The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #26
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: 4 spd shifting issues - HELP!

I talked to my old man, said it was just a real odd ball transmission. Weve got one apparently (hes at 150 cars and more parts than i think he knows he owns) and its sitting on one of our busses, learn something everyday.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 05-20-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Morning guys. Well it's not a Muncie. I wouldn't go wild with this. Take it one step at a time. First drail the fluid and look at it. Is there any large metal flakes or metalic debris in it? Was fluid level and type correct? Unless the PO was really abusive or the box was run out of fluid, I doubt the box is bad. I am not saying it isn't toast, but it is rather unlikely. Next do the shifter adjustments and see what happens. You may not correct the problem, BUT, if it changes the symptoms, your on the right track. At that point I would change out the shifter. If this changes nothing, pull the box and bell housing and inspect the clutch cover (pressure plate) look for all the fingers to be at the same height and in good shape. If height is different, clutch will not release or apply evenly and cause shift problems. Now check the condition of all the linkages, again not a likely source, but one never knows. If ALL else fails, it's time to put a 465 "rock crusher" in it. In all likelyhood your going to have drive shaft issues and you'll probably have to play with the crossmember and make a new hole in the floor for the shifter. No big deal, but time consuming. If it's a LWB 2 wheel drive you'll need a 2 piece drive shaft with "U" joints on both ends. If it's a LWB with 4WD you'll need a 1 piece drive shaft with a big yoke. I have the 2WD trans and the 2 piece shaft here. The singe piece shaft is pretty common. Let us all know how you do. jim.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #28
HanSoloWS6

Not much progress on this, except I have found a nut on the shifter end in the second pic that is completely off of the threads.

And to add to my list of mystery items, my '82 has a fuel filter and components for an '84. And it all looks factory installed. And this transmission that's in the truck is from an '84+. I swear it's an 82 lol. No big deal, it was just frustrating looking for some parts, like the filter. Oh, and from what I have been told the truck didn't come with a lift pump, just the block mounted fuel pump. I find that hard to believe, but who knows, I'm new to diesels lol.

Pop's Garage Photography - Dayton, Ohio

My Truck Build Page
HanSoloWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #29
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Your block mounted fuel pump actually acts as a lift pump. The fuel is presurized by the rotory pump in the lifter valley.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #30
HanSoloWS6

Yeah, I imagined that was the deal after looking over the truck and doing some other research.

Pop's Garage Photography - Dayton, Ohio

My Truck Build Page
HanSoloWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote