The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #26
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Re: Media Blasting Body - Worht the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salazar44 View Post
I dont think so. I believe a chemical etch of metal is required, not a mechanical etch. This would be like saying sanding is etching the metal, so no protection is required.
Yep, he's right. chemical etch is required. and remember that primer is not paint and it will not do well in the weather. my 62 looks like Black primer, but its painted satin black and left out for the sun to abuse and give the faded primer look.
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
tomlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c20 View Post
For anyone interested, the shop that is doing the work is Blasting Specialties and Powder Coating. http://www.blastingspecialtiesandpow...g.com/home.htm

They will be powder-coating frame, all suspension parts, and axle housing for 575. Seem like a fair place to work with and I will give a full report on the quality of their work in my build thread for anyone interested in having work done in So-Cal.
Do you have anything to report on Blasting Specialties? I am in Los Angeles and am looking for a good media blaster.
tomlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #28
83burban

When I visited the facility I was very impressed. Lee, the guy who owns the place was very knowledgeable and let me crawl around the shop looking at all the different cars, frames, and things that had just arrived, been blasted, and were finished. Most shops get angry when I ask to look around, but he had no problem with it. Thus far I have been extremely pleased.

I pick up the parts either tomorrow or Saturday, depending on what my schedule is like, so I will have some before and after shots of the frame and suspension.

Also, he media blasted the cab and shot 2 coats of a metal etching primer over it. I plan on taking the rest of my body panels to him later next week

The total bill thus far: 1000 dollars
Powder Coating: Frame, 2 cross-members, rear control arms, axle housing, front lower and upper control arms
Blasting/Primer: Cab

I estimate another 750 or so for the remainder of the body panels to be blasted and primered, and maybe another 200 or so for just blasting of small parts. If you want more info, you can call me at 626.298.4897 (Kurt) or call him direct - 1-323-721-5020 (Lee)
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote