The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #26
jd4300fel

Re: HEI coil in cap dizzys

I just put an HEI on my 72 bbc, the only thing I can add other than the simpliest upgrade yet, is watch what plug wire you get I had to go with wires from a 75 with a 454 in it to get the straight plug boots that I needed. I also picked up mine off of ebay 50 bucks

Friend of Bill W
jd4300fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #27
Random Guy

I just bought one of the Skip White HEI's after reading this post and will be putting it on this weekend. Are there any tricks or tips to look out for with that one I should know of? Also any advice on plugs that will compliment those well?

1968 C10 Fleetside LWB

Remember Cthulu is watching you!

/ (@) (@) \
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
mexgrhd68

Smile Re: HEI coil in cap dizzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
I just bought one of the Skip White HEI's after reading this post and will be putting it on this weekend. Are there any tricks or tips to look out for with that one I should know of? Also any advice on plugs that will compliment those well?
wanna see some pics and let me know how it works, I seen these on ebay and they look nice.
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #29
Random Guy

Well didnt get it to this weekend. I had to many things going and not enough time. Hopefully I will get to it sometime this week.

1968 C10 Fleetside LWB

Remember Cthulu is watching you!

/ (@) (@) \
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #30
old Chevy guy

I put a second hand stock GM hei distributer in my 69 Camaro Convertible in 1986.22 year,100,000 miles 2 moters,same module no problem!!!!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #31
mexgrhd68

Quote:
Well didnt get it to this weekend. I had to many things going and not enough time. Hopefully I will get to it sometime this week.
still waiting, patiently, random guy.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #32
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexgrhd68 View Post
just wondering, do these trucks run a ballast resistor to go to the coil or is this just for the earlier trucks?? If so, pics would be nice to show how to connect with pertronix kit if I decide to keep this in.
I had the impression that the HEI units ran 12 V, w/out any resistor (resistor wire).

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #33
mexgrhd68

Quote:
I think I'm on my 100th cup of joe, Random Guy, Still waiting for picture and your comments on the skip white dizzy.................
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #34
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Just so you don't get coffee logged here is a couple of pictures of the Skip White HEI I just installed in the beater. So far so good. If I had it to do over I wouldn't get the 8.5mm universal plug wires. Putting the ends on them was a pain in the a$$. I would buy a set of ready made 7 or 8mm.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #35
cruiserman

I bought one and installed it last weekend on my 402. It works great. Idles smoother and better acceleration than the tire GM HEI I had in there.
cruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #36
ckhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
I had the impression that the HEI units ran 12 V, w/out any resistor (resistor wire).

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
You are not wrong. HEI units run best on full voltage, not the reduced voltage used for a points distributor. I typically re-run ignition wiring so that the original 9V-ish ignition wire engages an ignition relay that supplies full battery voltage to the HEI distributor.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #37
mexgrhd68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Just so you don't get coffee logged here is a couple of pictures of the Skip White HEI I just installed in the beater. So far so good. If I had it to do over I wouldn't get the 8.5mm universal plug wires. Putting the ends on them was a pain in the a$$. I would buy a set of ready made 7 or 8mm.

LockDoc
Looks nice!! while I was debating whether to use the pertronix or use an HEI type dizzy, I went ahead and sent pertronix my old module, since it was still under warranty, just recieved in the mail on friday had it mocked up on an old dizzy that I had laying around, because the module has to be gapped and I am gonna install back in my truck tommorrow. Hope this was the problem, if not I guess I will send pertronix their coil, still under warranty, to get a new one and hope this is the problem, because if not I'm stumped I don't know what else it could be.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #38
mexgrhd68

Quote:
Looks nice!! while I was debating whether to use the pertronix or use an HEI type dizzy, I went ahead and sent pertronix my old module, since it was still under warranty, just recieved in the mail on friday had it mocked up on an old dizzy that I had laying around, because the module has to be gapped and I am gonna install back in my truck tommorrow. Hope this was the problem, if not I guess I will send pertronix their coil, still under warranty, to get a new one and hope this is the problem, because if not I'm stumped I don't know what else it could be.
Well,friends, this case is closed!! found out I had a burnt wire, so I spliced it and repaired it, Oh I failed to mention that the bad wire was found by my 16 year old "gearhead". I went out this morning and hooked up the pertronix kit and the truck still didn't want to start, so I got a little "angry" and put the tools away, but my son continued on and found the problem. proud of him, he has more patience than I do and he is so fired up about working on cars. In fact he works on his 54 caddy every weekend at my dads house, coming along pretty good, gonna be a good experience for him and it is also giving him a head start on his schooling, he wants to pursue this type of work so he is planning to enroll at the Wyotech center in Sacramento as soon as he graduates from high school next year. So I'm happy that my truck is finally back on the road and I probably didn't even need to bother with the old pertronix module I had in there.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #39
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Well,friends, this case is closed!! found out I had a burnt wire, so I spliced it and repaired it, Oh I failed to mention that the bad wire was found by my 16 year old "gearhead". I went out this morning and hooked up the pertronix kit and the truck still didn't want to start, so I got a little "angry" and put the tools away, but my son continued on and found the problem. proud of him, he has more patience than I do and he is so fired up about working on cars. In fact he works on his 54 caddy every weekend at my dads house, coming along pretty good, gonna be a good experience for him and it is also giving him a head start on his schooling, he wants to pursue this type of work so he is planning to enroll at the Wyotech center in Sacramento as soon as he graduates from high school next year. So I'm happy that my truck is finally back on the road and I probably didn't even need to bother with the old pertronix module I had in there.
That's great!
It was even better that your young blood found the problem.

I've heard that Wyotech is a good trade school, and this goes way back to when you had to go to Wyoming to attend. Yeah. I'm that freaking old.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #40
mexgrhd68

Quote:
That's great!
It was even better that your young blood found the problem.

I've heard that Wyotech is a good trade school, and this goes way back to when you had to go to Wyoming to attend. Yeah. I'm that freaking old.
Yeah, I'm proud of him this is the second time he has bailed me out on some kind of problem in our cars here at home.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #41
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Yeah, I'm proud of him this is the second time he has bailed me out on some kind of problem in our cars here at home.
I'm of the mind never hold a kid back.

My son built his 1st engine (BB for my flat bottom) when he was 15. (I was looking over his shoulder, every step) I made him end gap every ring & make sure that the rings went back into the same cylinder they were gapped for, plastigage every bearing, etc.
When we finally got the boat in the water & putted around for about 1/2 hour, I asked him something like, "You think you did a good job of putting the motor together?" He said, "Yeah."
I said, "We'll see."
I nailed the throttle and spun that sucker to 6 grand, plus a little, and held it.
It was still running good years later.

Gotta love the kids.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #42
mexgrhd68

Quote:
I'm of the mind never hold a kid back.

My son built his 1st engine (BB for my flat bottom) when he was 15. (I was looking over his shoulder, every step) I made him end gap every ring & make sure that the rings went back into the same cylinder they were gapped for, plastigage every bearing, etc.
When we finally got the boat in the water & putted around for about 1/2 hour, I asked him something like, "You think you did a good job of putting the motor together?" He said, "Yeah."
I said, "We'll see."
I nailed the throttle and spun that sucker to 6 grand, plus a little, and held it.
It was still running good years later.

Gotta love the kids.
thats f#@$!%# cool! better to have them tinker around than screwing around out in the streets, IMO.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 AM   #43
ed2552

I have done every scrap of work on my truck in the past 2 wks, with assistance from you guys, but all of the work done was by me, and i am darn proud of it.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #44
mexgrhd68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2552 View Post
I have done every scrap of work on my truck in the past 2 wks, with assistance from you guys, but all of the work done was by me, and i am darn proud of it.
Cool
Old 04-04-2008, 04:11 AM   #45
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2552 View Post
And you should be!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #46
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I have had several of the modules fail in my HEIs...and it is easy to change, on the road, in the truck. It is a hassle to try & get to an auto parts & back when you break down away from home.
So I always buy a new hypo modulator, install it and put the old/good modulator in the glovebox for emergencies. Run on the good one & save the OK one.
There is a new compact elec dist on the market. It uses an external coil and NOT HEI components. There is no history or experience on it, so I would also get a spare module for it. I may look into it later. I hate to be the "tester" for new stuff.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #47
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Can a new GM HEI unit be purchased for use on our trucks(if so where?), or do you have to keep an eye out for a reman?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #48
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
I have had several of the modules fail in my HEIs...and it is easy to change, on the road, in the truck. It is a hassle to try & get to an auto parts & back when you break down away from home.
So I always buy a new hypo modulator, install it and put the old/good modulator in the glovebox for emergencies. Run on the good one & save the OK one.
There is a new compact elec dist on the market. It uses an external coil and NOT HEI components. There is no history or experience on it, so I would also get a spare module for it. I may look into it later. I hate to be the "tester" for new stuff.
Aw come on bud. Somebody has to be the "official tester" for all the new stuff.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #49
mexgrhd68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Aw come on bud. Somebody has to be the "official tester" for all the new stuff.
as my kids say,"do it, do it, do it, do it!".
Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #50
cruiserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CHIP72 View Post
Can a new GM HEI unit be purchased for use on our trucks(if so where?), or do you have to keep an eye out for a reman?
Get one out of a boneyard and rebuild it.
cruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote