The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #26
killer_mike
Big Red & Mister Blue...

Re: K10 Running hot

Yep no thermostat, i pressure tested the cooling system to 16 psi, great. Used a block tester to find if there was exhaust fumes or any fumes other than coolant/water vapors, nothing either.
No smoke at all, no coolant at the tail pipe, no oil in the coolant and the other way around. Yeah i will change those head gaskets, even if they are not bad, just for the heck of it; oh and lets not forget i burped the system too.

But right now is running fine, but like i said, i will change the head gaskets just for fun, cause the engine dont feel as strong as i thought, might be head gaskets and/or truck is too heavy for just a 290hp/326ft/p engine.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #27
killer_mike
Big Red & Mister Blue...

Its been a while. I took the heads off quite a few weeks ago, by my surprise, there was some kind of resin on the gaskets, my belief is that it looked more like paint than anything else, black paint that is.
And it was all over the pistons dish, valves, u name it, got the heads to a machine shop to check for warpage, lucky me, no warpage, but i told the dudes to resurface them anyways, they where dirty, very dirty. Bought bolts and gaskets and used gasket sealant on the side of the heads, it was too damn cold to put it on the deck too.

I keep u guys posted, with this experience i learned to change all gaskets and bolts even if its a new engine, specialy the head gaskets.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #28
Rack Man

Man...who rebuilt that engine....It sounds like someone used gasket sealer on the head gaskets....and you should never do that!

Your overheating problem could be from the bad gaskets or a combination of things including your timing!.....

But first I'm gonna back it up a bit....With regards to fans & fan shrouds.....Your shroud and position of the fan in the shroud is VERY important....especially at low speeds & idle....

The fan needs to be placed just inside the edge of the shroud to do it's job as designed. When your fan is placed in the correct location it creates a vacuum chamber of sorts and sucks air through the encompassed area (shroud area). Different fans will pull different amounts of air at given speeds, but right now your fan is simply blowing air over your engine, which is why you are experiencing heat at low speeds/idle. Once you begin to increase the airflow through the radiator by driving the car the radiator takes over.

Dan

Last edited by Rack Man; 12-16-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #29
killer_mike
Big Red & Mister Blue...

Yep, i took that in count. But i dont remenber if it was on this thread or another that someone said that i should check the rad for air bubbles when the engine is running, that could be a compression leak, wich makes sense, even though i made a compression test. Not discarding any ideas, i bought the shroud too. But i will finish up putting it all together and go from there wich it shouldnt give me any problems after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
I'm gonna back it up a bit....Your shroud and position of the fan in the shroud is very important....especially at low speeds & idle....

The fan needs to be placed just inside the edge of the shroud to do it's job as designed. When your fan is placed in the correct location it creates a vacuum chamber of sorts and sucks air through the encompassed area (shroud area). Different fans will pull different amounts of air at given speeds, but right now your fan is simply blowing air over your engine, which is why you are experiencing heat at low speeds/idle. Once you begin to increase the airflow through the radiator by driving the car the radiator takes over.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #30
Rack Man

Ok...but based on the description of your very first post in this thread...and if you were indeed shroudless....I'm almost positive that the lack of a shroud was at least part if not all of the culprit....

Thats why it ran good at night and at high speeds!....if it was any of those other problems it would have overheated on your long trip as well

Last edited by Rack Man; 12-16-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote