The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #26
ofnaman

Re: So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I dont see the point of putting in a flathead myself. 99 percent of the time the hood will be closed anyway. Do you know flatheads? Do you know the mechanics of building one and keeping them running correctly? It takes quite a bit of modification and money to pump up the horse power to just match a relatively stock Chevy small block.

Im not knocking them. They have their place. I have a V8 flatty and a three speed trans just sitting in case someday I ever want to build a little hot rod (not a rat rod). Then again I also have a 283 with a three speed with OD just sitting...That would be for a much more reliable and easy to source parts for hotrod =)

If the truck is going to be your wifes I would certainly put something in there that was going to be reliable first.

I do know a little about flathead fords, and as far as it being my wife's, I'll drive it 99% of the time anyway's. I've been having a change of heart as of late though. I think I am going to build a high output 250 or 292. Maybe even turbo or supercharged. I will NOT be putting a small block chevy in it. They are great engine's and are very cheap to build (compared to others), but I am soooooo sick of seeing them in everything (if you have on in your's I am not saying they are not cool, I have them in several of my vehicles, I am just tired of them and want something different). I wanted to put the 402 out of my '70 in it, but I think I want to save that engine for my future drag car/truck project. I have been doing a lot of reading on the inline's and have found several people's setups that I really like. I put an ad on Craigslist for one near me and have recieved several offers already (all for under $200, complete). I am not dead set on a flatty or an inline yet, and I appreciate all of the input so far, and Daniel U, I have even thought about some very "unconventional" engine/trans combo's. Thank's again for all of the input.