The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #26
stope4

Re: Factory A/C or aftermarket??

my ears must be more sensitive.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
jorgensensc

Either that or you drive really nice newer cars with super quiet A.C.'s. I know our '06 Trailblazer SS is really loud on high. It isn't necessarily the blower, but the air coming out of the vents is loud. I have to turn it down to talk on the phone. Regardless I only use it for a few minutes when I first start the car. Again, JMHO.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #28
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Fan noise on my '96 GMC is also loud, when the fan is on high. When it's on low, no problemo. Following is a picture of my firewall where the A/C unit mounts. Regardless of the source of the A/C system (OEM/Aftermarket), there still has to be some metal work. I didn't know the full extent of the damage until I removed the housing. Where the evaporator and heater core mount is good. It's just the area where the fan goes and where the air blows through the firewall that is gimped up.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #29
SCOTI

Yikes. 'Gimped-up' is being conservative on that assessment. We would categorize that as fubar (but..... I am in TX).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #30
stope4

that is a serious leak, but probably not from the ac. I think Vintage fan noise is louder than factory on low too. I never said on high. I will agree that the noise coming out of the vents for both factory and Vintage is about the same regardless of setting. But, and this is a big but, the factory has no noise from under the dash from a motor spinning a fan. Vintage does.

Look, I don't want to trash Vintage. I think they make a valuable product for factory non-ac cars and for people who think Vintage is better than factory. I'm not one of those people. I think factory is better. It's bigger and more bulky but it's not an inferior product. My factory ac does not fog my windows so I don't have to wait 5 minutes for the windshield to clear. To me that shows that the factory figured something out that Vintage has not or has chosen to ignore. I don't want my windows fogging just because I turned the ac on in the morning. The other reason is, I don't want extra noise in the cab from a humming motor turning a spinning fan blade. Even Vintage will admit that. It's slight but it is there and it's not coming out of the vents. It's coming from under the dash where you mount the Vintage blower unit.And that does add noise inside the cab, whether you can notice it or not. I can. I have chosen to eliminate both of these issues by going factory in a factory ac cab. If my cab was non-ac, I would go with Vintage or Classic or someone aftermarket and deal with the added noise.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #31
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean by this comment?
It has to do with a fresh air inlet. The factory A/C has one in the grill. The aftermarket ones do not have the fresh air inlet.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #32
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Fan noise on my '96 GMC is also loud, when the fan is on high. When it's on low, no problemo. Following is a picture of my firewall where the A/C unit mounts. Regardless of the source of the A/C system (OEM/Aftermarket), there still has to be some metal work. I didn't know the full extent of the damage until I removed the housing. Where the evaporator and heater core mount is good. It's just the area where the fan goes and where the air blows through the firewall that is gimped up.
Good luck on fixing your cab dude, I admire your attemp and your attachment to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
that is a serious leak, but probably not from the ac. I think Vintage fan noise is louder than factory on low too. I never said on high. I will agree that the noise coming out of the vents for both factory and Vintage is about the same regardless of setting. But, and this is a big but, the factory has no noise from under the dash from a motor spinning a fan. Vintage does.

Look, I don't want to trash Vintage. I think they make a valuable product for factory non-ac cars and for people who think Vintage is better than factory. I'm not one of those people. I think factory is better. It's bigger and more bulky but it's not an inferior product. My factory ac does not fog my windows so I don't have to wait 5 minutes for the windshield to clear. To me that shows that the factory figured something out that Vintage has not or has chosen to ignore. I don't want my windows fogging just because I turned the ac on in the morning. The other reason is, I don't want extra noise in the cab from a humming motor turning a spinning fan blade. Even Vintage will admit that. It's slight but it is there and it's not coming out of the vents. It's coming from under the dash where you mount the Vintage blower unit.And that does add noise inside the cab, whether you can notice it or not. I can. I have chosen to eliminate both of these issues by going factory in a factory ac cab. If my cab was non-ac, I would go with Vintage or Classic or someone aftermarket and deal with the added noise.
I guess you really don't like extra noise.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #33
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yikes. 'Gimped-up' is being conservative on that assessment. We would categorize that as fubar (but..... I am in TX).
...yeah, but SNAFU is what I have learned is not uncommon. These trucks have a built-in problem, especially when you add leaves to dust and then throw in some rain. There's no place for it to drain from in the plenums. Add in a previous owners attempt to stop the leak by using non-automotive RTV silicone sealant, which emits acetic acid as it cures, and you have the ingredients for what I have found. I pulled out chunks of cured RTV, and I'm guessing he used a caulk gun to put it in place. At least what he put at the juncture of the windshield and the rubber, wasn't at the juncture of the windshield and the body!

But, it could have been worse. The bulk of the metal around it is solid. The size of the picture really shows up the worst part. I guess you can say that I'm committed, but I have too much invested in other parts, although a good, dry (rust-free) south Texas cab would be a serious item to consider. I'm thinking about one like a great-nephew has in San Antonio....which isn't for sale.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
Gray Ghost

To me it's a no-brainer to clean up the firewall and go aftermarket. I have found the best deal in town on an aftermarket air system...$675 for a heat/cool/defrost unit that can either be plumbed into the AC dash vents or use their own vents that mount underdash for those who don't want to change out their dash. You can get the typical 'dealer style' bulky vent system as well.

Here's his contact info if you want to check the systems out, he has several.

Lucky’s Rod & Kustom
1006 S. Kaufman Street
Ennis, TX

Universal A/C Systems & Street Rod Parts

Specializing in Complete A/C Systems starting at $500, Sanden Compressors, A/C, Alt, Ps, Brackets, A/C Installs, Brake Kits, EZ Wire Harness and Power Windows, Dolphin Gauges, and LED Lights.

Look me up on the web at www.freewebs.com/luckysrodandkustom
Or give me a call or email for a free brochure at
972-875-2741/ my cell 469-337-9307.
My email is street-products@sbcglobal.net

Owner- Shane Gill
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #35
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Sounds like a great deal....thanks for the info.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #36
j-dogg

Everyone has been mentioning the Vintage Air setup, but no one has chimed in on the Old Air systems. Probably the same issues as Vintage Air, but I don't know. The only air conditioning I have on my truck right now is, as my brother refers to it, "window conditioning."
j-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote