The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #26
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Re: ColordoK5 Introduction

Heres what I'd like to do. I'm going to run what I've got for now but this would be sweet...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219057

I probably wouldn't run the magna charger because of cost but you can squeeze some serious reliable hp and torque out of a stock 6.0.... Not bad mpg from what I hear either.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #27
ColoradoK5

Thanks 4 the help/suggestions there are so many options they are mind numbing. i agree a LS... Motor would be the way to go but it's just not in the budget or time frame. I think i will go with a crate motor and carb 4 now until i get more info on FI and the budget to back it up. Summer is near and i want to get out and enjoy some time with the top off!!
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #28
ColoradoK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Heres what I'd like to do. I'm going to run what I've got for now but this would be sweet...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219057

I probably wouldn't run the magna charger because of cost but you can squeeze some serious reliable hp and torque out of a stock 6.0.... Not bad mpg from what I hear either.

I would love to have that setup
Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #29
ColoradoK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie72 View Post
nice ride, and welcome, good to see other outdoorsmen here also..
I love hunting and fishing just never seem to have enough time to do has much anymore only a couple of times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubBlazer View Post
Thats a good picture of in on the trail in its natural enviroment
Yeah i think this is one of my favorite pics, i had a nice one of it on top of the Continental Divide i guess i will have to head up there again and take some more pics..
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 AM   #30
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 View Post
Thanks 4 the help/suggestions there are so many options they are mind numbing. i agree a LS... Motor would be the way to go but it's just not in the budget or time frame. I think i will go with a crate motor and carb 4 now until i get more info on FI and the budget to back it up. Summer is near and i want to get out and enjoy some time with the top off!!
A stock TBI set up is super easy to install and cheap.
Big jump from a carb in both performance and driveability.

Just throwing it out there, the other suggestions are great too.

If your looking for a new motor that's great to drive and simple to maintain, I'd go 355 crate motor with a stock TBI and serp belt assembly.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #31
ColoradoK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
A stock TBI set up is super easy to install and cheap.
Big jump from a carb in both performance and driveability.

Just throwing it out there, the other suggestions are great too.

If your looking for a new motor that's great to drive and simple to maintain, I'd go 355 crate motor with a stock TBI and serp belt assembly.
I will look into that, Thanks VT I like all the mods you have on your Blazer. I am just in a crunch to get a lot done on a limited budget, i know everyone here knows how that goes. doesn't hurt to look but it can cost U $$
Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 AM   #32
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

You could probably pick up a low mileage LS engine out of a wreck for way less than a ramjet 350. I would think anyways.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #33
Huck

Budget performance===pick up a GM crate 350 for the time being--run an edelbrock 1406 carb on a stock intake and stock exhaust with an HEI ignition. What more power, swap up to some vortec heads/intake will give you 30-40+HP!!. THEN if you need more power, go for a performance cam, headers and a bottle of nitro-flip the switch and---you will pump way more then a semi stock big block for half the money, much less weight and get way better mpg for when you just want to cruse. Budget performance, as you need it! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #34
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Budget performance===pick up a GM crate 350 for the time being--run an edelbrock 1406 carb on a stock intake and stock exhaust with an HEI ignition. What more power, swap up to some vortec heads/intake will give you 30-40+HP!!. THEN if you need more power, go for a performance cam, headers and a bottle of nitro-flip the switch and---you will pump way more then a semi stock big block for half the money, much less weight and get way better mpg for when you just want to cruse. Budget performance, as you need it! Huck

I like this option, but I disagree it will give you better mpg. With that setup in a Blazer, depending on tranny/rear gearing, you'd be doing great to get 14 mpg. Fuel injection will definately get better mpg... JMO.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #35
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
I like this option, but I disagree it will give you better mpg. With that setup in a Blazer, depending on tranny/rear gearing, you'd be doing great to get 14 mpg. Fuel injection will definately get better mpg... JMO.
An over drive is more attributed to better mpg than fuel injection.

Having both is better yet.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #36
ColoradoK5

well after looking more and more into it i think my budget is going to allow a 350/290 hp gm crate run a 600 Edleborck carb and stock manifold i already have. this will give me a good base to work from i think. i just want to get this thing running before mid May.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #37
71RestoRod

Quote:
well after looking more and more into it i think my budget is going to allow a 350/290 hp gm crate run a 600 Edleborck carb and stock manifold i already have. this will give me a good base to work from i think. i just want to get this thing running before mid May.
Wise choice.

Hope to see that great looking rig on the road & on the trail real soon... and a belated welcome from Evergreen.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #38
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

The only time I'll consider parking my K-5 & K-20 are when the gas bill is bigger than the combination of a new (more economical) 4 X 4 truck and its associated maintenance/fuel bill. Maybe not the best logic, but having a truck that is paid for (for the most part) is still ahead of the game.

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #39
ColoradoK5

Well I guess i will bring you guys up to date on the Blazer. Well in April i bought a Custom Harley (Fatboy) and have not really had the money or the time to put into the Blazer like i was planning. But i think i got my budget back and will be moving foreward with the Blazer. I have bought new inner fenders, a better hatch, new rubber for the top and a Vintage Air heater. I decided to shave the firewall. nothing needing new pictures but as soon as i start doing some work i will be sure to put them up here.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #40
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Well I guess i will bring you guys up to date on the Blazer. Well in April i bought a Custom Harley (Fatboy) and have not really had the money or the time to put into the Blazer like i was planning. But i think i got my budget back and will be moving foreward with the Blazer. I have bought new inner fenders, a better hatch, new rubber for the top and a Vintage Air heater. I decided to shave the firewall. nothing needing new pictures but as soon as i start doing some work i will be sure to put them up here.

I have the 260 hp model crate motor and it's exactly the same as the 290 hp except for the cam. From what I understand the cam is a duplicate of what came in some old corvettes and from what I hear it's not hardly any different that what I have. For the extra money you would pay for the 290 hp you could just buy the 260 hp and swap the cam and still save money. That's what I would do, if I did it all over again.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #41
ColoradoK5

thanks, 4 the heads up I will really look into before I make the purchase. There is a local GMPP here and they are a pretty honest group of guys. By the way you still happy with your 260hp? How is the motor overall?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #42
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
thanks, 4 the heads up I will really look into before I make the purchase. There is a local GMPP here and they are a pretty honest group of guys. By the way you still happy with your 260hp? How is the motor overall?
Yep, I only have 1000 miles on it but i've never had an issue. With the 3.08 gears I have and a manual tranny it does alright. Just goofing off one night I got the truck to about 105 pretty easy. I have a HEI, edelbrock performer intake and carb and hooker headers. Made good oil pressure too. I think for you it would be about right. Like I said, if you want to, maybe swap the cam before the install with a comp cams 4x4 cam or something equivalent.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #43
BLUE THUNDER

I just bought the same 260 hp crate motor from a local dealership and i'm just about ready to fire it up. I'll let you know how I like it. I've seen jtrux's truck, and it runs great. That's probably why I went w/the 260hp motor to begin with. Saving $ and gaining reliability was the way to go. Later, Mario
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
ColoradoK5

Thanks 4 the info on the 260hp Motor I am going down to double check pricing and availabilty. looking to get the motor by the end of the month.