The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #26
Hook'em

Re: So what defines the soul of your truck?

I got my truck after my Dad passed away in 2004. Although it is now where close to original, it keeps a stock look. One of my reasons for driving it is because my Dad liked to drive it. I have made some additions (pwr disc brakes, hidden hitch, etc.), but I would not feel right about changing the truck's identity. I would be happy to do a complete frame up restore, but it would keep the stock look. I would fix things that needed to be fixed and give it shinny new paint, but I wouldn't feel right about lowering it, shaving anything, or otherwise customizing it beyond a stock theme.

There is no right or wrong answer. You should do what you feel comfortable doing.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
ksbeatty

My dad had a 1968 Chevy. I was born in 1969. When I found this (1970) truck I was not even looking. After finding another cab that was manufacture the same year I was born it almost seem to call for me to save it from a life of crappy disrepair and bring it back to a young youthful life. Although I have used three different vehicles I feel that it as I have worked on it it worked on me. I realized how bad of shape I was in and decided to do something about my health. I believe the soul of the truck is what we make it and how we feel about it like a family member or a trusted friend. I know that soon it will be back from paint and look revitalized a fresh with a new heart and an updated soul. I wish I could update that easy...
Medium Bronze (Copper Poly)
no new nick name yet. She is to pretty to be the Beater.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=241855
ksbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:50 AM   #28
mnunn454

One way of looking at it is to ask, "What would dad do if he were here with me working on it today?" Would he, given both your combined level of skills, repair the existing parts or replace them? Whichever way you answer, you'll enjoy some fond memories while you're working on it. If it wouldn't have mattered to him, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what you're best at (Probably replacement, by the sound of it).
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #29
Rokcrln

I agree if you are sentamentle (SP?) and that is a good quality in my book just do what your grand dad would have done. I know my grand dad likes old types of things but when I talk to him about LOW BUCK and the modern power plant, AOD and things that I have done he lights up because he like the old look but really likes the modern feel.
It sounds like your grand dad got the truck back to you, that was his part. Now it is your turn to show him what you can do so when your son/ grnad son gets their hands on it they can do their own touches to great grand dads truck.
My 67 Chevelle also was built in Fremont and sold in Long beach, traveled around the state with the original owner then found its way up to winter (80miles north of you) were we found it in time for our wedding and photos.

So the long and short of it build it how you want it and share it with him and others!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote