The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
DANTIP

Re: YA!! I went for my first ride tonight!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I love the color!!

Do you have any Before Photos you could add?

WOW!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
milled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT1972cheyenne View Post
Let this be some encouragement for those of you doing a restoration project.......
After 3 & 1/2 years, I FINALLY took my first drive tonight! It was awesome! I sat on a milk crate because there is no interior yet, & it had a few odd noises, and a few electrical issues, but i had a BLAST!
It's worth it!
I can now see the light at the end of the $20,000 tunnel.
LOL

Thanks to you guys for keeping me going!

NIce truck, if you gave that 20k to chevrolet today and told them you want a pickup built like that they couldn't do it (atleast right).
Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #28
jerry moss
Born Psycho

WOW, nice looking truck. I bet you didn't want to stop once you got going
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

27 years ago I traded some work for a 70 short fleet with a bad motor. I had a 400 sbc sitting there and a M-21 Muncie 4sp. I spent the afternoon putting it together and fired it up with open headers and let it thump for a few min. I had the seat out to be recovered and yes the milk crate was in its place. I was going to back it out of the shop to clean up my mess and just park it, nothing else. I shut it off and thought let's see how good it will start after running awhile. So after 2-3 restarts I had to go around the loop to make sure the trans shifted OK just a little putt. Half way around the loop is a long straight stretch and I thought I might as well see how much get up and go it had. I rolled it off the line then floored it. So far so good so I grab 2ed and got a good bit of wheel spin so shifted into 3ed and things went wrong in a hurry. The rear end went around to the right an the milk crate turned over and I was laying in the floor with my head against the passenger side door. I stabbed the brakes with my left foot and held on for dear life. When it stopped and I could get my crate set up and climb backup where I could see I had left skid marks cleaning out the road side ditch for about 200' but didn't hit anything or bend the truck at all. Started it up and drove it home SLOWLY and parked it. All I could think of on the ride home was you would whip the boys butt if they pulled such a dumb stunt. It was the talk of the neighborhood, wondering who left the skid marks but nobody put it on me. Since both my sons are board members I might be caught.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket

Last edited by Ron 586; 04-16-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
HoupPhotography

That's is AWESOME! To me, there is no feeling like that in the world, especially when you built it yourself!!!

Congrats Brotha!!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #31
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Hey MT,

that is a GREAT looking truck....I look forward to that feeling here in a couple months!!!!

By the way....Ron 586.....That is a great story man!!!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #32
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron 586 View Post
27 years ago I traded some work for a 70 short fleet with a bad motor. I had a 400 sbc sitting there and a M-21 Muncie 4sp. I spent the afternoon putting it together and fired it up with open headers and let it thump for a few min. I had the seat out to be recovered and yes the milk crate was in its place. I was going to back it out of the shop to clean up my mess and just park it, nothing else. I shut it off and thought let's see how good it will start after running awhile. So after 2-3 restarts I had to go around the loop to make sure the trans shifted OK just a little putt. Half way around the loop is a long straight stretch and I thought I might as well see how much get up and go it had. I rolled it off the line then floored it. So far so good so I grab 2ed and got a good bit of wheel spin so shifted into 3ed and things went wrong in a hurry. The rear end went around to the right an the milk crate turned over and I was laying in the floor with my head against the passenger side door. I stabbed the brakes with my left foot and held on for dear life. When it stopped and I could get my crate set up and climb backup where I could see I had left skid marks cleaning out the road side ditch for about 200' but didn't hit anything or bend the truck at all. Started it up and drove it home SLOWLY and parked it. All I could think of on the ride home was you would whip the boys butt if they pulled such a dumb stunt. It was the talk of the neighborhood, wondering who left the skid marks but nobody put it on me. Since both my sons are board members I might be caught.
I was having visions of trying to take a 1st ride in mine with a milk crate. This story is what I saw in my minds eye.... nooo thanks!
How far would you skid at 130? Youd have to know phisics...

Last edited by Tom Vogel; 04-16-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: addition
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote