The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #26
Mike 85
Face your fears

Re: best paint stripper

It's a PITA reguardless of "what" you use to "strip" with. Most times it's a combination of of them.
Blasting of any sort does a great job but you'll be forever dealing with media coming from places till the day you sell or get rid of it.Too much pressure and you'll be warping panels,etc.
Stripper only works on paint and such,no effect at all on rust so you have to use other means on it.Some paint jobs are so thick you have to use multiple applications. Need to wash it down to remove it,Great,just what you want on your bare metal.
Sanding is great but if your not well versed in using one,you can make a wreck of the the project or use the wrong stuff and take forever.
Soda has been found in the last couple of years to be a problem child.
As VS said,it hangs in pockets and soda IS salt basically.Leaves a residue on the metal that unless thourghly scrubbed clean,NO paint product will adhere to therfor,many paint manuf are saying no to it's use.THis info is all over the web and I know SPI is totally against using it.
I personally use all the above except soda and it just depends on "what" I have to do or what.

My Junk
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #27
Dave Reed

Thanks for the info
Dave Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #28
z400rider8787

i got mine at auto zone. most of the dumb parts stores that sell more junk to glue to your import like auto zone schucks, crager, all those places usually have it and i think wal mart even carries the sprayable kind i know rustoleum and kleen strip both make a sprayable version
z400rider8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #29
BigDan3131

There's always walnut shell blasting...but then you have to haul the ride to them for that. Eight layers ya say? Hmm I wonder how much filler is burried under that. I don't think aircraft stripper does anything to that other than make a soggy mess.
Depending on your time, a lot of people do just one panel at a time and maybe your best bet is to use a high speed grinder. Using 36 grit or rougher just strip it that way. I have discs that are as rough as 14 grit and only use those when faced with an inch of filler.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #30
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Strippers-R-Us has the right stripper for you.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #31
kev2809
low n' slo

I seen the wal mart kind but im not sure I trust their brands. I wanted to use their rust converter but not sure if it actually worked or not
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #32
JFP Motorsports Div

Aircraft stripper - without a doubt!
JFP Motorsports Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

I bought 1 can of aircraft stripper and didn't follow the directions very well. I used the entire can over the entire hood, too thin of a coat so it only took off like 2 coats of paint. Directions told me to put on a heavy coat, trial and error. I learned my lesson at like 8 bucks a can.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #34
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

so far i've gone through 3 cans of this aircraft paint stripper on my hood.
I'm about 35 percent through the paint. Not very cost effective since for the same 25 bucks i could've just bought sand paper and taken the time get the whole thing down. I would have to get at least 6 more cans to have the whole thing down to metal. at 8 bucks a can that's pushing close to 75 bucks just to get the paint off the hood. They also sell what look like half gallon jugs of the same stuff for like 40 bucks. I could see this being alot messier to apply, but probably would work better than the spray can which is always a waste of product.
I don't know, what's some opinions?
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 05-28-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #35
JFP Motorsports Div

It cost me 75 dollars (@24.99 per/gal x3) to do an entire truck, which had multiple layers of paint (one galon was wasted on first attempt, let it sit for too long) - anyways I don't know what your method is but if applied correctly and the proper tools are used to scrape off the paint it shouldn't cost 75 dollars for just the hood.

I was literally "shaving" layers with a putty knife...
JFP Motorsports Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #36
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmonkeypunk View Post
so far i've gone through 3 cans of this aircraft paint stripper on my hood.
I'm about 35 percent through the paint. Not very cost effective since for the same 25 bucks i could've just bought sand paper and taken the time get the whole thing down. I would have to get at least 6 more cans to have the whole thing down to metal. at 8 bucks a can that's pushing close to 75 bucks just to get the paint off the hood. They also sell what look like half gallon jugs of the same stuff for like 40 bucks. I could see this being alot messier to apply, but probably would work better than the spray can which is always a waste of product.
I don't know, what's some opinions?
[IMG][/IMG]
When you put the stripper on brush only in one direction with a heavy coat. Then cover with plastic to keep it wet once it dies its not as active.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-28-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #37
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

i had the spray can type. So i need to get the gallon jug of it. What kind of plastic should i cover it with?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
bigsnookmaster

Go to an auto paint store and get a gallon of aircraft stripper and just cover it with visqueen.Do yourself a favor and wear eye protection and rubber gloves and have a wet rag handy in case you get it on your skin. Also get a good scraper that you can put some "ass into".Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #39
Shane
Account Suspended

garbage bags or even old dry cleaner bags work great ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #40
z400rider8787

ya the trick is to put it on thick and keep it wet, so if you can do it at night when its cool and cover it with plastic like he said, and make sure you scrape it before it dries other wise it will stick back to the metal. for large open areas i think sanding is easier, i just put a 80 grit wheel on my DA and go to town, but where the aircraft remover is handy is in tight spots where you would have to sand by hand and i agree that the gallon form is much more efficient, messier but way better, and definetly follow the instructions when it says brush in one direction, it has a evaporation retardent in it that you will ruin if you brush it all over. it took me a lot of trial and error and wasted stripper to figure this out, i found that the spray is kinda nice for really tight areas but is pretty much worthless
Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #41
z400rider8787

for a large area like your hood if you want to use stripper vs. sanding just dump it on, back and forth over the hood then spread it out gently with a brush to fill the gaps, then cover it and WAIT.... patience is the key but not so long it dries keep an eye on it. then scrape it all off you will be amazed and keep a wet rag for sure i have a nice fat scab from where i got some on me
Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #42
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

i'm about to pick up a jug right now. i'll letcha know how it turns out
Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #43
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

i found smaller jugs of the stuff at oreilly's auto parts for like 10 bucks... wayy better deal than advanced auto parts had. I've used some of it and am waiting for the first coat to be ready. This stuff smells the same as the spray can, but seems alot easier to use. just as messy as the spray can stuff except for no drifting fumes from the spray can. smells like hair dye.