The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #26
dmw319

Re: Drive Shaft Center Support Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I recently replaced the center support bearing and it was very easy. I cannot fathom the need to have someone else do this very simple task. Just mark the relationship of the two driveshaft sections relative to each other. Remove the u-joint, remove the yoke bolt. Drive off the support bearing (used a chisel). Install new bearing and use bolt to press it on (ensure you have the alignment marks matched up). Install u-joint and done. No balance issues because nothing was changed.
thanks, this was more what I was thinking. what do you mean by 'use bolt to press it on'?

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

When I did mine, the u-joints were shot as well. I had to have all 3 replaced as well as the carrier bearing.
It was actually cheaper to have the 1 piece driveshaft made and put in than it was to have the 3 u-joints and carrier bearing replaced.

Both prices were having them do all the work. I drove in, got 2 quotes, and went with the more awesome of the two choices.

I didn't have to do any grinding or anything to fit the longer driveshaft in there. Just took out the carrier bearing and done.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #28
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
When I did mine, the u-joints were shot as well. I had to have all 3 replaced as well as the carrier bearing.
It was actually cheaper to have the 1 piece driveshaft made and put in than it was to have the 3 u-joints and carrier bearing replaced.

Both prices were having them do all the work. I drove in, got 2 quotes, and went with the more awesome of the two choices.

I didn't have to do any grinding or anything to fit the longer driveshaft in there. Just took out the carrier bearing and done.
thanks for the info.

my carrier bearing and u-joints were all replaced in 2007 (less than 20k miles ago). so hopefully I can just do the center support bearing and be done with it!

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #29
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw319 View Post
thanks, this was more what I was thinking. what do you mean by 'use bolt to press it on'?
Put center support bearing on driveshaft, fit yoke in place and used yoke center bolt to "press" bearing home. I lubricated bolt to ensure I did not damage the threads. Once bearing was seated, I backed out bolt, flatten washer a bit, cleaned grease off threads (bolt and bore) and used blue Loctite on the bolt. At least that is how I remembered doing it.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
46stude

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post

Short or long bed? Just want to clarify, thanks.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #31
nzc10

I recently replaced
mine with a nolathane bush and alloy housing unit i think around $120 which should last very easy job i also replaced the u joints no need to balance drive shaft all you need is a vice and some 1/2 inch sockets if get stuck a workshop manual is very helpfull
85 302 Jaguar
99 955 Daytona
10 1050 Speed Triple
nzc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:13 AM   #32
wbc409

If all you are doing is replacing the hanger bearing there is no need for a re-balance. If you are running a lot of power I would give inland empire a call. They aren't cheap but there are guys running 10 's with 2 piece drive shafts
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #33
brad_man_72
the boat guy

"Nothing was changed" I've balanced thousands of multiple piece drivelines. You can take a balanced shaft from the balancer, mark everything, change a carrier bearing or ujoint, put it back together using the marks, and the balance WILL change. It doesn't have to make sense to you for it to be true.

These light duty carriers can't handle any vibration, the brace will break.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,

Last edited by brad_man_72; 04-25-2015 at 08:42 AM.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #34
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzc10 View Post
I recently replaced
mine with a nolathane bush and alloy housing unit i think around $120 which should last very easy job i also replaced the u joints no need to balance drive shaft all you need is a vice and some 1/2 inch sockets if get stuck a workshop manual is very helpfull
No need to rebalance. True that hanger isn't going to break with any ammount of vibration. However I really hope that when you installed a slip and stub in the rear shaft you had the driveshaft balanced.

You did have a slip and stub installed in the rear shaft right? The billet carrier doesn't allow for any movement forward and back like the old carrier, somethings got to move when that suspension goes up and down. There's a reason that every other vehicle made 73+ that has a 2 piece driveshaft has a slip in the rear shaft.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,

Last edited by brad_man_72; 04-25-2015 at 08:43 AM.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #35
lowbucktrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw319 View Post
what's a typical price for having the center support bracket installed and driveshaft balanced?
Just had mine done, $189 for 3 u joints , carrier bearing, and balance.
the only thing I didn't like was when they balanced it weight was 180 degrees from old weight (still on)
I'm not far from you so prices should be similar

Old school mechanic in my area (the one I really trust) says he takes driveshafts to driveline shop for u joint replacement. If he does it, I think I better
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #36
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46stude View Post
Short or long bed? Just want to clarify, thanks.
Long bed.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #37
Redline novdog

My son was driving my '67 and the carrier{center brg} brg went. I used this thread for inspiration. Name:  HPIM2349.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  HPIM2350.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  HPIM2351.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  HPIM2352.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 05-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #38
Redline novdog

The harbor freight ball joint tool is way cool and cheap.The trans slip yoke I ordered from Dennys Driveshafts. The guy I talked to after the shop closed gave me a number for the slip yoke 2-3-4911-x to order. Said this will fit the original is no longer produced. hopefully be hear Monday, The gu at Dennysdriveshafts was very knowledgeable!The reason for replacement,big grooves in the yoke
Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #39
custom10nut

Thumbs up Re: Drive Shaft Center Support Bearing

I've replaced mine twice in the last 24 years. The first time was kinda tough, because the only thing I knew was what I learned from watching my dad replace one on his truck, when I was a kid. A lot of patience and finesse is needed to get the original bearing to come loose. After you get it loose it's an easy task. (The second time I did it was to replace a cheap Chinese bearing that failed in less than a year. It's replacement has been working for about 12000 trouble free miles) While I do agree, wholeheartedly, that it's best to take it to a professional, if the budget doesn't allow, you CAN do it yourself. Holler at me if you need anything more.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote