The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 AM   #26
Mondo

Re: Gas prices are horrible. Engine options???

someone want to be the guinea pig... actually needs fuel injection motor I think. But hey, put it on your other car and then you won't worry about money spent on the truck

http://www.preignitioncc.com/ps/index.htm

Last edited by Mondo; 02-25-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #27
watahyahknow

bunch a sissies ..... you know wat we pay for fuel in the netherlands : 8,63 dollar per gallon reguair fuel 2/3ths of that is taxes and on top of that we pay roadtax by weight of car , trust me normal employers here are going broke trying to drive an american v8

heres a solution we come up with : propane wish is a tirth of the price of petrol or dieselengines running on veggy oil just rapeseed oil straight in the tank you only need to preheat it to get it more viscous

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #28
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
bunch a sissies ..... you know wat we pay for fuel in the netherlands : 8,63 dollar per gallon reguair fuel 2/3ths of that is taxes and on top of that we pay roadtax by weight of car , trust me normal employers here are going broke trying to drive an american v8

heres a solution we come up with : propane wish is a tirth of the price of petrol or dieselengines running on veggy oil just rapeseed oil straight in the tank you only need to preheat it to get it more viscous
It sucked the other day, I had to pay 2.98 a gallon for premium, what a rip.

Behold the beauty of limited self government.

Last edited by MrBeast; 02-25-2008 at 03:47 AM.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #29
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Go with an EFI conversion. I forget the name of the company, but I saw a neat and tidy looking conversion today on Horsepower TV. Looks like a carb too. The manufacturer claims a 12% increase...

Or, move to Texas. Gas rarely gets over 2.80 for regular

Last edited by texanidiot25; 03-01-2008 at 10:23 AM.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #30
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I have considered a 6.6 Duramax for one of my projects. It wouldn't be very cost effective though. Maybe if I found the motor and tranny cheap enough... The cool factor would be great too!! WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #31
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
I have considered a 6.6 Duramax for one of my projects. It wouldn't be very cost effective though. Maybe if I found the motor and tranny cheap enough... The cool factor would be great too!! WES
I have been looking at the D-max as well, but they are just too cost prohibative, now a cummins 12 valve that might be doable
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #32
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

a show I just watched said electric motors were allot more efficient than gas engines- so a small diesel electric would save allot in the long run but costly to put together, for a gas you'd need to design the motor to work in a very limited efficient rpm range and use a trans with enough gears to keep the motor in the range but allow normal speeds also costly
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #33
Yachtcare

I've attacked this problem from every angle. Practical experience with the older NA 6.2L diesel tells me it's the only way to go. I had one in a '82 C30 dually, weighed in at about 6K lbs. Did 21mpg all day, every day with 3.73 gears and a manual, NON overdrive tranny. If your'e not gonna tow anything, NA is more than enuf power for a 1/2 ton pick up. You can up the fun factor by slapping a turbo on it, as I intend to do. A 6.2 TD, with a 700R4 and 3.73 gears should yield a conservative 23 mpg. As an aside, you end up with the flexibility to burn alot of alternative fuels. As long as you have a mechanical injection pump, you've got a virtual billy goat of an engine. Strait or waste veggie oil, used(properly filtered) motor oil in concentrations up to 25%, used tranny oil. All things to add to your diesel to "stretch" the tank, as it were. The 6.2/6.5L diesel have a bit of a bad rap, but thats what makes them cheap, and relatively plentiful. Learn their shortcomings, and how to deal with them, and they'll take you a long way more economical than any gas motor ever will. My.02
1961 Chevy Apache 10 SWB fleet, 1970 GMC 1500 SWB fleet(getting 6.2L Detroit turbo Diesel), 1994 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4X4 6.5L turbo Diesel. 1990 Chevy class "C" RV on G van chassis. Pics at www.picturetrail.com/yachtcare
Yachtcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #34
mvfd70

hmmm...those diesels can be had fairly cheap according to evilbay. That'd be an interesting way to go. May keep that in mind.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #35
blukangoo
Neighborhood Pickle Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72swb_327stroker_? View Post
well, if you really want to.....
you could ship it to me....
and i can fill er up!
you might not get it back right away, but i swear it will have a full tank
I might have to take you up on that.......when I win the Lottery.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 396 - TH350
1968 Chevrolet C10/CST 327 TH400/375
1969 Corvette Stingray 350 - Muncie Manual Trans
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino 350 - TH400
1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible - 350 Rocket - TH350
1973 Camaro LT - New Engine Done - TH350

