelbase when it rolled out of Fremont, then that's what it should be. Anything else would not be correct to the particular truck, - especially a heavily optioned big block CST. Restore it and don't do anything to it that is not reversible and drive it and enjoy it. Different wheels and dropped spindles and springs is reversible, a torched frame or a 67 front clip is not.

If its a custom - then go ahead and shorten the frame, install a sunroof, old trans am bucket seats, 15 x 10 Cragars and big ballooner 295-50 tires, along with all the chrome Mr. Gasket crap that can possibly fit on the engine -- party on.

a big block CST is the truck world's equivalent of a Z or SS 396 camaro ---- in today's market - most people don't mess with those cars anymore as a restored example is worth far more than a custom

But the lower optioned SS cars and the plain jane 307 and 6 equipped Camaros, people do what they want with them, but generally the first addition is some re-pop SS badges to make a custom clone. You can buy these for 20k regularly while original Z's and higher optioned SS's start at 45 or 50
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #34
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Does that make the original poster or myself a moron? Doubtful! Let's try to keep the personal comments about other guys intelligence to a minimum fellas.

Don't take it personally -- just my opinion of ghetto'ing out a nice truck

and my original comment was "

Last edited by streetstar; 10-03-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #35
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
...shorten the frame, install a sunroof, old trans am bucket seats, 15 x 10 Cragars and big ballooner 295-50 tires, along with all the chrome Mr. Gasket crap that can possibly fit on the engine -- party on.
Because that's what all the people who shorten them do, right?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #36
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Because that's what all the people who shorten them do, right?
Yes -- that is what they all do

Actually, the last 2 i have looked at with chopped frames loosely fit that description

Frizz - your vehicle does not apply - i have read your build thread and that is a concept vehicle that GM should have built 35 years ago --- you didnt turn a long CST into a short CST

I give up --- i am getting off the computer and heding into the garage to work on my own project -- all this talk makes me wanna go get dirty
Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #37
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
i am getting off the computer and heding into the garage to work on my own project -- all this talk makes me wanna go get dirty
Me too

...and I'm with ya on leaving the rare survivors unmolested
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #38
70cst

Quote:
As a restoration, if the glovebox tag said long wheelbase when it rolled out of Fremont, then that's what it should be. Anything else would not be correct to the particular truck, - especially a heavily optioned big block CST. Restore it and don't do anything to it that is not reversible and drive it and enjoy it. Different wheels and dropped spindles and springs is reversible, a torched frame or a 67 front clip is not.
streetstar....you are right on to what I am doing. I am leaving it a LWB and any mods that I am doing to make it more drivable will be reversible.
I like 4x4's, swb, and lwb trucks as I think they are all sweet looking and how many other truck manufactuers can you say that about? What I like is we all have different ideas and yet I believe we are all right. Being a loaded LWB-BB-CST I am going to restore it with improvements but these improvements can be changed should 70cstjr decide to sell it some day. I agree that the SWB is more desirable then the LWB...but...LWB is what I have and it will stay LWB. I think it would be a shame to shorten this particular truck. IMHO it would drastically reduce the desirability of this truck. IMO I appreciate all your input. As mentioned HOTFUN has a very nice 4x4 but it doesn't have the memories for 70cstjr that my 70cst has. I want this to be safe, fun, and good looking knowing that some day 70cstjr will be handed the pink slip...but not untill I'm in my wheel chair.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 10-03-2007 at 07:09 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #39
70cstjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post

should 70cstjr decide to sell it some day
what are you smoking? you really are crazy lol
Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #40
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Here are you some SWB frames on the CHEAP!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=258532
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote