The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #26
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Truck Value/Fuel Prices

The only vehicles I own are my 70 one ton longhorn, and the 72 3/4 ton burb... both are big blocks. I drive 12 miles round trip for work, and probably average another 10 miles a day on top of that.
Everyone else in my family is a whiney cry baby about fuel prices, and tell me I am not helping anything by driving big old guzzeling trucks.
It's what i want, and it all boils down to how much you want it.
I finally shut my dad up on the fuel thing... he has a small personal plane (ceccina) and when ever he says something about my MPG, I ask him what he spent last week to fly around in circles around the city. My gas is being used for transportation, my hobby money spent, doubles as transportation and to a point, investment.
Like i said.... how bad do you want it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #27
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

My 70 Chevy SWB is my daily driver and I wouldn't have it any other way. With my 327 and manual 5speed overdrive (NV3500) I get better gas mileage than all of the guys I work with. Especially the ones that have lift kits and 20+ rims. I work in construction and when I started I got a lot of heat about not having a new jacked up 4X4 (most of them never see a dirt road). Now all of the guys think my truck is great, better gas mileage, no payment!!!, appreciating and not depreciating value, cool factor (can't count how many guys come into my office to talk about the truck or try to buy it).

With the right upgrades, doing it yourself a little at a time while you still keep it drivable, these trucks can't be beat for an all around fun reliable vehicle, hobby, and even an investment. A lot of guys don't have the time and money for a car hobby or many hobbies at all, I know I don’t. But in my experience with my truck I have found that by using it as my daily driver I can justify many things I would not have been able to if it were just a weekend cruiser (Disc Brakes, Drop suspension, A/C,5-speed, power steering, power brakes, power locks, power windows, to name a few) . If you put a car payment amount of money into your truck a month you could build a killer truck. I don't even put close to that much money a month into mine and I am very happy with it’s over all appearance, comfort, and dependability. I just graduated college and I have a truck that a lot of my friends are waiting till retirement to build while they make a monthly payment on a new truck that loses thousands of dollars to depreciation each year, not that there is anything wrong with that. I was lucky to grow up on a farm and work in a NAPA store were I heard guys saying “If I would have just keep that car”, “ If I only knew back than how hard it would be to get another one”, “Just think how much it would be worth now”, and so on. So I decided to pick my favorite truck and keep it no matter what happened or how frustrated I got with fixing it up.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 AM   #28
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I drive my truck every day, and plan on doing so no matter what gas prices are.
Amen brother!

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #29
dan42

A lot of good reflections on our trucks. One common theme - the love of these vehicles. It is a passion with us, and always will be - I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we are the keepers of history, we are making sure that this piece of America will never be forgotten, because we feel it has added so much to what this country is. What is more American than an old Chevy truck? We are constantly reminded of our roots, of what we are, with these trucks, and there are very few things in this world that can do that. And I, for one, am proud to be able to continue in this tradition. The heck with gas prices.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #30
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I agree and disagree with parts of Tim's original post as well as a lot of others. It is simply nieve to think the the cost of fuel prices aren't hurting the value of these trucks, as well as the entire industry/hobby. Barrett-Jackson, the Moultrie, GA swap meet and every subsequent major classic car auction and swap meet this year has proved this. Its not so much about what the price of fuel costs for the collector car or truck, its the decrease in extra hobby/play/toy money that is the way bigger issue. In today's society, there are not as many communities as there once was that revolved around a central industry that supplied the majority of jobs for the community. Anyone who lives in a steel city or a cotton mill town can attest to this. Many more people every year have to commute further distances to get a good job as these industrial communities wither away. Just for example, the bi-city community where I live employed over 35,000 people in 9 different plants less than 15 years ago. The last plant closed it's doors this February. The ripple effect of other business that did work and services for these plants is immeasurable. 35,000 in 15 years are driving further to their jobs. My dad once worked there, and he commutes 80 miles round trip every day now. For most people, the first thing to get cut out when money gets tighter is your luxury, non-essential wants. For a lot of people, having and owning an old truck or muscle car is a luxury they can no longer afford. I have seen this also in my Ebay sales. Things that I could sell as many as I could find 2 years have become much slower moving. These are not just items in which the market is flooded now that I'm referring to either.

On the other side though, I agree that the hardcore enthusiast *raising my hand!* is not going to be waivered by it. I am in the catagory that has began to use one of these truck as my daily driver by choice. I have a 80,000 mile 2000 Z71 that rarely gets driven anymore. I have no plans to ever buy a new truck again. For years I spent thousands on top of thousands of dollars on several new trucks only to have their value drop like rocks in a pond. Some of them I loved when I got them and as time went by I wanted something else. The only constant has been my desire to own and truck one of these trucks. Fuel would have to go up to $10.00 a gallon or more to overcome the money I save driving my old trucks without a new truck payment.

As Tim mentioned in the first post, I am one of those lucky enough to live where I can drive mine everyday. I say c'mon down south buddy! You can buy better trucks for less money and enjoy them year 'round. My ultimate goal is to have a real nice daily driver (which is what I'm doing with my '69 C-10 now) and a top notch show truck that will see much fewer miles along with my dually, car hauler, Blazer, a few beaters and whatever other variation I decide I can't live without. (which reminds me, I still don't have a 'Burb!) My '69 SWB C-10 is getting a TPI 350 with Vintage Air, new paint, grill, body trim and upholstery - and I am going to drive the fool out of it. My show truck has got to be absolute perfect finest example of these trucks which my mind is a flawless black '67 SWB CST fleet with a body side molding, red interior and buddy buckets. The reality is though, with a newborn, a 4 yr old, a mortgage and $4.00 /gallon FUEL it will be a little while before I can realistically even begin to think about building or buying one of those. So for now, I'm gonna keep running and improving mine. The oil companies and tree huggers aren't banishing me to an Aveo!!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 05-04-2008 at 05:35 AM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #31
straitnate14

People dont understand until you slam there head into the back window the first time you give your truck a workout with them in it I love it when people go for a ride and are completly not ready for the asomeness of superchargers they dont say anything about gas prices after that
Old 05-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #32
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Gazaline...

This post is making me think about collecting spilling fuel in a dirty hubcap.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #33
OhNoJoe

I drove my 63 350 3 on the tree for years as a daily driver. I built a S-10 that uses no gas at all it runs on 20 -6 volt batteries lately I've been driving a 88 burb when I have to haul tools for HAbitat for Humanity and the 63 when I hual otherstuff. With the Electric Truck I tell folks my trucks gets 100 mpg.
OhNoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #34
Gray Ghost

I drive my '70 daily 30 miles in and 30 miles out. I rarely go a day without filling the bed with materials. My insurance is $35 a month [I'm old] and even though I spent $4500 last year in gas, it is still much cheaper than making payments on something I wouldn't like anyway, just to get a few more MPG.

My other classic is a 67 and it's getting a big block soon. No matter how much oil goes up I will drive my trucks!

Saving gas is the wife's job....her S10 gets 25 with the air blasting [2.2 4cyl, 5spd]. While many short getaways a year are made in this vehicle, we are driving the 70 up to Eureka Springs for the big car show and festival they have in September. Even paying for gas with my brick of a truck, the cost will be less than renting a gas saver. We're camping out that week so we have to have gear room.

So for all who drive your trucks daily or more than just on the weekend, you are the smart ones. All the money you save goes into your truck hopefully....it does at my house.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 05-05-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #35
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Can I get an AMEN??!?!?!.....those posts made me feel like I was at Sunday morning church!!!...
Amen!!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
chip46wis

67C-30 my thoughts exactly---people just dont have the frill money and prices are reflecting this
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #37
cruiserman

Yes, the high price of fuel has hurt the market for these trucks. At least that's what I have noticed locally. My cruiser gets 12MPG, and my 72 gets 10MPG. I ride my bike to work and anywhere else I can.

I rode my bike to CSK the other day to pick up a rebuild kit for my Qjet. Got a funny look from the parts guy.

For me, cars are a hobby, not transportation. The minivan is for that .
cruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #38
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
On the other side though, I agree that the hardcore enthusiast *raising my hand!* is not going to be waivered by it. I am in the catagory that has began to use one of these truck as my daily driver by choice. I have a 80,000 mile 2000 Z71 that rarely gets driven anymore. I have no plans to ever buy a new truck again.
Great post. Although I've never owned a brand new truck before, I highly doubt I'll ever buy another full size *newer* truck again. I'll run the Z71 into the ground, fix it, then rut it again. Been a great truck, only has 113K on it. But the cost of ownership of any truck is just too damn high to justify anymore (mine is paid for.)

Of course fuel affects our hobby... and EVERYTHING else.

I drive about 15K/year. Assuming I average 14mpg between my two trucks...

Gas was 1.80 here for most of 2005. It's now 3.40. Using approx. 1075 gallons per year that comes out to $1,935 and 3,225, respectively. That's $1,300 less cash in my hands than I had 2 years ago. Not to mention EVERYTHING else that has gone up that now costs more... food, clothing, steel, truck parts themselves (bumpers jumped $30-40 this year!).

Without getting into too much detail... I could EASILY put $600-800/MONTH away 2 years ago. Since January of this year, I'm averaging $2-300/MONTH, tops. I have no new bills over 2 years ago AND I've gotten 2 raises since then (but they sucked)....
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-03-2008 at 06:41 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #39
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Aint nothin gonna make me stop driving my old stuff

If I want mileage I drive a 59 Bug !!!
If I want power, I drive a 67 Chevy

No stupid Hybrid for me, never will be... I like my old skool thumpers

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #40
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Aint nothin gonna make me stop driving my old stuff

If I want mileage I drive a 59 Bug !!!
If I want power, I drive a 67 Chevy

No stupid Hybrid for me, never will be... I like my old skool thumpers

I've learned to never say never. Something that comes with age I said I'd never own another Toyota again, and now I have two of them...

What kinda mileage does the bug get? I've heard it's pretty darn good.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #41
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I drive this old 1990 Ramcharger as a DD.. I have 3500.00 tied up in it It has all the creature comforts and gets 17/18 MPG on the Highway and about 12 in the city and can pull my motorcycle trailer with a Goldwing on it with ease.

I've kept track of every mile I've driven and every gallon of gas I've put in my 72 with the 396/TH400 since 2001 when I bought it. My truck has averaged 10MPG ( 70% City and 30% Highway) over the 5000 miles I've driven it since I bought it. The pleasure factor in owning and driving it though, well you can't measure that!! I've thought of going to a 700R4 but that conversion would be about a 2000. touch for me as I cant do it myself. Even at todays gas prices to get the 2000 back it would take a long time as I just drive my 72 in the summer.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #42
tim21391

these trucks are fun to drive and i dont mind spending $3.45 a gallon as it is right now for it i love driving it!!
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #43
Shyguy

If I went to work every day my '71 Chevy C-10 farm truck would be my daily driver.

I retired last year, but drive my ole '71 when I have to pickup farm supplies or building supplies for my latest project. I am building a room addition to be used by my wife for sewing and craft work.

I am may be different than some, I drive my truck because it makes me feel good and reminds me of simplier times. I don't drive fast, I figure life is just to darn short to rush through it.

I can never see a time when I will sell my '71, I may sell all the rest of my newer vehicles at some point though.

Danny

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #44
SCOTI

These trucks are easier to afford as daily transportation when they see limited annual miles. I put about 120miles a week driving back/forth to work. My 74 gets a whopping 10mpg w/it's worn OE 350/350/3.42's & my 68 wasn't much better w/the 6cyl/3spd/3.73's @ 12-13mpgs.

What I couldn't do is have a $500mo X 5yrs truck payment + full coverage insurance on a new truck that only gets 16-20mpgs.

I'm trying to find a 5.3/4L60e combo now for swapping as I would rather pay $400 a month for 1yr on a loan & get that 16-20mpg in my 'cool', old, GM truck. Once I figure out the swap, I'll repeat the process in my other truck. Hopefully w/hindsight gained from the first swap, it will be a cheaper install & even more cost effective.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #45
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

When I was a senior in high school, I made $3.35 an hour & worked 18 hours a week. This was enough to keep my '68 on the road, paid for gas @ $1.16 a gallon, repairs & maintenence, etc. I make more $ by Monday morning break now than I did in a week back then. So even with rediculous gas prices today, I think I can swing driving my old truck more now than I did back then- as long as I keep my priorities straight

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #46
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

The gas prices don’t bother me too much but, I must admit, I take the car on long trips.

In the past few months my truck has begun to share the DD chores
but for reasons beyond the price of fuel.

C-10 is fun and my pride & joy but, at times, a PITA when the weathers bad, I have to park in an insecure spot,
I have to haul people, when I’ve got sensitive cargo or the roads are icy or snow covered.
It probably gets 10-12 MPG and costs very little to insure. Maintenance is a breeze.

My other DD is a 2002 Taurus SEL. The car weighs 3,400 pounds and gets 28 MPG.
She's ready to go…in comfort…at a moments notice, handles well in any weather,
is big enough to haul 5 folks and still close the trunk. It has the added safety of air bags,
traction control, ABS...and a Killer Stereo! Insurance and repairs are both
quite a bit higher…it goes in the shop when it needs anything.

I have roughly the same amount into my truck as the Taurus is worth.

If I had to get down to one vehicle? The C-10 would win hands down!
Why would anyone in their right mind chose a car that is depreciating over a truck that
gains value every year? I would have to pay some very high fuel costs to keep up with it.

Plus my C-10 is who I am. I’m a truck person, always have been and always will be.

When I’m driving the Taurus…I’m a person in a car.
When I’m driving my truck…it’s me and C-10!

....and no...it doesn't look like I'll be down to only one vehicle in the near future.....

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...

Last edited by ETsC10; 05-04-2008 at 05:14 AM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #47
pistolpapa

Not just my only daily driver for nine years...

But also a daily work truck:

And...

Our '71 K5 has pulled our 19' travel trailer down past Mazatlan and back, and out to Santa Barbara and back from southern Arizona getting only 8 miles per gallon.

Price of gas?

Who cares?

I will live on beans, tortillas and cerveza and keep our old K5.

pistolpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #48
RaceAGMC

I do not drive my truck daily. I truly can't afford it, but i have another car that gets 25-30MPG that i drive daily, and it's paid off. All of my vehicles are paid for. But, just because gas is at an all time high and no end in sight to it getting higher doesn't mean i am going to get rid of my 70. When i was a little boy my dad had a 72 and that is what kind of truck i hae wanted since i could even think about driving. But when it came time to get a vehicle i picked up the first thing i could afford. And it was not my 70. SO now over 10 years later i finally had enough money to get the truck i have always wanted, and it does not matter to me what gas is...it is just what I wanted and that's why i will not consider selling it because of the economy or gas prices. I am glad to see everyone else with the same views as me on the nostolgia of these trucks and their history with our familys. Keep on TRUCKIN' guys!
RaceAGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 AM   #49
HotGMC

My truck is my sole form of transportation, i have a mild modified 355 in there.. its ****in killing me at the pump.

the lowest Safeway gas is still around 3.87 but it goes up and down everyday.
Chevron - 3.91
Shell - 3.95

i dont even want to mention 91..
HotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:29 AM   #50
70clone

well to me if you go and spend 30k on a gas saver are you really saving money. the way i see it if i drove my truck daily id prolly spend im gonna go high and say 150.00 a week thats 200 weeks of driving.not to mention my insurance is really cheap and if something breaks man it is so cheap to fix ....starter $29 bucks... tank of gas $60 bucks ...pulling up next to a toyota prius at a redlight and leaving them in tire smoke

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 70clone; 05-13-2008 at 04:30 AM.
70clone is offline   Reply With Quote