1973 Corvette Convertible 454 - TH400
blukangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #36
blukangoo

Quote:

Itīs a good thing I donīt have to drive mine every day at these gas prices. The tax on the gas is just about the same as up there in Holland. We also have to pay tax depending on how big the engine is. If I registered my truck with normal plates I would have to pay $1700. With Historical plates it will cost $281.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:

Old 02-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #37
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Well, I reckon I'm just gonna jump in here with my .02; right, or wrong.
I've had more than 1 person ask me how I drive "that thing" with gas prices so high. Then they suggest that I should buy something that has better gas mileage.
I just smile and tell 'em that the gasoline is only a small part of the cost of owning a vehicle.

I point to theirs & say, "You got payment on that? I'll bet it's higher than my house payment." (Been in the same house for nearly 30 yrs.) And I'm usually right.
"You gotta insure that thang? Other than mandated liability, I don't carry insurance. I just take my chances. I'll bet the insurance on that thang is higher than the insurance on all 3 of my vehicles." (One '69, two 72's)
"What do ya pay for registration?" (Out here in CA, the registration fees are based on the "value" of the vehicle)
Can you work on it/fix it yerself?, or do you have to take it to the dealer, or mechanic?"

After a few questions from me & their answers, I don't get much argument.
Like I said, just my .02

You folks have a great weekend.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 02-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #38
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I know a guy who has a 98 C30 crew cab 454. he wanted better MPG so he bought a 93 Caravan 3.3 for $1500. then had to replace the engine (cam bearings spun and smoked the top end) $1200. then the tranny went south, another $1300 gone. then he decided to sell the van and drive the truck while saying "this saving money on gas is getting expensive".
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #39
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Well, I reckon I'm just gonna jump in here with my .02; right, or wrong.
I've had more than 1 person ask me how I drive "that thing" with gas prices so high. Then they suggest that I should buy something that has better gas mileage.
I just smile and tell 'em that the gasoline is only a small part of the cost of owning a vehicle.

I point to theirs & say, "You got payment on that? I'll bet it's higher than my house payment." (Been in the same house for nearly 30 yrs.) And I'm usually right.
"You gotta insure that thang? Other than mandated liability, I don't carry insurance. I just take my chances. I'll bet the insurance on that thang is higher than the insurance on all 3 of my vehicles." (One '69, two 72's)
"What do ya pay for registration?" (Out here in CA, the registration fees are based on the "value" of the vehicle)
Can you work on it/fix it yerself?, or do you have to take it to the dealer, or mechanic?"

After a few questions from me & their answers, I don't get much argument.
Like I said, just my .02

You folks have a great weekend.

El Jay
FINALLY....someone else who has thought this out. My friend has a newer truck that gets 18mpg and he laughs at my 10mpg [combined hwy/city in a work truck with a 300hp 350].

Yet, here's the breakdown....

I drive 400 miles per week...60 of that a day is hwy. I have a TH-350 with a shift kit and I carry around 350 extra pounds in two small tool boxes in back...a 3.08 one legger brings up the rear. I build decks so wood is always in the bed [daily]. My gas costs me around $125 a week...insurance on my old truck is $37.50 a month [I'm old!]. Parts are very cheap and I can do the work myself or with help from friends in our club.

His truck payment is $350 a month and his insurance is $275. He buys about $75 a week in gas and drives about the same mileage that I do....[just without anything in the bed of his truck]. He has to send his truck in to the shop everytime he has a problem and we all know how expensive that can get.

When the math is done, it is MUCH cheaper to run a classic truck, a ton more fun and everyone with even a slight interest in these old trucks strikes up a conversation at every stop whereas his truck is one among hundreds of thousands on the road ['98 Chevy short step].

Gas could hit $5 a gallon and I'd still be ahead of him in costs to drive per month. I'd rather it not but you see the point.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #40
Yachtcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvfd70 View Post
hmmm...those diesels can be had fairly cheap according to evilbay. That'd be an interesting way to go. May keep that in mind.
mvfd70, Shop flea bay, or locally for the complete vehicle(pick up, preferably, they put 6.2's in the vans also) If you get a good running complete truck, you'll have the motor mounts, frame perches, wiring harness, tranny, etc. to just drop into your truck. It is NOT uncommon to be able to buy an entire truck with a 6.2, for what you'd pay for just the motor on flea bay. If you want to learn a bit more about them, www.dieselplace.com is the premeire site for info. There, like here, lot's of good people, with plenty of knowledge to help out. Read the FAQ's and "stickies" in the 6.2 section. Give you the basics on what to look for, and what to stay away from. Good luck with whatever direction you go in.

A few interesting points regarding the 6.2
1) Fully mechanical, no computers/electronics needed
2)Can buy a complete remanned engine, for about the same cost to replace the 8 injectors on a DuraMax(that needs extensive electronics, to run)
3) A good, durable engine, known to go 300,000 miles, IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED.
4) Was designed by Detroit Diesel, as a Diesel, this is not your father's Oldsmobile converted gasser, that many will insist that it is.
1961 Chevy Apache 10 SWB fleet, 1970 GMC 1500 SWB fleet(getting 6.2L Detroit turbo Diesel), 1994 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4X4 6.5L turbo Diesel. 1990 Chevy class "C" RV on G van chassis. Pics at www.picturetrail.com/yachtcare

Last edited by Yachtcare; 02-25-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #41
Nima
Blue 67

I have a question for our European friends: you guys talk a lot about the gas been cheap here and expensive over there but hey guys, what is the pay scale in Europe? I mean, what if the average pay over there? Everything is relative therefore if people in Europe gets pais the same as here, you are right then gas is cheap here. In some of the Middle east countries, gas is about $.9-.99 per gallon but a good pay over there is $250-300 a month which make the gas very expensive. Just something to think about.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #42
sparky69

Has anybody ever tried this "water car" method? Converting water to hydrogen on the go. Any thoughts? Here is one link I found.

http://water4gas.com/2books.htm?hop=jethro3737
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #43
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
FINALLY....someone else who has thought this out. My friend has a newer truck that gets 18mpg and he laughs at my 10mpg [combined hwy/city in a work truck with a 300hp 350].

Yet, here's the breakdown....

I drive 400 miles per week...60 of that a day is hwy. I have a TH-350 with a shift kit and I carry around 350 extra pounds in two small tool boxes in back...a 3.08 one legger brings up the rear. I build decks so wood is always in the bed [daily]. My gas costs me around $125 a week...insurance on my old truck is $37.50 a month [I'm old!]. Parts are very cheap and I can do the work myself or with help from friends in our club.

His truck payment is $350 a month and his insurance is $275. He buys about $75 a week in gas and drives about the same mileage that I do....[just without anything in the bed of his truck]. He has to send his truck in to the shop everytime he has a problem and we all know how expensive that can get.

When the math is done, it is MUCH cheaper to run a classic truck, a ton more fun and everyone with even a slight interest in these old trucks strikes up a conversation at every stop whereas his truck is one among hundreds of thousands on the road ['98 Chevy short step].

Gas could hit $5 a gallon and I'd still be ahead of him in costs to drive per month. I'd rather it not but you see the point.
All good points Dirt Dobber! My sentiments, exactly. Shiney, new vehicles are attractive and are very well optioned and all but at a high cost. I bought my last new one over 30 yrs ago. I sure like how the electronically controlled engines are more fuel efficient and last way longer than they used to and all but, it costs a lot more to maintain and repair them too. It looks to me like for what the newer ones cost to buy and maintain they would get a lot better mileage than they do. I'll stop here before I get off on how car makers, gov and oil coms are all in bed together......it's all about the money first, consumers and environment last.
You know my old 69 has a carb'd 350, no OD trans, no power windows or seats, no lumbar support or seat heater for my butt, or a CUP HOLDER! But it will do everything a newer one will do and for less too. Prestige of owning a new one don't carry any weight with me.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #44
blukangoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky69 View Post
Has anybody ever tried this "water car" method? Converting water to hydrogen on the go. Any thoughts? Here is one link I found.

Somebody did alot of work on that site. As they say, Bill Gates started in a garage too so I will just wait til the owners of Water4Gas expand to a global company making Trillions of dollars.
It is not too convincing right now.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:

Old 02-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #45
Yachtcare

Quote:

Google "hydrogen generator automobile". You'll find 50,000 some odd links that show you free plans, how to build your own, make all kinds of wild claims. Frankly, if anything could give you an 82% increase in fuel economy those people would be multi billionaires over night. The more you read, the more complicated it becomes, stainless steel catalyst tanks, yada, yada, yada. Seems like another scam to capitalize on increasing fuel prices. Like someone else posted here, this saving gas, can get expensive. Do the math, as far as your own driving requirements are concerned, and you'll find the point of diminishing returns is typically reached a lot quicker than you think.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #46
watahyahknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
I have a question for our European friends: you guys talk a lot about the gas been cheap here and expensive over there but hey guys, what is the pay scale in Europe? I mean, what if the average pay over there? Everything is relative therefore if people in Europe gets pais the same as here, you are right then gas is cheap here. In some of the Middle east countries, gas is about $.9-.99 per gallon but a good pay over there is $250-300 a month which make the gas very expensive. Just something to think about.

everything is expensive here the goverment is milking us dry :

i get payed 1300 euro a month thats 1911 dollar a month at todays dollarrate and about 250 dollar over minimum wage here
insurance for my cheapo car 102 dollar
homerent 733 dollar 3 bedroom flat
gas licht water 314 dollar
roadtax for my cheapo car 161 dollar
gas bill weekly 75 dollar full tank
healthinsurance 205 dollar
96 dollar left for food and clothes internet speedingtickets and all the other stuff i forgot ...............you where saying?

i make some extra cash that the goverment dont know about wish helps pay for stuff but officially thats the tally

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 02-25-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #47
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:

I saw someone attempt this recently on a tech show to try and prove or disprove this. Hydrogen can be made into water (that much was proved), but it wasn't cost effective. It took more time and energy to make than it was worth.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #48
blukangoo

Quote:
everything is expensive here the goverment is milking us dry :

i get payed 1300 euro a month thats 1911 dollar a month at todays dollarrate and about 250 dollar over minimum wage here
insurance for my cheapo car 102 dollar
homerent 733 dollar 3 bedroom flat
gas licht water 314 dollar
roadtax for my cheapo car 161 dollar
gas bill weekly 75 dollar full tank
healthinsurance 205 dollar
96 dollar left for food and clothes internet speedingtickets and all the other stuff i forgot ...............you where saying?

i make some extra cash that the goverment dont know about wish helps pay for stuff but officially thats the tally
Mine is just about the same. I havenīt got a speeding ticket in years. Health insurance is 13% of my monthly wages before taxes.
On top of all of that, we pay 19% sales tax.
Why do they buy oil in the middle east? They can drill for it like we do water.

The only way to use less gas is to change to another source of energy like electricity, gas or the real Hybrids.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:

Last edited by blukangoo; 02-26-2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: edited something, what else?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #49
watahyahknow

we have 19% salestax too and for electric aplyances we have to pay a fee at purchase for the ecofriendly removal when its broken and trown away
theres allso talk about a pay per mile plan in wish cars get a black box recording the distance driven and that sortah stuff

germany is a little different they pay tax through the fuel so the more miles or lower milage the more tax they pay wish i think is a honest way that way if you park a car because you dont have the money to drive it you dont pay for having the car

Last edited by watahyahknow; 02-26-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #50
RANDY COX

Well it's forced me to do the unthinkable,I went to a small vehicle that now gets 25-30 mpg,verses 10 mpg,So my burb has been sitting for about 2-3 weeks.I do miss driveing the ole beast.Guess now it will be an every now and then instead of daily driver.