The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #26
ron19

Re: Spaghetti, err wiring...ugh.

I think what I'll do to start, before I spend a bunch of cash, is take RSS396's advice and start removing the items that are not stock and appear to need reworked, and then see where I stand. If I can use the original harness, that's the bulk of the cost anyways. Right?
ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #27
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

I was able reuse almost all of my factory connector blocks, just used new blade connectors in them. so far so good, fairly ez install
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #28
ron19

Update:

So I started pulling the extra wires out, just to get to a clean point and see what damage was done and what repairs need to be made. I don't have pics, but what I found was:

1. The ignition switch platic connector latch is broke, had a bunch of tape holding it on, and it looks like it goes to the main harness. They also stripped some jacket off the ignition wires to get power to other things and just wrapped wire around the exposed conductor, instead of going back to the fuse panel

2. The rear taillight connector was trashed, wire's stubbed all over the place and had sticky mastic (rubber compound) holding it together on both sides, looks like it goes to the main harness.

3. Fuel sending wire was spliced no less than 6 times....ugh

4. Alt wiring harness was not too bad but old and cracked.

5. The rest of the main harness looks good.

Question, Do I have to change the main harness to get the ignition connector and wiring right? What about the rear tail connector on the inside of the cab part?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #29
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Considering the worn, brittle areas you have found, I would replace the wiring harnesses from nose to tail. This will ensure you have a safe, properly functioning electrical system, as well as, giving you peace of mind.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #30
ron19

Lilred,

I was considering that as well, I'm just wondering if the system that is listed in Eckler's book as complete front to back, for $200+ (sounds reasonable) comes with the stock type connectors, bulk head type fittings for through the firewall, etc. Anyone use there stuff yet? Here's a link: http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/product...dept%5Fid=1135

This looks like the harness I would need.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #31
LILRED66
Account Suspended

This looks like what you need, hower it is not complete with the fuse block, or at least it is not pictured. Also, this appears to be only the under dash harness for $274.99, compared to the complete under dash harness from LMC Truck, including the fuse block for $200.00. Also, it looks like there are several open-ended wires without connectors and I am certain this does not include the grommets at the firewall, which are sold seperately.

I have the luxury of inspecting the items I purchase from LMC Truck and Classic Parts, because they are 20 minutes from where I live. I know what I am getting and the price, when I can view it in person and I have used harnesses from LMC and Classic Parts in the past with no problems.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #32
ron19

Your right, that's not the one I looked at. The one I looked at in the catalog said "Complete, front to back". I'll see if I can find that one.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #33
LILRED66
Account Suspended

ron19:

I checked Ecklers' website and was unable to find a complete, front-to-back wiring harness for the '64-66 Chevy trucks, but maybe I overlooked it.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #34
ron19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
ron19:

I checked Ecklers' website and was unable to find a complete, front-to-back wiring harness for the '64-66 Chevy trucks, but maybe I overlooked it.
No, your right LILRED, I looked in the catalog once I got home, I miss read the page. It shows a complete wiring, front to back, and under that it shows the years, etc. But I see now that the complete listing is on the side and it's a replacement harness for $495 or so, and it's a universal as far as I can see.

I guess what I need to know is, to replace the part of the harness that goes to the iginition switch and out the firewall (the inside part) for the rear tail lights, do I have to replace the whole main harness?

Thanks again.